• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

L'Hermione Update, Technical Stopover in Brest!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Just a bit of an update on L'Hermione. After leaving Bordeaux, she ran north for a short technical stopover in Brest over the weekend. Some of the volunteer crew left the boat and were replaced with other volunteers. On the way to Brest though, they did get a taste of what the Atlantic has in store for them next spring as they encountered some inclement weather for the first time. The crew was put to the test, as you can see in the following video.

One thing I have noticed in the latest batch of videos I have seen is the ship is starting to show some signs of weathering. Gone is the pristine, shiny look of the ship in videos from the last few years, and she is beginning to look like she belongs on the sea! I have also noticed that effect on some of her crew as well. You can see both pretty good in this video.

After the stopover in Brest, she will head back ou for another couple of weeks of sea trails, then she will put back in to her drydock in Rochefort for the winter. Where she will once again be open for visitors. Here are a couple of DailyMotion videos that show a couple of different perspectives.

A short 18 seconds video filmed from the foremast of Hermione

And some great video shot from the bowsprit of L'Hermione of some dolphins getting a free ride!

Attachments

• L'Hermione_voyage_2015.png
    L'Hermione_voyage_2015.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 28
Yes, they are getting their first taste of real sailing. While I never worked on a sailing ship I did work on the waterfront, far in the air, in all weather and I can relate to what they are doing in the videos.
I noticed that none of them wear gloves which tells me that the ropes have weathered some and are now easier to handle. I always hated new rope.......

I was looking at the live tracking data on marinetraffic.com before I left for work and I noticed that she had taken a bit of a detour and is now anchored off the coast of Cornwall in the port of Mawnan! They must either be doing a bit of sightseeing, or they are scouting for another invasion of England! I don't remember that little being mentioned anywhere in the itinerary I saw!

Also, I ran across some pictures over on a French maritime site from her stop in Brest, it seems she had quite a bit of company! Several French naval vessels, and even the US nuclear attack sub USS California! You can see the pictures on the Google Translated site HERE!

Back