• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

L'Hermione Update, Stuck in Port!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
It's been a couple of weeks since I really looked up anything on L'Hermione, she was supposed to be headed back to her dry dock of Napoleon III, but there seems to be a bit of a problem. When she first left for her sea trails, she was delayed a day because of a buildup of mud and silt outside the dock. Apparently that mud and silt were supposed to be dredged to allow her back in to the doc, but that has not happened yet, and she has been sitting in the commercial port at Rochefort since here return November 9'th. She is now scheduled to return to her drydock December 5'th or 6'th, when they are expecting the silt to have been removed.

They have been offering some free guided tours of the ship, and will continue to do so until she departs in early December. I have not been able to find out why they are just now dredging out her drydock, and didn't do that during her 2 months of sea trials, I don't quite understand. From what I have read, the river regularly deposits mud and silt in the area, and it is something that they are used to having to deal with. Which makes the situation even more perplexing to me, it seems this is something that should have definitely been anticipated and planned for. It may very well have been and I am just missing something in the translation.

There has been a bit of back and forth finger pointing, but other than the failed engine pod back in September, this is the biggest failure that they have had to deal with during her sea trails. Considering all the planning, the 17 years of construction, the miles of ropes and rigging, I would say that was quite a successful first voyage!

This is another video I ran across from France 24 featuring L'Hermione, but also talking about the interest in sail and wind power that she has generated over the past few months. The video also features Fair Transport Shipping and Trading BV’s sailing vessel “Tres Hombres”, which seems to be doing some good business delivering exclusive sail powered wine and beer!

Attachments

• L'Hermione_voyage_2015.png
    L'Hermione_voyage_2015.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 26
Back