• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Making Town Capture Boarding Locators

Officers showing up okay for me, they occasionally disappear during town attacks, but it's always been like that.

I'm using Beta 3 latest update ( 16 Sept ) - Master & Commander Story - Also Using Console to give me Fleet & Officers.

I don't have any officers during ship boardings - would the use of the console affect this - i.e. the officers it gives you ( Mr Gibbs - Davy Jones etc) being special in some way? :shrug

I have not seen any Officers when Capturing Towns either.

Also in one ship boarding - One of my crew was stuck ( see image ) - any changes to that decks boarding locators recently - or changes to the number of crew spawned during the boarding as that can cause this problem. have not seen this problem for ages - thought it had been fixed away back in this thread --- >>> http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/mutiny-fix-for-b14-beta-1-patch-6.17654/

Or do the mutinies & boardings use different deck models & locators? :shrug

EDIT : It looks like it is this problem :

From attached Compile

SETTING MUSIC: music_sea_battle
Sea_FirstInit done
SETTING MUSIC: music_abordage
PauseAllSounds
Equip Character Guibert with bladeC30+2 his nation: 3 blade nation=
ItemLogic: On load location BOARDING_ShipDeck4
ItemLogic: found 0 buttons
BOARDING: EquipFromLocker got:
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> can't teleportation character to <rld::loc5> <<<----------
Equip Character Manuell with bladeC30+2 his nation: 3 blade nation=
Equip Character Arie with blade40+1 his nation: 3 blade nation=
Equip Character Bonaventure with blade38+2 his nation: 3 blade nation=
SETTING MUSIC: music_bitva
SETTING MUSIC: music_bitva

See this post in the Mutinies Thread: ----->>> http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/mutiny-fix-for-b14-beta-1-patch-6.17654/#post-396173

:drunk

PotC_Beta03_Boarding.JPG

Attachments

• error.log
    170 bytes · Views: 227
  • compile.log
    65 KB · Views: 236
  • system.log
    16.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I don't have any officers during ship boardings - would the use of the console affect this - i.e. the officers it gives you ( Mr Gibbs - Davy Jones etc) being special in some way? :shrug
I suspect so. Will try with one of Hylie's savegames; see if they DO work there.

Edit: Yep, officers on Hylie's savegame. In forts too. But NOT in towns yet.
I'll give that a shot as well.... :confused:

Also in one ship boarding - One of my crew was stuck ( see image ) - any changes to that decks boarding locators recently - or changes to the number of crew spawned during the boarding as that can cause this problem.
The only vaguely related change I recently made should affect towns only:
Code:
  int startlocnum = LAi_numloginedcharacters;
   if(IsTown) startlocnum = 1;     // PB: So that BuildingSet characters are ignored - add GetOfficersQuantity(mchr) when we add officers to the attacks
   int locnum = startlocnum;     // "loc"+locnum to get boarding location
   for(i = startlocnum; i < mlimit; i++)

Last edited:
I suspect so. Will try with one of Hylie's savegames; see if they DO work there.

Edit: Yep, officers on Hylie's savegame. In forts too. But NOT in towns yet.
I'll give that a shot as well.... :confused:

Just a thought -- could it be the difficulty level ( Apprentice - Journeyman - Swashbuckler etc ) that affects if Officers appear in Capturing Colonies -

Easiest Difficulty ( what I play on ) - no officers in Colony Capture

Higher difficulty ( which I think Hylie plays on :unsure ) - Officers appear.

:shrug

If difficulty WERE involved, I'd expect it to be the other way around. Anyway, I just tested Hylie's savegame on Apprentice and still had officers.
I do believe the console-type just don't show up.

Still, they DON'T show in port and I don't know why. The code placing them IS being executed. But they don't show.
Oh well, generally the town soldiers are weaker than the fort ones anyway, so that's no big issue.
I'm not going to put any more effort into checking that one. Enough already. :facepalm

Cartagena display errors fixed in the latest update: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/
Also the "sleeping at the Bonaire pirate tavern" thing.

NORMAL officers work fine during boardings and fort assaults; they are only missing in towns.
Since town guards aren't as strong as fort soldiers anyway, this shouldn't be a massive problem.
I've got no clue why they don't show though; the code placing them IS being called, but they're just not there.

LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> can't teleportation character to <rld::loc5> <<<----------
I've seen that line during my town assaults too. I reckon various of the boarding locator files just need more locators added.
Especially for various towns. Three on each side just isn't enough.

Cartagena and San Juan port two of the three soldiers just stand at the gate, waiting to be slaughtered.
They do fight back, but don't run towards the player. Perhaps those boarding locators should be moved too?

The limit for forts and towns is 8 boarding characters in total. However, that doesn't necessarily mean 4-vs-4.
When I tested, I had the advantage and the game asked for 5-vs-3. That's why I figure 6 locators on both sides should be enough.
That allows for 6-vs-2, 2-vs-6 and anything inbetween. But you wouldn't have 12 characters at the same time; only 8.

Just a thought about the number of locators - if the player has 3 officers with them - Colony Capture mod generates 4 crew - then 3 + 4 +player = 8.

So if the mod is always matching the numbers on each side you need 8 loc and 8 aloc locators - to allow for the player to have the maximum number of officers with them.

Question - Has the mod ever generated more than 4 crew ?

Now I am going to go and play Colony Capture without using the console - and see if I can get officers, and see how many crew attack with me. :duel:

By The Way - the crewman in the water in image in Post 252 above is there because there are not enough locators ( loc 1-3 only) xD just need to add another one.

