• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Limitations on audio?

Edward Low

Landlubber
Hey, please move this tread if it's the wrong forum.

I started making a new sound pack for potc. Which in addition to some new music, including your crew yells "FIRE" when firing shots, shouts "RAISE THE BLACK" / "HOIST THE COLORS" when you raise the black flag. ect.

But I've run into some problems. Some of the audio files simply will not play. I have no problems with the music files but the sound effects at sea, will not play ??

Do storm engine has some limitations on sample rates and / or bit depth, I must calculate on? As it is now, I can't proceed with the project until I have solved this.

I have taken account on the length of the sound file does not exceed the originals, although it either should not make a difference.

Edit: If it is possible to make it done, and you like it, I will of course hand it over to the Pirates Ahoy team :)

Last edited:
I know the game can be a pit picky on its sound files; the wrong ones will cause a crash.
But if it isn't crashing, then something else might be going on.

What code are you using to play them? And is there anything in system.log indicating the game is failing to load them?

For .wav files I use:

22050 Hz
16 bit Mono
352 kb/s

as I found such files in stock POTC.

For changing values I use the program Eufony or Ufony which has a free trial version.

I have noticed that the game dont like too heavy files - which is a shame too compromising the sound quality .. (choppy music and the known bugs that sea battles worsen)

I didn't changed the codes for this. I just recorded sound from "Black Sails", "Master And Comander" and "POTC", exported them to the correct audio files and file types. Nothing changed beyond the content of the files.

I can not not directly find audio related errors in my system.log. If it is, it should be in these lines, but there is nothing I'll suggest:

Mem state: User memory: 2323 MSSystem: 336 Blocks: 21
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 117
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 127
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 114
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 119
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 119
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 19
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 109
Leak: 'Bad memory address' line 0, size 115

..The rest is broadly texture errors

For .wav files I use:

22050 Hz
16 bit Mono
352 kb/s

as I found such files in stock POTC.

For changing values I use the program Eufony or Ufony which has a free trial version.

Oh that may be it. I have exported them with 44,100 kHz and 32 bit stereo.
I use Cubase 5 so the sound is as good as possible :)

But thank you very much Jack. I'll try to change the values :)

Stereo sounds are also possible:

44100 Hz
16 bit stereo
1411 kb/s

or

22050 Hz
16 bit Stereo
705 kb/s

Only 2 examples.

When sound files are in the "wrong" format there will be only silence, no direct errorlog
as I remember it.

Back