• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Looking for more info on officers

cuban113

Landlubber
After not playing the build mod for years I decided to pick it up again and wow you guys have done an amazing job. I'm having a blast playing but I'm super rusty and feel like a total noob. I been searching the forums for hours now trying to figure out the officer system. What skill points each type contribute? for example i have a gunner 10 on cannons and 10 on aim. On the F2 screen in the passenger tab wen i click the captain it only shows 4 on both maybe I'm doing it wrong?. I was trying to find a guide of what skill points and what abilities i need to give each specific officer role is there something like that on the forum and I just cant find it?

Easiest is to open your PROGRAM\Characters\officers_init.c file with Notepad.
I'm writing from memory here, so I might have the exact filename a bit wrong.
But that is the one that defines the skill contributions for all available officer types.

The file is "PROGRAM\Characters\officertypes\init_officertypes.c". I'm not sure what everything means. For example, for gunner, referred to here as "Cannoneer":
Code:
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Leadership = 0;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Fencing = 0;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Fencing.importance = 4;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Sailing = 0;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Accuracy = 2;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Accuracy.importance = 10;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Cannons = 2;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Cannons.importance = 10;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Grappling = 0;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Repair = 0;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Defence = 0;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Commerce = 0;
   OfficerTypes.(type).skills.Sneak = 0;
If I remember correctly, 'OfficerTypes.(type).skills.***' dictates if the officer will contribute that skill. If it's 2 then he contributes it at full value, if it's 1 then he contributes half value, which is why a boatswain with Leadership 10 will only give you Leadership 5, and why you want to turn Fred Bob from boatswain to first mate as soon as you get him - if he's first mate then he contributes his full Leadership, which is enough to let you take prize ships.

But what is "importance"?

Also, a gunner ought to be contributing "Accuracy" and "Cannons" both at full value, so if you have a gunner with 10 in both then that ought to be your value for both when, in "Passengers", you click on your own icon to get a summary of all effective skills.

After reading all the code I think i finally understand so I'm going to give it a try and make a easy to follow guide please correct me if I'm wrong I don't want to mislead players. Also I'm not sure is displaying correctly form me in game ill post screens later.

Officer Guide

Officer Type
Boatswain
Skill Contribution 1=Half 2=Full
Leadership = 1
Grappling = 2
Recommended Perks
Long Range Grappling
Grappling Professional
Instant Boarding
High Stakes
Improve Smuggling
Muskets Shoot

Officer Type
Cannoneer
Accuracy = 2
Cannons = 2
Recommended Perks
Fast Reload
Immediate Reload
Hull Damage
Sails Damage
Crew Damage
Critical Shoot
Long Range Shoot
Cannon Professional

Officer Type
Quarter Master
Commerce = 2
Repair = 1
Recommended Perks
Disguiser
Basic Commerce
Advanced Commerce
Trustworthy
Basic Land Owner
Improve Smuggling
Advance Smuggling

Officer Type
Navigator
Sailing = 2
Luck = 1
Recommended Perks
Ship Speed
Ship Turn Rate
Storm Professional
Turn 180
Sandbank Maneuver
Sailing Professional

Officer Type
First Mate
Leadership = 2
Sailing = 1

Accuracy = 1
Recommended Perks
Iron Will
Shared Experience
Brander
Disguiser
Fas tReload
Long Range Grappling
Basic Commerce

Officer Type
Carpenter
Repair = 2
Defence = 1
Recommended Perks
Light Repair
Instant Repair
Basic Battle State
Advanced Battle State
Hull Damage
Ship Speed

Officer Type
Surgeon
Defence = 2
Luck = 2
Recommended Perks
Improve Potions
Defend Poison
Basic Battle State
Advanced Battle State
Ship Defence Professional
Crew Damage

Note that several of those perk names are not what you see on screen. Check in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\AbilityDescribe.txt". For example, "BasicBattleState" translates to "Basic Ship defence", which is what you'll see in the game.

But what is "importance"?
When an NPC levels up, he/she must assign the new skill points to something. What skill is chosen depends on the "importance".
This is why a random gunner still gets Fencing skill as well, which is not contributed but does have an importance set.

Also, a gunner ought to be contributing "Accuracy" and "Cannons" both at full value, so if you have a gunner with 10 in both then that ought to be your value for both when, in "Passengers", you click on your own icon to get a summary of all effective skills.
Definitely!

@cuban113: Could you show a screenshot of your situation? Some potentially relevant things to check:
- Skills shown for your Gunner in F2>Passengers
- Skills shown for yourself in F2>Passengers (or F2>Ship)
- That gunner IS on your own ship, right? Not assigned to another one?
- Try changing his (her?) job description to "Navigator", then change it back to "Gunner" again (this should enforce all skill numbers to be updated again)

After reading all the code I think i finally understand so I'm going to give it a try and make a easy to follow guide
Sounds about right! :onya

engine 04.24.2017 - 22.58.07.09.png
engine 04.24.2017 - 22.58.03.08.png
That is my gunner and my summary screen
open

That is my gunner and my summary screen
Very strange. Then either he is on a different ship OR the skill contributions failed to update.
Please try this:
Changing his job description to "Navigator", then change it back to "Gunner" again (this should enforce all skill numbers to be updated again)

What modpack version are you running according to your Main Menu/compile.log?

I had to do the navigator trick to all my officers now the skills points are displaying correctly! That is why I was so confused about what officer type contributed to what.

On a side note would it be difficult to put that info into the game on tip and tricks or a book about officers? I know is common knowledge for most player but I totally forgot do to being away from the game for so long and basically a new player all over again.

Build 14 beta 4 April 2, 2016
There used to be a bug at some point where the game didn't register passengers as being on the ship they were on.
I think I may have fixed that after the Beta 4.0 public release, so you may want to consider updating to the latest WIP version instead (see link in my signature).
Warning: You'll have to start a new game for that to work, but it does come recommended.
(We haven't had the time to make a proper public release for this yet, but it contains only stable new content and fixes.)

I had to do the navigator trick to all my officers now the skills points are displaying correctly! That is why I was so confused about what officer type contributed to what.
Fair enough! I'm glad you noticed; at least that means you're paying attention. :onya

On a side note would it be difficult to put that info into the game on tip and tricks or a book about officers? I know is common knowledge for most player but I totally forgot do to being away from the game for so long and basically a new player all over again.
The Beta 4.1 WIP version "explains" it ingame using colour coding on the various skills.
But it wouldn't hurt to have it on the wiki as well. I wonder if @Talisman or @Grey Roger might be willing to add that?

Back