• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Making a NEw Sea Dogs mod, if someone could help a little...

FrankDietzSD

Landlubber
I have been playing Sea Dogs (off and on) since it was a NEW game (been awhile...) YEARS ago I wanted to make the cities bigger. Several programers/modders said stuff like 'you cant do it because...' I gave up. years later I had a BAD stroke, for awhile I could not walk, talk, read or write, BAD, because I could not do anything (and my computer was about 2,000 miles away) I, once again, was thinking about making the cities bigger, I kept thinking, "HOW could you making the cities bigger?!?" The stroke was a GOOD thing, for Sea Dogs mods, see, YES, you CAN make it larger. Just use certain files, know what you need to change and BAM!!! Right now MY Highrock is 300% larger, I could make it 3,000% larger or more if I wanted to, but if someone does that then you also need to make the new NPC charecters, NO, TOO MUCH, for now... Okay, with this mod (correct, not done) the French is gone, The English has been moved and America is here now. (Thank you Orzel, the flag!) Okay, I have a few things that I have not changed yet and I hope someone will help. The forts use the American flags. Ships use the American Flags, problem, on the map it STILL says English? How? Also, the American soldiers look like french soldiers and they are here in Highrock, Tendales, Dead Island and Itkal. Also, the English islands on the map, that still uses the French flags, and the French is gone, funny but I need to fix it. I have NEVER been able to fix the .cff files. That just does not work for me...can someone help? If the soldiers look like English soldiers but get rid of the red and make it dark blue? One other thing, I have never been able to figure out how, but it would be NICE if I could change the year. Start it so when someone starts the year will be about 1800 - 1830 about maybe? It could be done using .dll files but I cannot change the .dll files, do not know what to do. (WISH I DID KNOW HOW TO CHANGE THE .dll FILES) One other thing, If you where using my (NOT FINISHED) mod you would find out that when you go to the Highrock townhall, the shields (up on the wall there, if you have played this game you understand) the shields look like the French shields. .I gather that could be fixed, the French shields could be more,... American? Please, help? One other thing, I was told there was a European version for the Sea Dogs game? I was told there is some things that are a little different. I am not sure, but if that is true, anyone know where I could get that somewhere here on the internet? How much? IF it is a little different, MORE MODDING! Is it possable? See, it was ... maybe ... a week ago over there on http://www.highnotez.com/forums/index.php?action=login and it STILL claims, "Your account is still awaiting admin approval." I KNOW, Greg Highnote ("Hosehead The Bloody") owns that website and I know he truly (real life I mean of course) is a lawyer, maybe he has not helped so I can get on that forum because he is on a BIG court case? Don't know yet, but GEE, IT WOULD BE REAL NIFTY, if I could get back on that forum, I sure hope someone could maybe help and acctually talk to Mr. Highnote? Please? I would love to get on that forum...

Welcome aboard Mate,

We are glad to have you here, and I personnally greatly admire your ability to get through something as rough and life changing as a stroke, and still have a desire to mod and play great games.

The older games are great! I still have an old Commadore 64 and occassionally play ancient 1980s games like Ultima III on 5 and a half inch floppy disks. Seadogs is an excellent game and we here all respect it for being the Grand Daddy of everything we are working on here. You may find some old hands here interested in helping you. However, for the moment I think you are a lone wolf and everyone else here are working on mods for COAS and POTC.

As much as I don't like sending folks away from PA, I will just ask if you've seen the Ellaybe Island site: http://www.forum.thelib.com/index.php?board=8.0 This is where the majority of the old Sea Dogs hands still work their magic, and this is where you can find really good existing Seadogs mods. Just thought I'd ask.

We are still interested in anything you produce and want to hear about your progress. After all, we all be digital Pyrates here Mate!

MK

Ahoy Nine-Toes, welcome aboard mate! :dance

Aye Sea Dogs, now that was a true masterpiece! I did install it a while back just for nostalgia's sake, but I haven't played it for a couple of years myself. I have yet to find anything in POTC or CoAS that gives me the same satisfaction as chasing down and boarding the Spanish Treasure Fleet in Sea Dogs! The gold fleets in CoAS come close, but it's just not the same. It's a real shame that we will never know just what Sea Dogs II could have been. Anyway, I won't get into all that again. I do know that there were some differences with the Russian version of the game, but I am not sure about the European version mate, I think it was pretty similar to what was released in the US. :shrug

If you haven't checked it out, I do agree completely with MK, Ellaybe Island is your best bet for Sea Dogs modding help. Last time I checked, there were still quite a few of the original modders hanging around. Without there help, PA may never have even gotten established in the modding community, let alone taken off the way we have. There are still a handful of people lurking around PA that might be able to help, but your best bet would definitely be Ellaybe Island.

Okay, I got lucky, if you ever need to change the .tga files to .bmp,
http://www.converthub.com/
it works! Now for some reason the .tga file did not work on Sea Dogs, untill you use TF_CONVERTER .exe (over on Ellaybe website) There you take the new .tga file, convert it to .tf then convert it back to .tga it works. With my flags now, only 2 problems. Look down on your game, left bottom, it will show a small box on all ships around there. If it said, for example, a pirate ship on the small box, the flag is a pirate flag (duh) problem is, on my mod game it screws up the flag on the English (now American, USA here "owns" Highrock) it SHOULD say the Betsy Ross Flag, but no, it is still English. With my mod, the (former) English forts use the American flag, the ships use American flags, the map uses the American flag, but the little box with a small flag, it still says English flags when it is NOT an English ship. Also, on the map the flags move, you know what I mean, like there is wind there, cool... except, USA flags do not move, (No wind there ?) I think I understand though, it will take awhile however, I will figure it out. Can anyone help though? Surly there is a program somewhere on the internet that will make it move? Also, I can do about 1% of the .cff files. Read the post, part of that talks about .cff files, I can change one type of .cff file, that will not help so I can make a soldier. I need to make a new .cff file that looks like the English soldier’s but blue instead of red! http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18200-sea-dogs-how-do-you-make-the-cities-larger-my-13-year-old-daughter-can-do-it-here-is-how/
That is ALL I can do to change the .cff files. Can someone help? Also, if I can change the year on this MOD that is great! With the USA version on Sea Dogs the year is 1601, European version Sea Dogs the year is 1625, I need to change this to maybe about 1800-1830 roughly? How?

Back