• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

High Priority Levelling: Some Captains Not Correctly Initialized until Too Late

The only odd thing I notice is that a couple of the skills are flagged as red in the left column - usually skills which are penalised or enhanced are flagged red or green in the right column. And although the skills are marked red, they're the same value in both left and right columns. Beyond that, I don't know what happens to them because anyone I capture gets ransomed. I get enough officers from other sources, and they don't have skills marked in red.

The only odd thing I notice is that a couple of the skills are flagged as red in the left column - usually skills which are penalised or enhanced are flagged red or green in the right column. And although the skills are marked red, they're the same value in both left and right columns.
Captains who surrender get -1 on Leadership and Boarding.
This is something that @Maximus added many, MANY years ago and after @Levis' updates, it is now much more obvious that this happens.

I am not sure if this is something we should want though. It is easy enough to stop that from happening; just remove these lines from LAi_boarding.c:
Code:
   string id = "surrender";
   string desc = "This captain surrendered";
   SetSkillCharMod(refEnCaptain, "Leadership", -1, id, desc); //Levis
   SetSkillCharMod(refEnCaptain, "Grappling", -1, id, desc); //Levis

So if you don't think this is a good feature to have, then I'll get rid of it for the next update. :doff

Captains who surrender get -1 on Leadership and Boarding.
This is something that @Maximus added many, MANY years ago and after @Levis' updates, it is now much more obvious that this happens.

I am not sure if this is something we should want though. It is easy enough to stop that from happening; just remove these lines from LAi_boarding.c:
Code:
   string id = "surrender";
   string desc = "This captain surrendered";
   SetSkillCharMod(refEnCaptain, "Leadership", -1, id, desc); //Levis
   SetSkillCharMod(refEnCaptain, "Grappling", -1, id, desc); //Levis

So if you don't think this is a good feature to have, then I'll get rid of it for the next update. :doff
Pieter,
I personally don't like it. In the real world a person would not loose their skills but may have a reputation / confidence drop due to being made the brunt of jokes - so I would be happy to see it gone altogether.

A penalty in leadership could be explained. But boarding is weird indeed.

I agree with Levis that leadership skill drop could make sense. That skill should be partly about your perception among the men.

Maybe the idea with the grappling skill drop was they become timid from their loss, and thus less courageous boarders? And the men under their command are less likely to be couragous boarders, knowing their leader has lost before?

If they can earn the lost skill back over time, both keeping and removing it have a certain kind of logic to them, and either could make sense. But the current implementation seems to make a permanent modifier?

If that is the case, would it be possible to replace it instead with a function that simply reduces their current leadership and grappling by 1? Then over time they could repair their perception among the men and find their courage, building their skill back up.

Last edited:
That is already the case, no?
They should still be able to get up to 10; it just takes a bit longer.

Pieter,

Great! I was just misunderstanding the implications of those lines of code then. :)

Then I think it makes sense either way.

Back