• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Livestock as a trade good

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Title kinda says it all doesnt it?

A new type of tradable good...livestock

Thank you for your time.

You may return to your regular scheduled programming

Title kinda says it all doesnt it?

A new type of tradable good...livestock

Thank you for your time.

You may return to your regular scheduled programming

I can come up with the animal models for the hold(not that thy are totaly
nessesary).....now talk someone into coding it :onya

and with a good cook you can make food for you crew...and so the circle closes ;) ...and if :rumgone the crew can drink milk :eww ...

it would be great if you can make goods exported if a great amount of another good is in a town...
...example:
-a town with many lifestock can export food
-a town with less lifestock will import food

:wp but as i know the tradesystem in COAS isn't so dynamic :(

I think it's something that could be done. All the ship goods in the game have no models, they are just icons and code. Theoretically adding livestock would be a matter of creating an icon for it, lets say a cow, then adding the proper code in the stores and islands to make it a tradeable good.

I think it's something that could be done. All the ship goods in the game have no models, they are just icons and code. Theoretically adding livestock would be a matter of creating an icon for it, lets say a cow, then adding the proper code in the stores and islands to make it a tradeable good.

We could break it down as well. Cows, goats, sheep, fish, geese, moose, whatever...
The question is, would it be worth doing?

I don't think there were moose in the Caribbean :razz Although if you find evidence of some, pleast post it here and I'll be the first one to make a moose icon :cheeky
Creating various animals seems a bit complicated, using the general term of "Livestock" would be preferable.

If it's worth it, it's a matter of opinion really. The game already has lots of items that can be traded. I'm sure most people won't say no when a new mod comes out that will add something to the game.

I don't think there were moose in the Caribbean :razz Although if you find evidence of some, pleast post it here and I'll be the first one to make a moose icon :cheeky
Creating various animals seems a bit complicated, using the general term of "Livestock" would be preferable.

If it's worth it, it's a matter of opinion really. The game already has lots of items that can be traded. I'm sure most people won't say no when a new mod comes out that will add something to the game.

I agree...A simple general term would be much better. One could imagine the moose if they wish :)

Cow.jpg

WIP

Nice! I was trying to figure out if i could do and was looking through the code a bit for the first time....kinda scary. I wasnt sure if i where to add it etc.
I figured it would be one of the easier things to accomplish. the 'afraidwater = x' got me confused.
I think it might be for if it floats (ie can go overboard and scavanged.

Just compare the modded files with Vanilla, you'll spot the differences and the livestock code as well. You'll want to copy the livestock code onto your vanilla files while leaving the other modded stuff alone.

And if you or someone else wants to play with CMv3 once it's out (soon!) just use the CMv3 version of the mod.

Going back to the issue you brought up in the other thread,
Given that we have a new item to trade, if you could find evidence of other things we could make tradeable, feel free to post it on here.

Tea.jpg

Tea is good suggestion, I've already integrated it into the livestock mod and renamed it, trade goods mod.

Just compare the modded files with Vanilla, you'll spot the differences and the livestock code as well. You'll want to copy the livestock code onto your vanilla files while leaving the other modded stuff alone.

And if you or someone else wants to play with CMv3 once it's out (soon!) just use the CMv3 version of the mod.

Going back to the issue you brought up in the other thread,
Given that we have a new item to trade, if you could find evidence of other things we could make tradeable, feel free to post it on here.

Tea.jpg

Tea is good suggestion, I've already integrated it into the livestock mod and renamed it, trade goods mod.

Sounds like a plan. Im going to be examining this code, and will continue to look out for popular trade goods of the time period. Hopefully as time goes along, I will be able to contribute more than just ideas.

Here is a list of honorable mentions for various trade goods.

Furs
"France founded colonies in much of eastern North America, on a number of Caribbean islands, and in South America. Most colonies were developed to export products such as fish, sugar, and furs."
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_colonization_of_the_Americas )

The only problem I see is that the furs were exported to the Caribbean.
"In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, beaver hats were produced for sale domestically in the French and British markets, as well as for export. The French domestic market included military and naval contracts, as well as consumer products sold on the general market. The majority of their exports were shipped to French colonies in the Caribbean, Italy, Portugal, Spain, and Spanish South America."

