• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Levis' Stuff [October 7th (v2)]

Upgrades for ships in the shipyard could be used to make a certain ship more attractive to buy. Since the upgrades cost more than the ship it might be a way to get a better ship without having to wait until one has much more money.

The reinforced hull and copper plating are the only ones I can think of that are not simple addons that can be done quickly.

Fixed the bug in the interface. @Pieter Boelen I think you mean the gambling interface right? I fixed it there atleast.
Also added the info to the description of high stakes, and added some info to the smuggler perks.
Everything included in the file in the first post.

Updated zipfile

If you hire a captain from an enemy ship he or she will still be the officertype captain (navy, merchant or pirate). This means he or she will contribute more perks then a normal officer ;).
This makes it more rewarding to hire them as officer. Mind that once you change theire type there is no way to move it back so be carefull with that.

If you hire a captain from an enemy ship he or she will still be the officertype captain (navy, merchant or pirate). This means he or she will contribute more perks then a normal officer ;).
This makes it more rewarding to hire them as officer. Mind that once you change theire type there is no way to move it back so be carefull with that.
Isn't that a bit odd? You're not hiring your enemy to put him straight in charge of a ship of yours, are you?
The only reason why enemy captains contribute more skills than normal officers is because enemy ships don't have officers and otherwise they'd be at a disadvantage.
But with this change, they would be at a disadvantage again because YOU can get amazing officers and they are still by themselves. :facepalm

No you hire them and they become passengers first.
I think its weird if they don't keep theire contributing skills and it will motivate people more to gain officers this way.
If you are woried about the disadvantage that could be arranged ...
I mean most ships now had a captain which was able to use more perks but he didn't had many cause only perks from a certain group where picked. Now at least they are picked from the right group.
I could look into a way to make it less of a disadvantage. I think this will probably only be used early ingame because it gets you a more allround officer. But when you get to the points you can have more of them it will become less usefull and you will specialize them more.

Maybe remove the captains' "officer type" assignment once you hire them altogether.
They'll HAVE the correct skills to be a captain. But they won't contribute them until YOU assign them a post.
So then they'll never contribute them all at the same time to the player.

I could do that but I like this ... let me think about it a bit more and let people test it to see if they are actually underpowered.
I think I would be able to add officers to ships so the captains would have a better chance of winning....

This is the idea I have:

There is something called the contriblist. This is a list for characters to check if perks are contributed to them by other characters. What if I add some perks to this list for captains of other ships. As soon as they are hired this list should be removed automaticly. This way I can add perks for certain ships. like there are officers on board.
I was thinking depending on the type tier of the ship etc to add more or less.
So lower tier ships might only have basic ship defense while higher tier ships have most of the perks.

I could do that but I like this ... let me think about it a bit more and let people test it to see if they are actually underpowered.
I think I would be able to add officers to ships so the captains would have a better chance of winning....
Then we would need no more captain officer types.
Might get complicated. Would you be able to hire them too? Will we get officer overkill?

There is something called the contriblist. This is a list for characters to check if perks are contributed to them by other characters. What if I add some perks to this list for captains of other ships. As soon as they are hired this list should be removed automaticly. This way I can add perks for certain ships. like there are officers on board.
I was thinking depending on the type tier of the ship etc to add more or less.
So lower tier ships might only have basic ship defense while higher tier ships have most of the perks.
I figure that captains of non-player ships may contribute EVERY skill and ability they've got. After all, the player does too.
And of course they should probably have more skills than the player does because they're one-person officer teams.
But once they join the player, they'll still have their large set of skills. But they will contribute only those which fit with the role they are given by the player.

Advantage to hiring captains then is that they're quite flexible as they have quite a lot of skills and you can use them for a lot of different things.
They won't use all their skills at the same time, but the player can swap their roles without having to "teach" them other skills as much as for a specific officer type.

Okay, going to change it to this:
Captains will have a lot of perks.
if you hire them none Will contribute unless you assign him to a post.
OR if you assign him to a ship. If he has a ship he can stay the captain type.

Changed it now. it's included in the zip in the build.

I thought any officer you place in command of a ship becomes Captain type. So if you've hired a surgeon who already has all the surgeon perks, that officer then gains experience (all officers get a percentage of any experience you gain, those who are active companions get more) and earns some more perks. You give him some navigation and/or gunnery perks, then put him in charge of a ship, and I'd expect him to use everything.

Meanwhile, back at the shipyard:
Some ships at the shipyard certainly ought to have upgrades because they had the upgrades when I sold the ship to the shipyard. :rpirate This may very well include the corsair refit, bearing in mind that in most games, attacking pirate ships is one sure way to get favour with every governor who sold you a LoM, and pirate ships often have this refit. But those ships are also likely to be damaged.

Would it be possible to have a new section in the shipyard for second-hand ships? These could have random upgrades and a random amount of damage. New ships, which are what you buy now, are fully intact and have no upgrades until you pay to install them.

I thought any officer you place in command of a ship becomes Captain type. So if you've hired a surgeon who already has all the surgeon perks, that officer then gains experience (all officers get a percentage of any experience you gain, those who are active companions get more) and earns some more perks. You give him some navigation and/or gunnery perks, then put him in charge of a ship, and I'd expect him to use everything.
That is what I would expect too. Any character in charge of a ship should contribute ALL skills, just like the player, I reckon.

Some ships at the shipyard certainly ought to have upgrades because they had the upgrades when I sold the ship to the shipyard. :rpirate This may very well include the corsair refit
That reminds me, that upgrade description still claims it is a "Flush Deck" upgrade and it is not.

Would it be possible to have a new section in the shipyard for second-hand ships? These could have random upgrades and a random amount of damage. New ships, which are what you buy now, are fully intact and have no upgrades until you pay to install them.
Not sure that is worth the effort? I always figured the ships for sale are ones already there and they could be new or old, but repaired by the shipyard.

The point is that if you're getting the upgrades cheaply by buying them already built into the ship as opposed to buying them for an existing ship (and waiting the day for an upgrade to be fitted), there ought to be some disadvantage as well.

@Levis: I think I am dealing with some incomplete code here and there.
For example, I noticed that this line was NOT in any file anywhere, though I thought you DID add that at some point:
Code:
  //==============================| Oranjestad Port |=============================//
//JRH
   ch.old.name = "Jimmy";
   ch.old.lastname = "Carl Black";
   ch.name = TranslateString("","Jimmy");
   ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Carl Black");
   ch.id     = "indian_storekeeper";
   ch.model = "indian_trader";
   ch.sex = "man";
   ch.location   = "Oranjestad_Store_02";
   ch.location.group = "merchant";
   ch.location.locator = "merchant1";
   ch.Dialog.Filename = "Cornelis Huijser_dialog.c";
   ch.Dialog.Filename.Ayahuasca = "ayahuasca_trading.c"; <---------- THIS LINE -----------
If there is one file I am pretty sure was modded but I cannot find, there might be more.
So please do a complete install with the new EXE on a COPY of your game version and do a complete WinMerge on it.
I wouldn't want us to lose good stuff! :shock

ok I will do a check :)

Back