• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Looking to start a new game, New Horizons or Build13?

GeorgeStorm

Powder Monkey
Hey,
As above, I've just reinstalled this amazing game, and I'm wanting to play it again, just the standard story and so I'm wondering which version I should go with?
Both presumably are better than stock as they solve bugs, add new content etc, but I'm not sure if New Horizons has anything over Build13 with regards to the standard storyline? (and I'm unsure as the last time I tried New Horizons it was very unstable ets)

I finished the standard storyline in 3.2.It all works fine to me.

New Horizons has a LOT of updated content and features. I'd recommend using Beta 3.1 or Beta 3.2 unless you find a good reason not to.

I have the odd crashes and bad saves but the new beta seems very stable by and large. The main thing is to NOT install it in your programs file. I made that mistake at first. There is a warning in the install agreement but a larger and more obvious warning at the download location might save a lot of grief.

The main differences between Build 13 and Build 14 as far as the main storyline is concerned are improved graphics, some new side quests, and numerous bugs such as the game gets stuck if you try to board certain ships. But if you're limiting yourself to just the standard storyline then you're missing out on a lot of fun - it's not called "New Horizons" for nothing! I've done the "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" and "Assassin" storylines and can recommend them both.

The bit about not installing into "Program Files" is certainly worth putting in large letters somewhere. In fact, having learned that trick here before I ever got Windows 7, I've been installing all my games into "C:\Games", and recommending other people do likewise on other game forums when they run into trouble that could be caused by Windows 7 being over-protective.

I have the odd crashes and bad saves but the new beta seems very stable by and large. The main thing is to NOT install it in your programs file. I made that mistake at first. There is a warning in the install agreement but a larger and more obvious warning at the download location might save a lot of grief.

Ah, I installed it in Program Files, only just started and finished doing the intro/tutorial section with Malcolm, would you recommend I reinstall?

The main differences between Build 13 and Build 14 as far as the main storyline is concerned are improved graphics, some new side quests, and numerous bugs such as the game gets stuck if you try to board certain ships. But if you're limiting yourself to just the standard storyline then you're missing out on a lot of fun - it's not called "New Horizons" for nothing! I've done the "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" and "Assassin" storylines and can recommend them both.

The bit about not installing into "Program Files" is certainly worth putting in large letters somewhere. In fact, having learned that trick here before I ever got Windows 7, I've been installing all my games into "C:\Games", and recommending other people do likewise on other game forums when they run into trouble that could be caused by Windows 7 being over-protective.

I'm only limiting myself to the main story to begin with, as I remember enjoying it and 'nostalgia' is making me want to p lay it again :p
Also last time I tried one of the other stories I didn't enjoy it, was one involving a puzzle where you had to push logs at the beginning on some deserted island, but it didn't work overly well from what I remember....

Also same question about Program Files :p

You do not need to reinstall. You can just move your POTC folder out of program files and you will be fine. You will need to create a new desktop icon, but that is all.

That's the "Woodes Rogers" storyline, which according to the walkthrough is more puzzle oriented than others. "Horatio Hornblower" is also different as you play a naval officer, so you go where you're sent and do what you're told - the punishment for disobeying orders is that the quest is liable to break and leave you unable to complete a mission. But if you've seen the "Hornblower" or "Sharpe" TV series, you're in for a treat. The "Assassin" storyline involves some tricky sneaking and running around and I found the walkthrough very useful, and it also involves a lot more freedom of action - in fact, there are a couple of times when you're specifically told that there are no missions for a while so you're free to go off and do your own thing. Then there's "Hoist The Colours", which ties better to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films than the original game does, though I can't say much for or against this one as I haven't tried it myself.

Putting the game somewhere other than "Program Files" is definitely a good idea. I'm not sure exactly what's liable to go wrong there; saving games, probably. If you do decide to reinstall, copy all the saved games to somewhere different first, copy them into place when you've finished reinstalling, then you may be able to resume where you left off rather than losing all progress so far. Then again, if you've only just done the tutorial then there is not really much progress to lose anyway. ;)

Indeed the Woodes Rogers storyline is something quite special.
It IS very well-done, but does have its quirks and is a thoroughly different experience from any of the other storylines.

^ What he said. It does take some getting used to the "new mechanics", but it works quite fine.
I had to refer to the walkthrough several times myself though; some of those puzzles require quite some thinking! :shock

Well, due to me seemingly breaking my W8 install trying to get Desperados and Robin Hood to work properly I 'refreshed' W8, which uninstalled all of my programs so this time I'll just put it in C://Games.

I wasn't trying to say it was bad, merely that it didn't really 'click' with me :)

Edit:
Is there a way to get the game to go fullscreen windowed/not die when I alt-tab? :)

Last edited:
Borderless. In fact, if you set screen_x and screen_y to your desktop resolution, it'll look like full screen, but you can still Alt+Tab and such.
That's what I always do and it works brilliantly. ;)

Back