• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Levelling: Cannonball Hits Slow Down Game

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
This is on the Build 14 Beta 4 WIP dated 15 Nov 2015, with the latest "Levis Fix" archive include.
Performance has been dropping before when cannons fire, but never as bad as this.

After a second test, this doesn't seem so bad. I think this happened because my laptop had its power save settings still enabled.
Switched it to "High Performance" and it went back to normal. Or close to it anyway.

I'm reopening this one. While it isn't as bad as I thought, it IS a real issue and if we can improve on it, I'm sure that would be a tremendous step forward again.
The main question is though: How bothersome is this in its current state? Does anyone else notice this too? And if so, how bad?

Notice that , game stops every time after fireing cannons, it is "stop and go", very big performance drop.

Notice that , game stops every time after fireing cannons, it is "stop and go", very big performance drop.
What are your computer specifications?
I noticed this myself when I had enabled the "power save settings" on my laptop, which basically exaggerated the issue.

It is Intel in there, so I use the Intel Card fix, and SwiftShader. Things are much better for me with earlier update, (beta3.5, or beta4 before 5 Nov).
Game was never so bad as now. :(

It is Intel in there, so I use the Intel Card fix, and SwiftShader.
Intel Fix AND SwiftShader????????
You need ONLY the Intel Fix. Get rid of SwiftShader as soon as you can! :whipa

Why do people keep using SwiftShader? I removed that from all ModDB PotC pages years ago.
Where did you find it? It should show up only for AoP/CoAS anymore, because our PotC Intel Fix doesn't work for those two games.

OK, Ill try without SwiftShader.
So what is min. system requirement to run this game smoothly?

Last edited:
I would say you are about at the minimum system requirements. Every year as the game gets improved the requirements go up. :shrug The intel graphics is the worst part.

There is one thing you can try. Go into program-->internalsettings.h and scroll down towards the bottom to the "logs, looks, and effects" section and play with the settings there. 2-3 years ago there was a debate about just what to set them to.

you should be able to run the game without any problems.
But indeed remove swift shader because it adds a lot of overhead.
Also at which resolution are you playing?
And are you playing full screen or not?

There have always being a little drop in performance those seconds you
fire the cannons. Its not bad and hardly noticeable.

Levis & Peter
Uninstaled SwiftShader.
Playing in 1280 x 800, not in full screen mode (can go out wit alt + tab).

Levis & Peter
Uninstaled SwiftShader.
Playing in 1280 x 800, not in full screen mode (can go out wit alt + tab).
still having performance issues now?

Just started New game wit Hornblower, must see what will happend in sea battle.
But I notice that game did not respond always the same way. Somethimes goes better after starting New game or reinstall.
When it is in the worst, then even you walking in the town its jerky.

This is on the Build 14 Beta 4 WIP dated 15 Nov 2015, with the latest "Levis Fix" archive include.
Performance has been dropping before when cannons fire, but never as bad as this.
I can also confirm performance drop when cannons fire. It is more noticeable when a larger number of ships is in the battle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that the cannon smoke contributes to performance drop. To me the smoke texture seems edited. If I remember correct, smoke in original POTC wasn't as good as now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that the cannon smoke contributes to performance drop.
If the camera is right in the middle of the particle effects, perhaps.

To me the smoke texture seems edited. If I remember correct, smoke in original POTC wasn't as good as now?
Indeed all those particle effects were redone (twice) several years ago.
That wouldn't affect performance though; a texture that looks different is still as much a texture as it was before. :shrug

If the camera is right in the middle of the particle effects, perhaps.

Indeed all those particle effects were redone (twice) several years ago.
That wouldn't affect performance though; a texture that looks different is still as much a texture as it was before. :shrug
If that so, than its ok :)

Despite my laptop being set to "High Performance" now, I got a pretty bad example of this issue.
I was sailing the cursed Flying Dutchman and fired my starboard cannons on the Kralendijk fort while at the same time firing the port ones on a passing ship.
Very notable slow-down there.

Back