• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Le' Hermione Voyage 2015

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
It's been a while since anyone has posted anything about her, so I thought I would update progress on Le Hermione. For those of you who do not know about her, she is a reproduction of the Marquis de Lafayette's Concorde class frigate Hermione. She was origanly concieved in 1992, and construction began 1997 in Rochefort, France, by the Asselin organization. The original ship was constructed in a little over a year, while the reproduction has so far taken 16 to complete! The goal of The Hermione Project is to recreate the 1780 voyage of the Marquis de Lafayette, when he sailed to America and helped secure victory for the American Revolution. The trip is scheduled to start on April 25'th, 2015.

This video shows the various stages of her construction through 2010, unfortunately it is not very high quality, but it is still quite fascinating!

Le Hermione was launched on the Charente river on July 6'th, 2012.

She has since been fitted out with her masts and has been completely rigged in 2013. She will get her sails soon and she is currently scheduled to undergo sea trails in September 2014.

Some other videos(with French audio)

The Hermione, and the French help Lafayette had secured, were key to several naval and land victories at the time, and invaluable to a fledgling US Army and Navy that was outnumbered and overmatched by much more experienced British forces. Lafayette originally sailed to Boston in 1780, this time around the journey will head for Yorktown, Virginia. It will start from the mouth of the River Charente, in France in Port-des- Barques, where Lafayette boarded on March 10, 1780. The transatlantic crossing is expected to take 42 days in total.

During her trip to America in 2015, Le Hermione will make several other stops along the east coast including :

Washington , D.C.

Annapolis, MD.

Baltimore, MD

Philadelphia. PA

New York, NY

Boston, MA

Greenport, NY

Halifax, Nova Scotia.

You can find out much more about the project over on their web page HERE, and they also have a fantastic PDF brochure detailing quite a lot about the ship and her 2015 voyage which you can download HERE!

Attachments

• Le_Hermione_2015.png
    Le_Hermione_2015.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 29
Funding might have been an issue? How long have they been working on the Seven Provincien at the Bataviawerf now?
Not going anywhere quick, from what I gather.

Possibly, it makes you think though, if it took little of one year for the orginal surly we could do it in less? But atleast there nealy finished. Do they have any predicted dates of completion for the Seven Provincein?

A good read! :)It's nice that they are finally putting the details of the trip out there. One minor French grammar correction: L'Hermione not Le Hermione

Possibly, it makes you think though, if it took little of one year for the orginal surly we could do it in less?
They could. But since it is not a matter of great importance, like it used to be back in the early days, they don't. :shrug

A good read! :)It's nice that they are finally putting the details of the trip out there. One minor French grammar correction: L'Hermione not Le Hermione

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, I never was very good at French, and I am only marginally better at English! :aar

Possibly, it makes you think though, if it took little of one year for the orginal surly we could do it in less? But atleast there nealy finished.

One thing to keep in mind also, back in 1779, shipwrights were pretty darned skilled at their craft, and there were a whole lot more of them at that time. But I am sure Pieter is correct, most of the reason it took so long was probably funding. Those huge beams and thick planking are certainly not cheap, you can't even buy a real 2x4 any more. I don't think I have seen a monetary figure listed anywhere, but I will keep an eye out for one.

Back