• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Looking to Build a Game Development Team.

Daragoth

HoO Team Member
Provisional
I don't really know if this is the right place, but I have been through a series of ideas back and forth in my brain for about a year or so now. I know I could ask on ModDB, but since I know that most of the members on here are Game Developers, I thought it would be better suited to ask here. Plus, I know this is a idea friendly community and people are friendly in general as well.

So as the title implies, I am looking to put together a Game Development team. It's not for a game that is strictly about Seafaring, but it does have a good segments in it that has Seafaring in it. The game is fantasy based, meaning no historical events involved.

So, let me put this simply. The game is themed in the Legend of Zelda Universe/Realm. So please bare with me and don't shoot my idea down before you hear me out.

Yes, there is Link. Yes, there is Zelda. Yes there will be some character cameo's from previous game(s). But what makes it different is that fact that I have come up with the story line on my own. So it's not just a remake of another game, or a rip off of an existing game. It actually has some original ideas to it.

So why Legend of Zelda might ask? Why not my own game that is completely you own original game?

I chose Legend of Zelda because the lore and story is so diverse and not only that but there is room for so much expansion, and not just by Nintendo but by the fans too. Plus, with Legend of Zelda you can still do your own "thing" while staying true to its lore.
Your answer to the second question is because, what is an original game these days? Most games (but not all) are using existing ideas (from either history or some sort of fiction) and so there really is rarely an original game anymore. Sure you have your game that can be original once and a while, but those are far and few.

The game itself will be most likely built within Unity. From what I have heard, CryEngine is not stable and Unreal Engine 4 is unfinished. And with the customization that Unity brings to the table, I thought it would allow the most to be done with the least amount of Headache.

Moving on to the game itself. Again I would like you to just hear me out before groaning about the story. Sure, it might be a "fan fiction" game, but if you look at Legend of Zelda, it can be seen as a fan fiction with some "new" ideas.

The game will involved a bit of time travel, though not so much how Ocarina of Time did it. There will be three variations of Hyrule. Past, Present and Future.

The Present is the most important time era as you will traverse between the three in this era. The Past will be 50 years before the Present. And the Future will be about 100-200+ years after the Present. Each Time "Zone" will be the entirety of Hyrule for that Time period. This means that the game will be longer, but have more play-ability and more things to do. Though this will not be so much of the Open world that games such as Skyrim have (meaning you get distracted by side quests easily and sometimes even forget about the main story), but more like a Semi-Expansive Game that gives the feel that you still have a "Main Quest" or something that is more important to complete.

If people are interested, then I will explain more. Though if I (and I hope I don't honestly) get a negative response then I will keep my game ideas to myself.

I am hoping for people to keep this positive and possibly get a few people to start a team.

Thank you for your time.

How many people do you think you could gather up? Making a game from scratch is a hugely difficult project.
It needs serious dedication on the part of quite a fair few people. Challenging indeed! :shock

How many people do you think you could gather up? Making a game from scratch is a hugely difficult project.
It needs serious dedication on the part of quite a fair few people. Challenging indeed! :shock

The amount of people would depend on how many people are willing to participate. I currently have a Concept artist that I am working with right now off and on to get ideas into visual form.
Right now I need 3D modelers (for both organic & hard scape models) and a coder or two. The Modelers for making assets and the Coders for creating the 3rd Person Controls and such scripts in Unity. Once we can get a working demo, then I think more people would be necessary. One step at a time works better then taking giant leaps after all.

It will be a challenge, but isn't any video game made from scratch a challenge?

Also, I myself am a 3D Modeler. I am not the most talented, but I am diligent and very determined as a modeler. I mainly 3D model buildings (hard scape), as I am still learning more organic modeling.

You'd have to do some serious attracting of people interested to work on it.
We try that for Hearts of Oak as well, but it is a tough one. We need more people as well.

One thing that would help is to set up a very clear plan of how to accomplish your goals.

You'd have to do some serious attracting of people interested to work on it.
We try that for Hearts of Oak as well, but it is a tough one. We need more people as well.

One thing that would help is to set up a very clear plan of how to accomplish your goals.

First of all, how would you recommend attracting people? Get some models made? Create a short demo?

Second, what sort of plan would you recommend? As the story of the game is rather long, I don't want to require people read the whole thing. Would you instead recommend I create a series of bullet points? Or something else? I do have a starting point and an idea how things should go from there.

A plan on how to actually make the game. What do you need, in which order and what type of people do you need to accomplish it.

As for how to attract people, get something done and start using IndieDB, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Don't expect any quick results, but if you keep at it, eventually some people should take note.

A plan on how to actually make the game. What do you need, in which order and what type of people do you need to accomplish it.

As for how to attract people, get something done and start using IndieDB, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Don't expect any quick results, but if you keep at it, eventually some people should take note.

My concern with IndieDB is that people may shoot down my idea(s) because a lack of originality. I also am unsure if IndieDB allows games that are based off of existing (and popular) game series. I will give it a try and hope for the best.

Thanks for the advise!

I am still planning on trying to see if people here are interested and willing to help with this project.

Is there anyone up for helping out with this endeavor?

I wouldn't expect much work from anyone on our forums. Whoever we do have, is already involved with Hearts of Oak.
Difficult enough to make one game from scratch, let alone two side-by-side.

Pretty sure you can put it on the IndieDB; I've seen games there based on existing film series as well, so why not games?
As long as you make it completely free, because you don't have any rights to the intellectual property.
And you do need to actually show something for it to be accepted; "just an idea" will be rejected from the IndieDB.

I wouldn't expect much work from anyone on our forums. Whoever we do have, is already involved with Hearts of Oak.
Difficult enough to make one game from scratch, let alone two side-by-side.

Pretty sure you can put it on the IndieDB; I've seen games there based on existing film series as well, so why not games?
As long as you make it completely free, because you don't have any rights to the intellectual property.
And you do need to actually show something for it to be accepted; "just an idea" will be rejected from the IndieDB.

I was planning on making it free from the start. Would rather not have Nintendo breathing down my neck (so to speak). XD
And thanks for the heads up on the IndieDB tip. Good to know.

Back