• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Leadership and fleet sizes

Exiffa

Powder Monkey
Hey guys, new player here.

I've just started playing the New Horizons mod a couple of days ago and first of all, I just have to say what an amazing job you guys have done on this. To think a game from so long ago is still being supported and still holds its own against some other titles today.

I was just wondering about the leadership stat. I don't really know what some of the attribute and abilities do I just dived into the game and tried to figure them out (over several saves) as I go. I've just captured a small Naval Cutter (god this thing is fast) from pirates and tried adding it to my fleet with my first mate in command. There were no objections from the game and it let me add it to my fleet.

The "Problem" I'm having is that my first mate (Who is now in command of the Cutter) seems to be drunk, or blind. He doesn't seem to be responding to my orders "As I would expect". I gave him the order to "Defend" my current ship. Instead of following behind me like I expected him to do, he decided to sail to shore and furl his sails next to a cliff.

What is the minimum leadership level required to command a second vessel? And does finer command of a fleet improve with each level of leadership?

Thanks, I'm having so much fun messing around in game.

I think this is what you're looking for from PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h:
Code:
#define FLEETCOMMAND_MIN_LEVEL           5     // INT 1-10 - min. level of leadership at which character can command more than a single ship

The AI for companion ships isn't always the best though,

Ah, I suppose my measly 2 leadership was the problem then. I guess it didn't tell me that I was too low because of my first mate... who was boosting my stats... who I assigned as captain...

Thanks! :D

Quick question: What do the two numbers on attributes represent? As in Leadership 2-3 or Luck 1-2?

Ah, I suppose my measly 2 leadership was the problem then. I guess it didn't tell me that I was too low because of my first mate... who was boosting my stats... who I assigned as captain...
That sounds like it could have happened. LOL! :rofl
What was the leadership on that officer anyway?

- Why are there two numbers for skills on the character sheet?
The first is the character's "native" skill; the second is the skill after bonuses and penalties from items AND/OR ship class have been taken into account.
That is one of the things you can find in the Tips & Tricks interface from the main game menu. You might want to have a look through that some time to see if there is any other useful stuff there. :doff

That officer's Leadership was 7. My leadership was 2-1. Not sure where the penalty is coming from though. I tried switching out the captain of the second vessel with my gunner and that managed to bring my leadership back up to 2-2.

Thanks for the tip. I had skimmed over the Tips & Tricks section a couple of times when I was first starting out. I guess the numbers for attributes weren't that important to me then. :cheers

Leadership 7, eh? Indeed that would explain why you didn't get the pop-up warning.

You might get the Leadership penalty because your ship is too large for you.
When returning that Leadership 7 first officer to your ship, you would have high enough skills again and no more penalty.

Maybe we should look into this and see if we can get the pop up to appear if your leadership is not high enough yet.
Altough I won't have time for it now.
Does anyone know where the popup is generated which is displayed when the officer you assign to a ship isn't high enough?

Search PROGRAM\INTERFACE for EnableLimitedShipClass , especially the ransack and transfer files.

Maybe we should look into this and see if we can get the pop up to appear if your leadership is not high enough yet.
Altough I won't have time for it now.
Does anyone know where the popup is generated which is displayed when the officer you assign to a ship isn't high enough?
Yeah, that would be great! :keith

Could someone maybe check this?
It should give you a warning if you don't have enough leadership anymore to sail your own ship. But I don't know for sure if it will still count for the other officer you still have so please let me know.
It has to go in:
\PROGRAM\INTERFACE

Just had a quick look at that code and it seems to me that should work. Or at least help. :onya

Thanks! I switched out the officers and now the cutter follows closely behind :). It's not very active in combat but I suspect that's down to the skills of the officer commanding it.

Could you check if it does give you an error when you assign the officer and you don't have enough skill points for leadership?

Just tested it out.

It seems to be working the wrong way around. It will let me assign the 7 leadership officer as captain with no warning but if I try to transfer any of the other officers I get a warning along the lines of "If you transfer this officer you won't have enough leadership on your ship anymore". These officers have low leadership and were not contributing leadership.

The ship I was assigning officers to was a Naval Cutter (Tier 7) and the ship I was commanding was a Heavy Pinnace (Tier 5). I can't command the Tier 5 effectively without the leadership bonuses from the 7 leadership officer.

Sorry if I'm not very clear. I'm a bit tired when writing this

I understand. Will look into it more. Probally I check the wrong skillset. I tought I had the skills with bonusses etc but probally I have it without.
Will look into it later.

Just got around to testing it out.

When I try to assign the First mate I get the prompt telling me that my leadership won't be enough. However, the "Yes" and "No" options for the prompt seem to be reversed. If I click "Yes" then everything will stay as it was but if I click "No" then it will do the transfer.

It also won't let me assign any officers as captains any more. It will only let me assign the first mate. who will trigger the prompt.

I can change the the buttons but I have no idea why it doesn't let you assign any other officers. Do you have an error.log file?

Is the error.log stored in the root directory? If so then I don't think I have one. I tried to replicate the problem again with logging set to verbose (if that affects error logging?) and no error.log

Thanks for the help btw. Still loving this mod ;)

Back