• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Linux PotC

[CoFR]Kendrick

Landlubber
I am currently trying to get potc to run on my linux box. I installed build 13 hoping the fixes by the community might make things a bit easier. so far it does the initial load screan of dll's and then black screen and sticks. It is currently using about 1.8gb memory and sticking 1 thread @ 66% cpu. I am running it windowed in wine so it doesnt lock things up if it freaks out.

Any suggestions on it would be appriciated. I do have an intel video on this pc and am running it from crossover office.

I also wonder if it is possible to run it in opengl.

just crashed and I can post the crash dump info if requested.

To answer my own questions: The Intel Fix was hidden under "Addons" instead of Mods and for some strange reason SwiftShader was still linked to the PotC mods when it shouldn't have been.
So I have now corrected that. It still remains available for AoP/CoAS because the better PotC Intel Fix doesn't work for those games.

Well I tried again with a different method to start wine and got it to work. Play on Linux with a bottle I have set up to play homeworld remastered worked for it first try. [Added the intel patch already] Dsound doesnt seem to be part of the issue.

There is a gfx fix in pol that cxoffice doesnt use. will have to poke around a bit on that this weekend.

Last edited:
so you are using wine?
Do you use ERB?
Do you know for sure the right version of directX is installed?
Do you know for sure your video card driver is actually working under wine (tested other games or something like that)?

erb? no idea what that is. wine only works with dx9 for now :( I got space engineers to work under this peticular bottle that potc is working right in right now. Will be poking around with Crossover wine and regular wine sat/sunday to see if it will work universally or if play on linux is the only one it works right in. using the intel hd 4000 right now it works amaisingly well for games. got about 6 projects going on so may be a bit... need to build my storage server this weekend to. but that should be simple :)

potc is a dx8 game. I might sugest installing ERB (it's an option you can select during install). it's and dx9 wrapper for potc so that might make it work.

Just did some quick checking, and the original PotC get Gold @ WineHQ.

And if I was trying to run it in Linux, I would install without the ENB series option to start with.

The only real known problem is that the cutscenes do not work, without Windows Media Player. If you are having problems with it loading, it may be that the intro movies are mucking it up.

You could try hitting ESC when it loads, to cancel the intro movies.

@The Modders - Can the intro movies be disabled ?

I will join you in the pursuit of running under Linux in a week or 2, as I am going to need to upgrade my linux. Been running the same version for more than 5 years now, not even updating last year or so. And that of course brings into question, Which Linux ? There are SO many good versions out now. But I am just learning the game in Windows, and the upgrade will have to wait a few days ....

Good luck to you though, I will help when/ if I can.

Back