• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Make "Cooking With Albatross" readable

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
At present the book "Cooking With Albatross" is useless. Worse than useless, in fact - it gives you -1 "Sneak". The description hints that a dead albatross may improve your crew's boarding ability, though if this is true then I can't see where it's implemented. So the only use for the albatross is to be traded for leeches by the apothecary, and the book has no use at all - once you've figured this out, you won't want to touch it.

So I suggest making the book readable, perhaps with a fake recipe, signed by the apothecary and giving his location. Then at least there's a clue within the game about what to do with the albatross itself. (The apothecary's dialog says that he's rather fond of them, though he claims it's by way of studying them as a naturalist, but after he's done studying he still needs some way of disposing of them. Possibly with onions. :D)

The "may improve crew's boarding ability" thing is more a joke than anything else. But there is indeed zero truth to it.

My main reason for that book is that its -1 Luck modifier is visible. This opposed to the real Albatross easter egg which has it invisible.
So my intention for the book is specifically as a hint that maybe you want to get rid of those Albatrosses if you find them for whatever reason.
Your idea supports that intention very well indeed, so by all means, please do that! :onya

The apothecary's dialog says that he's rather fond of them, though he claims it's by way of studying them as a naturalist, but after he's done studying he still needs some way of disposing of them. Possibly with onions. :D
The whole "Albatross" business is all jokes and easter eggs anyway, so go right ahead and put that in there! :rofl

Put "cookbook.txt" into "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\BOOKS". Put "initItems.c" into "PROGRAM\ITEMS". If you're running the basic 28th July version of Beta 4.1 without any of the ZIP updates then instead put "initItems_based_on_28th_July.c" into "PROGRAM\ITEMS" and rename it to "initItems.c".

These will certainly take effect if you start a new game. Pressing F11 also seems to make "Cooking With Albatross" display the new text instead of the old image.

cooking1.jpg cooking2.jpg cooking3.jpg cooking4.jpg cooking5.jpg

Attachments

• initItems.c
    317.8 KB · Views: 132
  • initItems_based_on_28th_July.c
    313.6 KB · Views: 127
  • cookbook.txt
    2 KB · Views: 167
These will certainly take effect if you start a new game. Pressing F11 also seems to make "Cooking With Albatross" display the new text instead of the old image.
F11 should indeed correctly update all items.
What image was in use for the book before? I don't remember now....

This was the image for "book9", i.e. "Cooking With Albatross" - a couple of pages about luck in general with no references to albatrosses, whether alive, dead or about to be cooked.

I always was suspicious of the supposedly lucky rabbit's foot. The rabbit had four of them and wasn't particularly lucky, otherwise you wouldn't be wearing its foot. The book image indicates very specific requirements, all of which mean the rabbit in question must have been really unlucky. It was in the wrong place in the wrong time when you killed it, and now you own the foot which brought the rabbit its luck. Good luck. xD

Attachments

• book9.jpg
    book9.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Ah yes, that was one of those pictures I hijacked from GoF for lack of anything more appropriate.
Glad to have something better now! :cheers

Back