• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

LEGO's Without Pirates???

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Ok, this one has me baffled, I was looking through press releases today when I ran across the one below. Funcom, an independent developer and publisher of online games for PC and consoles, has reached an agreement with LEGO Group to develop to develop a massively multiplayer online game based on the hugely popular LEGO® Minifigures franchise. In the press release however, they fail to mention pirates! This has me completely baffled, pirates and LEGO's have been synonymous for decades, you can't have one without the other, period! They mention knights, and firefighters, and even a guy in a monkey suit but not a single pirate! Their entire marketing department should be keelhauled! I sure hope they are much better at game development than they are marketing, cause this game has the potential to be a lot of fun, but not without pirates!! The LEGO forum Classic-Pirates is a great example of just how prolific and inseparable pirates and LEGO's are!

Durham, USA – June 28 th, 2012 – Funcom, a world leading independent developer and publisher of online games, is excited to announce that the company has signed a license agreement with the LEGO Group, one of the world’s most successful manufacturers of play materials, to develop a massively multiplayer online game based on the hugely popular LEGO® Minifigures franchise.

LEGO® Minifigures are the inhabitants of an unimaginable number of spectacular creations put together by both kids and grown-ups over the past several decades. Whether it is a knight in shining armor, a brave firefighter or just an oddball in a gorilla suit, these figures breath life into elaborately constructed cities, castles and even space stations around the world. The LEGO Group estimates that 340 million minifigures will be produced in 2012 (including minifigures not part of the LEGO® Minifigures collectibles).

The massively multiplayer online game that Funcom will develop based on the LEGO® Minifigures franchise will focus on maximum accessibility. Funcom and the LEGO Group will work together to make the game available to consumers in their online channels and will be coordinating activities to provide a broad and enhanced experience for the product line. The game will be a prominent part of the LEGO® Minifigures online experience which already has millions of unique visitors per month.

“The market for family-friendly online experiences intended for children and youngsters is brimming with potential,” says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “Being able to work with a world-renowned brand such as the LEGO® brand to develop an MMO for this audience is incredibly exciting to us as game developers and for Funcom as a company. This is source material we all know and love and we simply cannot wait to get started working with the LEGO Group on realizing this exciting project.”
For more information about Funcom please visit http://www.funcom.com. More information about LEGO® Minifigures can be found on the official website.

###
ABOUT FUNCOM - Funcom is an independent developer and publisher of online games for PC and consoles. Funcom has provided outstanding entertainment since 1993 and continues to expand its track-record of more than twenty released games. Recent titles include ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’, ‘The Longest Journey', 'Anarchy Online' and 'Dreamfall: The Longest Journey'. For corporate information please visit www.funcom.com. For information about Funcom games visit www.anarchy-online.com, www.dreamfall.com, www.thesecretworld.com or www.ageofconan.com. Funcom is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker FUNCOM.

It's interesting that I should run across this press release right now, because I was just having a discussion elswhere on the forums about LEGO pirate videos recently. I have spent many an hour looking through countless Youtube videos for great pirate adventures, and there really are quite a few. The videos range from clever short 30 second skits, all the way up to full blown 2 hour epics! So I figure what the heck, I'll post a couple.

Attachments

• 220px-LEGO_logo.svg.png
    220px-LEGO_logo.svg.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 12
I've been keeping an eye on the LEGO Minifigures line and for whatever reason, indeed so far, there AREN'T any pirates in it.
Closest they've got is a musketeer, which admittedly is very cool too. Who knows what the next series might bring though?

They are probably negotiating some kind of marketing deal with Disney before they announce anything pirate related.

Possibly. The only pirate stuff they've got at the moment is PotC stuff, but I wouldn't expect any new of that unless they release another movie.
And they have had elves and space characters in the Minifigures lines while developing LEGO Lord of the Rings and having LEGO Star Wars as well.
So it can go either way, I suppose. It IS surprising they haven't had a single pirate yet though, despite having cavemen and a guy in a monkey suit. :shock

As per series 8, the Minifigures line officially DOES have pirates in it:
7561878800_25238e302d_o.jpg

So who knows... maybe that there movie will have pirates after all?

Ah, it's about time! I am pretty sure there are pirates in that new movie Pieter, but I am not sure how much, there is at least one scene on a pirate ship.

Back