• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Longer distance to battle on "Sail Ho"

This has been changed as per the Beta 3.5 WIP. Comments and feedback would be appreciated. :doff

I have been getting the engage in battle screen on the world map when there is no fleet close by and this is irritating. All that needs to be done is to set the engage distance in direct sail to be the same as the open sea mod. That gives one lots of time to decide what to do and engage in tactical maneuvering while closing.

Indeed I found the distance to also be a bit odd with this change included.

I'm confused by what you mean though. DirectSail and WorldMap are different, aren't they?
Or would it just be enough to change the DIRECTENCOUNTERDISTANCE value in PROGRAM\NK.c?

World Map and Direct Sail are indeed different. I would suggest leaving the World Map alone and using the Open Sea mod values in Direct Sail. That puts enemy ships over 2,000 yards away at the start so all participants have plenty of time to think about what to do next.

Provided that the player isn't using the world map, that is.
But I thought that is what the whole query was about?

When on the world map if you decide to engage in a battle, when you then go to direct sail in the standard game the ships are positioned very close to each other. In the open sea mod they are positioned so far away from each other that sometimes they can not even be seen. It then takes some maneuvering before any shots are fired.

Perhaps the newest update will fix this, but I've also been having odd things happen on the worldmap. Encounters are generated with fleets which are further away, and it doesn't always pick the nearest, which can be most annoying. Observe:
worldmap.jpg
When I try to engage, it's that pirate group behind me and not the Dutch group which I've been chasing. Worse, if I decline the engagement with the pirates, I no longer have the option to engage anything, e.g. that Dutch group. It's even more annoying if I'm chasing something hostile, there's something friendly in the area, and it's that friendly group which offers to encounter me.

The last update I had installed when that happened was the one from 4th March.

Perhaps the newest update will fix this, but I've also been having odd things happen on the worldmap. Encounters are generated with fleets which are further away, and it doesn't always pick the nearest, which can be most annoying. Observe:
View attachment 20484
When I try to engage, it's that pirate group behind me and not the Dutch group which I've been chasing. Worse, if I decline the engagement with the pirates, I no longer have the option to engage anything, e.g. that Dutch group. It's even more annoying if I'm chasing something hostile, there's something friendly in the area, and it's that friendly group which offers to encounter me.

The last update I had installed when that happened was the one from 4th March.

It's the most annoying of this re-coding! I've tried to change it but without success. The problem is that there is a code that makes the fleets disappear at a short distance .. Can that be made?

The only other error I have had, is that the game automatically switches from worldmap to sail mod without me doing anything.. This error was also before, but I think it's worse now. I don't know if it's just me?

World Map and Direct Sail are indeed different. I would suggest leaving the World Map alone and using the Open Sea mod values in Direct Sail. That puts enemy ships over 2,000 yards away at the start so all participants have plenty of time to think about what to do next.
The code would only affect the worldmap, not Direct Sail.. I had honestly not thought about it, because I dont use Direct Sail. Do you want distance changed on Direct Sail also? Because then I would like to try. However, this will definitely change the distance when you teleport to a ship too..

I have been getting the engage in battle screen on the world map when there is no fleet close by and this is irritating. All that needs to be done is to set the engage distance in direct sail to be the same as the open sea mod. That gives one lots of time to decide what to do and engage in tactical maneuvering while closing.

I also had this problem before I made the re-coding. But it's been MUCH worse after.. I've tried to figure out where the problem occurs, but I'm not sure. I'm looking high and low for it. But I'm pretty sure that it is not this code that makes the problem, it just "got it out into the light" :)

The code would only affect the worldmap, not Direct Sail.. I had honestly not thought about it, because I dont use Direct Sail. Do you want distance changed on Direct Sail also? Because then I would like to try. However, this will definitely change the distance when you teleport to a ship too..

I play the Open Sea mod and like it that way. Perhaps others would like the greater distances in direct sail in the standard game.

Probably if players want larger distances in DirectSail, they might as well enable the Open Sea Mod and be done with it. :cheeky

Back