:cheers

Just a thought about the number of locators - if the player has 3 officers with them - Colony Capture mod generates 4 crew - then 3 + 4 +player = 8.
Well, right now you don't GET those officers in town. And in the forts you don't get less crew for all the officers you do get.
I already know exactly where to put a line for if we DO figure out how to make them show up. But for now, that's nothing to worry about.

So if the mod is always matching the numbers on each side you need 8 loc and 8 aloc locators - to allow for the player to have the maximum number of officers with them.
7 at most, if it is a REALLY one-sided battle. But I don't think you'll ever get to that.
Still, can't hurt to have the full 8 present. But I figure 6 should be enough.

Question - Has the mod ever generated more than 4 crew ?
I've been seeing 5-vs-3 quite frequently in testing. But that was 5 INCLUDING the player, so 4 crew.
Never seen more than that though. Perhaps after famine has struck the same town garrison several times or you keep looting the same town?
But it doesn't seem very likely. That's why I figure you'll have a hard time getting further than 6-vs-2.

By The Way - the crewman in the water in image in Post 252 above is there because there are not enough locators ( loc 1-3 only) xD just need to add another one.
Figures! Is that the same case on that ship though? I thought ships had plenty boarding locators. o_O

Some town locations sure do too. I seem to remember seeing a few with more than 10. But a lot with only 3. Uhmpf... :oops:

I have a question about using the console to create locators

In the console the code that generates the locator values is & is quoted in the 1st post of the thread.

Code:
   //   trace("rld,loc," +xx+",0,"+xz+",0,1,0,"+zx+",0,"+zz+","+x+","+y+","+z+",1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,");
   //   trace("rld,aloc,"+xx+",0,"+xz+",0,1,0,"+zx+",0,"+zz+","+x+","+y+","+z+",1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,");

which I assume gives the values in that order for copying into Inez Diaz's TOOL - i.e. "XX" +"XY"+"XZ"+"YX"+"YY"+YZ"+"ZX"+"ZY"+"ZZ"+"position x"+"position y"+"position z"+"s0"+"s1"

However the order of the columns in Inez Diaz's TOOL is different ( see images ) --- "position x"+"position y"+"position z"+ "XX" +"XY"+"XZ"+"YX"+"YY"+YZ"+"ZX"+"ZY"+"ZZ"+"s0"+"s1"

I think this might have caused people in the past to post the wrong values into the wrong columns - it could account for some of the strangely shaped locators we have:wp

So the question is if I change the code in the console so that it is in the same order as the columns in Inez Diaz's TOOL - will it still work OK. ? :shrug

PotC I_Diaz TOOL loc1.JPG PotC I_Diaz TOOL loc2.JPG

:cheers

In Inez Diaz TOOL there's an option to export and import locators into a text file. Yo export an exiting locators onto a text file, open it in a text editor, do a copy-paste of those generated in compile.log file, save changes, exit text editor, import modified locators into a TOOL and finally save a gm file.

^ What Pirate_KK says works perfectly fine. That's what I've been doing too. Nice and easy. :cheeky

I did notice when I did a few myself that the first "loc" line seemed to have things in a different order, causing weird effects.
But the "aloc" one worked fine. So I changed that with the latest updates so they're both the same.

In Inez Diaz TOOL there's an option to export and import locators into a text file. Yo export an exiting locators onto a text file, open it in a text editor, do a copy-paste of those generated in compile.log file, save changes, exit text editor, import modified locators into a TOOL and finally save a gm file.

^ What Pirate_KK says works perfectly fine. That's what I've been doing too. Nice and easy. :cheeky

I did notice when I did a few myself that the first "loc" line seemed to have things in a different order, causing weird effects.
But the "aloc" one worked fine. So I changed that with the latest updates so they're both the same.

:doff

Thanks that helps a lot. :onya

So does the daily income from your towns make sense now with the latest fix?

And am I correct in saying there are no major gameplay issues with this mod anymore?

Honestly Pieter, once we finish all the storylines, this mod will be ready for a final release.

Gentlemen,

I'm afraid I don't really understand what the "capture colonies" mod really is; I remember this ability from the stock game, where after you destroyed enough cannons on a fort you had the option to invade the town. If you survived both the seaborne bombardment of the fort, and the fight through the fort itself, you had "sacked" the town and could do what you wanted with it. Am I thinking of the same thing?

Some of the conversations on this forum are particularly difficult for me to follow, since this group is quite tight knit and most of you guys have been working on a few features for several months; it makes it a bit confusing for those of us who pop in when the interest in this silly game returns (like me), and haven't been involved in the development process from the beginning.

The only storylines that are really unfinished are also the ones that nobody is working on.

There are the occasional issues that we might want to address at some point. But we're getting there. :yes

Gentlemen,

I'm afraid I don't really understand what the "capture colonies" mod really is; I remember this ability from the stock game, where after you destroyed enough cannons on a fort you had the option to invade the town. If you survived both the seaborne bombardment of the fort, and the fight through the fort itself, you had "sacked" the town and could do what you wanted with it. Am I thinking of the same thing?

:yes

In the stock game -once you had destroyed the Fort (then fought through it - not sure if this was in stock game ) you got a screen saying how much plunder you had and got your ships repaired I think that was it ( not sure).

In the mod ( which we have only just managed to get working properly ) - you destroy the Fort - then Fight through the Fort ( up to 3 sections ) - then you fight through the Port - then fight through the Town ( no. of sections depends on the town ) - in the end you talk to the governor - and can either Ransom the town - take over the town for another nation or yourself ( appoint your own Governor & Fort Commander from your Officers ).

We have had problems getting Defending soldiers and crew members to appear & fight. And getting the dialog with the Governor and the interfaces that let you allocate your own Governor & Fort Commander to work.

But now due mainly to Pieter's hard work most of the bugs have been removed and problems solved :bow

Back