• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice List of Development Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching these forums for a long time and this is the first time I needed an account. Not sure why I never made one before now. I am only recently involved in programming but am learning it rather quickly. As it stands I am working on C++, C, Java. C++ being my primary. The rest will be relatively easy to pick up should their need arise. I would like to help for several reasons. Firstly, I am a pirate first, family man second. By that I mean, I have a job, wife, and 2 kids. My time will be donated as it can be. My kids will be pirates just as I am. One already acts like me :D. I will contribute what time I can to coding if I am accepted.

In addition to coding, I would be willing to help with brainstorming and ideas as I have quite a few ideas, several of which I have not seen anywhere. I am not familiar with UDK but I'm sure I can learn.

I have experience Alpha and Beta Testing as well as being a game moderator for a game known as Dawn of Fantasy. If either of these skills are in need, I will help there as well.

If anyone has any need of me for the purposes of furthering this wonderful project: Firefoot87@live.com is my email.

Looks great so far! Really looking forward to this. Thanks.

Edit: For what it's worth, I'm off Friday-Sunday this week.

Ahoy and welcome! :ahoy

More programmers are absolutely essential to the project, so we'd be glad to have you on the team.
You'll probably need to send a message to Hammie for more information on the code work that has been done so far.

I can't guarantee that you'll have much work to do for now, as the project is still in its infancy.
In the meantime, Pieter Boelen is busy trying to single-handedly make some massive changes to our PotC: New Horizons mod, and I'm sure he'd appreciate a hand if you're willing to help.

I will help wherever it is needed as much as possible. Make no mistake though, I am no code Guru yet. I just know my way around a bit. Looking to build a portfolio of sorts for the future. Hoping that's ok with everyone.

In the meantime, Pieter Boelen is busy trying to single-handedly make some massive changes to our PotC: New Horizons mod, and I'm sure he'd appreciate a hand if you're willing to help.
LOL! And there's the truth of it! :rofl

I will help wherever it is needed as much as possible. Make no mistake though, I am no code Guru yet. I just know my way around a bit.
We're always happy to help you on your way. :doff

Looking to build a portfolio of sorts for the future. Hoping that's ok with everyone.
That's fair enough. As much as I would appreciate some help, I'm not sure if any PotC Modding would be good enough for a portfolio though.
But that's up to you to decide. Anyway, you might want to check with Hammie first.

LOL! And there's the truth of it! :rofl

We're always happy to help you on your way. :doff

That's fair enough. As much as I would appreciate some help, I'm not sure if any PotC Modding would be good enough for a portfolio though.
But that's up to you to decide. Anyway, you might want to check with Hammie first.

I'll doublecheck with him to see if he doesn't have some deckswabbing for me to do. If not, shoot me something I can help with in the POTC department any time. No matter how menial.

As for the portfolio thing, all I'm interested in is proving that I can code. I'm not an anomaly in this world. I don't have the next minecraft idea in my head. I just want to be able to prove that I can do what I say I can. (to a big company.)

I'll doublecheck with him to see if he doesn't have some deckswabbing for me to do. If not, shoot me something I can help with in the POTC department any time. No matter how menial.
Do you have the PotC game yet? To start out with, you should get the latest version of the modpack. Then you can see what we've done already.

If you want to do coding, I reckon PotC is a good place to do it. That's where I learnt. And then it turned out quite useful several years later at a real company. :cheeky

Do you have the PotC game yet? To start out with, you should get the latest version of the modpack. Then you can see what we've done already.

If you want to do coding, I reckon PotC is a good place to do it. That's where I learnt. And then it turned out quite useful several years later at a real company. :cheeky

Thats my plan!! I am hoping to have enough to show in a years time.
I think i still have it somewhere.

Heads up! If anyone on the team is still not listed in the first post of this thread, please let me know so I can adjust it accordingly.
Also, anyone who isn't part of the notification PM thread "Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas Team", please say so and we can arrange that as well.

Hi Armada,
You already know i'm currently only working on learning 3d so that's not yet the point however when the game comes closer to end I would like to do localization for the Dutch speaking countries. I think if we would get the menu's and stuff in their respective languages that it will be appreciated by the gamers. But that's all for later but I just thought maybe we should think about localization roles.

Localisation isn't going to be a priority for quite some time, but when we do get to a suitable stage to start translating certain content, we can discuss our options then.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, the reason why most of the team ribbons have disappeared is because of the recent forum upgrade. Nobody's been kicked out, or anything like that. :p
We'll try to get them back as they were shortly.

OK folks, I've finally restored the custom colour schemes of the group ribbons we're using to how they were before the forum upgrade (more or less).
Obviously they look slightly different with that compulsory white gradient, but I'm not sure how to change that.

Do they look OK? Can you read the text easily enough?

That's good. I was worried the white gradient would mess up the contrast, but I think I've got the text colour about right now.

Those bright yellow borders around the ribbons look sort-of odd though. o_O

Too bright, you think? It doesn't help that I can't remember which shade of yellow/orange they used to be. :facepalm
Perhaps with the forum being brighter, the yellow borders don't contrast with it as well as they did before?

Anyway, I've made a very subtle change to the ribbons' upper corners so that they're a darker yellow. Any better?

Indeed I seem to remember they used to be pretty bright before as well. I'd think a generally darker colour might look better though.
Dark red/brown for the yellow and red banners and dark blue for the blue and green ones. Or something.

The whole point of the original ones was to give them a uniform style that made them stand out from the other forum banners, and that was with yellow text and borders.
In some ways, I think we'd lose that if the borders were coloured depending on the backgrounds, because that's what all the others do.
You're welcome to experiment with the colours yourself via the Admin Panel; they're contained in Appearance > Templates > user_banners.css, all named appropriately towards the bottom.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this style? I don't really want to dwell on this for too long; more important things to do, y'know. :wp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back