• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Lookout view

craiggbrown

Corsair
Storm Modder
I was thinking that it would not be to hard to make a lookout view option in the game. Often captains climbed to the tops to get better views of a distant ship.

Something like this:

look out view 1.jpg

look out view 2.jpg

look out view 3.jpg

Right I always though it would be great to just climb up and have a look around. Hopefully this will come true in this game :urgh

This would be a nice feature to add, if we can get the map from the compas to be a switch in the mods folder then this view would be even more usefull because you would need to look for them as a pose to zooming out on the compas/map to see where they are. Nice idea Craiggo. :onya

Funny is the Raa Frigate for instance has some hidden options that you can move up the mast and have a look... problem is though it's not easy to climb down *laughs* the way seems bugged... have a look at the screenies I took up there.

I was pretty surprised that by random I was able to go up. It happened as I walked around the deck.

Also the view isn't that good the flag is in view and make it hard to get a usefull overview most of the time.
So a real lookout position would be great... maybe that is doable later.
:dance

That would definitely be helpful in ships like the Constitution that have very high bulwarks that are impossible to see over. But from a tactical standpoint, that would only have been of use when not in battle, as a captain would have to give orders on deck. Also, I was actually lucky enough to be standing on the Brig Pilgrim's royal yard when the schooner Californian fired a four gun broadside at us, and I decided that that would be a horrible place to stay during battle. You can feel the guns firing in the rigging, and you're constantly aware that something important under you might be hit.
It does offer a unique and scenic view though.

I actually spent a little time trying to figure out how to build those types of paths. Pgargon built a mast lookout path into the Dutch Pinnace/Frigatte Berlin as well. You have to go over the gunwale from the quarterdeck to the mainshroud and it will allow you to climb both to the crowsnest as well as to the very top of the mast. There is a trick to getting down, but once you practice, not so hard.

It would be nice if he could give a tutorial as to how that path is created so that we could put it on other ships as well. It is indeed a great feature!

MK

Yes MK. That is what I am talking about. I have been in the rigging of those two ships and i wish I could do it with all of them. Captains did climb into the tops to confirm a foe or get a good vantage point for tactics prior to actual gunshot, especially in a chase.
keith.gif

If we could use that walk path it is a good thing but drawback would be the camera limitations I mean you haven't got the freedom to look around as you like.

For that we need to adjust the camera so the player can look around without pan limits. Like I posted in #4. this view is only usefull without the mentioned limitations.

Besides that walk/path thing can be quite tricky I've found out since I was in battle with my Raa Frig and often as I aimed in 1st person view I moved around and accidently climped up maybe it's only me but its a drawback in battle.

You might get stuck a little and can't go back to your previous default position and lose quite some time uintil you manage to go back on deck, this time of course is used well by the enemy to provide some good salvos your way while you are stuck sight seeing *laughs*

It is not the walk file that dictates where you can go on deck in first person. It is the path. The path is a GM file. So a modeler needs to make them so they go into the tops. But you are right Joe. It is easy to get stuck on the top but I think it would be cool to have the option to and like MK said, you get used to it after a while.

Back