That tells me 2 things. The amount of fur that would be available would be low. Furs would only be available in certain ports. Also, fur would be quite expensive as well.

Molasses
"A classic example would be the trade of sugar (often in its liquid form, molasses) from the Caribbean to Europe or New England, where it was distilled into rum, some of which was then used to purchase new slaves in West Africa."
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_trade )
((My wife also saw a documentary recently where molasses was used as a medium to transport glass to north america though i can't seem to find refrences on the net))

Copper
"In the 17th century Cuba began importing African slaves. The slaves replaced the rapidly disappearing indigenous people as laborers in copper mines and on sugar plantations."
( http://www.countriesquest.com/caribbean/cuba/history/spanish_rule/prosperity_and_plunder.htm )

Hemp
Of course we know that hemp was used to make rope. I would deduce that hemp was grown in all the major islands in the caribbean. (especially jamaica...lol) .... This brings me to a point i am afraid to mention.....

exporting goods to the 'motherlands'please dont hurt me :328_skull:
If you have been reading from the sources of information that i have been providing, you may have heard of something called "Triangular Trade"

"The best-known triangular trading system is the Transatlantic Triangular Trade, that operated during the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries, carrying slaves, cash crops, and manufactured goods between West Africa, Caribbean or American colonies and the European colonial powers, with the northern colonies of British North America, especially New England, sometimes taking over the role of Europe.[1]

The use of African slaves was fundamental to growing colonial cash crops, which were exported to Europe. European goods, in turn, were used to purchase African slaves, which were then brought on the sea lane west from Africa to the Americas, the so called middle passage. [2]
"

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_trade )

Now i know this sounds crazy, but imagine the profits. Raiding ships heading from the old countries, and the new world and selling them in the caribbean. If you wanted to be a trader, you could sail your ships to the edges of the world map, have a certain amount of days pass, and be able to sell and buy goods from either the new world (to the west) or the old countries (to the east)

Of course, this means that the amount of goods available for trade would increase dramatically.

and of course this also means i am completly out of my mind.....

Fur:
Sounds good, though this item was imported into the Caribbean from the Americas and not produced locally. It wouldn't fit in to the Caribbean with the system the game has set up.

Molasses:
We already have sugar as a tradeable item. Although they are two different things, sugar is still sugar :shrug

Copper:
This looks like it could be a made into a new item.

Hemp:
Another item that we could make tradeable.

The Triangle:

With some clever editing, perhaps it's possible to use the gold trade fleet code and create a new trade fleet. In this case it would be outgoing ships to the Old World. These ships would be full of sugar, coffee, cacao and other stuff.

Well I am happy to hear that at least some of these thoughts of mine are not completly insane. You folks take care of the clever coding, and I'll take of wearing the nice white coat with straps up the front that give me hugs...lol

(sorry for another double post, again another seperate idea)

I understand that salt is an item that can be found, but should it not be a tradeable commodity as it was used enmass for preserving and such?

Lime should be a thing you can find aswell, not sure about trade able but at least a good you can carry as it was used to stop scurvy.

Fur:
Sounds good, though this item was imported into the Caribbean from the Americas and not produced locally. It wouldn't fit in to the Caribbean with the system the game has set up.

Molasses:
We already have sugar as a tradeable item. Although they are two different things, sugar is still sugar :shrug

Copper:
This looks like it could be a made into a new item.

Hemp:
Another item that we could make tradeable.

The Triangle:

With some clever editing, perhaps it's possible to use the gold trade fleet code and create a new trade fleet. In this case it would be outgoing ships to the Old World. These ships would be full of sugar, coffee, cacao and other stuff.

I was thinking, what if the goods that were to be coming from the new world, only be available for export from the western colonies on the map, and then only available for import on the east side map. The same could done in reverse for goods coming from the old countries.

Back