• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

L'Hermione Update, Leaving Port Soon!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
It's been two weeks now since L'Hermione has been holed up in La Rochelle, that may finally be about to change, but it wont happen till Sunday at the earliest. From what I have I have been able to find out through translated French news stories, the Italian expert that came to La Rochelle to take a look at the engine earlier this week insisted that they take the ship to Italy for the Italian companies experts to look it over, they refused to send a repair team to France on this short of notice.

They also refused to let L'Hermiones mechanics open up the engine to examine the problems because that would void the warranty. Sounds like typical corporate double talk to me. Anyway, it seems they do have a spare engine that they can mount that will at least allow L'Hermione to meet international maritime safety regulations that require ships of L'Hermiones size to have engines. Although the spare engine is capable of manoeuvring her, it does not have as much power as the failed engine. Finally though, they can get back to sea and continue crew training for the voyage.

Unfortunately, that means that L'Hermione will not be able to make her scheduled stop in Brest on the 26'th. They do still plan on being in Bordeaux October 9-13, where they will be giving ship tours. If I understand what I read correctly, after L'Hermione finishes her sea trials in November, the Italian team will come to France to service the failed engine and get her ready for the Atlantic crossing in April of 2015!

The two articles I based this on can be found HERE and HERE in the original French, and HERE, and HERE in English through Google Translate! There are also some great pictures attached to the articles, so I highly recommend clicking through and looking at the original articles!

Also, just a reminder, coming up on October 14'th in New York on the retired US Aircraft Carrier Intrepid the Friends of Hermione-Lafayette in America society will be holding a Gala to raise funds for the 2015 Atlantic voyage. Scheduled to speak is American TV host and personality Charlie Rose, and also former Secretary of State Dr. Henry Kissinger!

They will also be auctioning off many items to raise duns, such as THIS one recently announced on their twitter feed! They will also reveal more details about upcoming projects such as a reality TV show that will be filmed aboard L'Hermione, a TV Documentary about the ship and her construction, and a full blown PC game based on Lafayette and his flagship Hermione!

Attachments

• L_Hermione_2015.png
    L_Hermione_2015.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 40
And just a bit of an update on the update!

Update on the testing program
September 2014
September 24, 2014

. The causes of damage to the engine are identified.

. Both engines will be dismantled in place and repaired in Italy.

. The two prototype engines will be installed and tested on board Pallice from Friday to Sunday.

. If the trials are successful the port, the sea Hermione resume Monday to continue its testing program.

The expertise of the starboard engine of the Hermione, conducted Tuesday, September 23, identified the cause of the failure, which occurred during sea trials and to immediately implement a program of action to make the most quickly as possible the necessary repairs.

Both engines in place since the start of Rochefort today are dismantled and transported to Italy for replacement of defective parts.

Immediately, to allow rapid resumption of sea trials of the Hermione, the Association Hermione-La Fayette, in agreement with its supplier Masson Marine and his Italian subcontractor ACM, decided to immediately install Hermione aboard the two prototype engines originally manufactured.

These engines will be tested from Friday until Sunday in the port of La Pallice. Where the engine tests are satisfactory, they will continue offshore from Monday, September 29 to allow Hermione to resume its test program, with the green light from maritime authorities.

This test program will be amended to reflect the characteristics of the engine and to ensure the smooth running of the airport of Bordeaux.

Google Translate of the original French text HERE!

Back