• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Making use of different grass types

There have been a lot of things influencing performance lately.
I'm not entirely convinced the grass ever had anything to do with it.
Seems a bit unlikely to me.... :confused:

@ANSEL Try this and run POTC to see what your loads are. Task manager shows me that it is hardly using any memory, the one CPU core that POTC uses is nearly saturated with just one small ship sailing along, and MSI Afterburner shows the video card is just loafing along at just above idle speeds. This is with Reshade running.
POTC CAB DX9 10-3-15.jpg

Whit that junglesprites file, it looks like Hemp all over the place:shock

Attachments

• seadogs2_0000.jpg
    seadogs2_0000.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 193
This is Algae or Sea grass, a little interesting I think.

Attachments

• seadogs2_0033.jpg
    seadogs2_0033.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 195
  • seadogs2_0019.jpg
    seadogs2_0019.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 200
I turn on Task Manager and Afterburner then to take a screenie I turn on Paint shop Pro. That sets it up. Then I play POTC for a few minutes of sailing in 1Xtime. Quit and take a screenie of the desktop. Maybe Paint can take a desktop screenie too but I can not even find it.

Bonsai trees! If they were about three times that size they could be used in certain places as intermediate foliage.

MSI Afterburner is a free utility that shows how hard your video card is working. In this screenie of Bioshock Infinite with a 280X it shows that the video card is pegged. It is running 100% and is what is bottlenecking the system. So I bought a 290X..........and it is STILL pegged. :rumgone
Bioshock Infinite loads 280x.jpg Bioshock Infinite loads-1 290X.jpg

Anyway, looking at your charts it seems that your ram and cpu are fine with lots of room for more loads. So it looks like you will be wanting a new video card as that is your bottleneck.

I like these Algea grass, I will use it for a while, its god for my eyes.
@Hylie Pistof . About the graphic card, I bought it January this year,
its to early to buy a new one I think ( my wife will agree with that:wp)

Attachments

• seadogs2_0042.jpg
    seadogs2_0042.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 190
  • seadogs2_0005.jpg
    seadogs2_0005.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 187
  • seadogs2_0026.jpg
    seadogs2_0026.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I like a lot of what I see here of different grass types. Variation is always good.
But we can't add a new line for each location.
Must be done in some more general way like all shores get.. and the jungles get..
Like using the existing (sound) "type" or something?

Must be done in some more general way like all shores get.. and the jungles get..
I think it should be possible to use the location type, yes. :yes

Or better yet: Can somebody upload ALL those grass types?
I'd like to add them all to the "grass" folder and then we can see what to use where.

Thank you!
Genie.jpg

^ Portrait of @pedrwyth ;)
I'm adding all of them for the coming update; then you guys can pick and choose. :cheeky

I like a lot of what I see here of different grass types. Variation is always good.
But if we want to create some diversity between jungles also it's harder. For example we could store which grass to use for different location types in the islands... So the jungle on one island is slightly different from the other one.

But if we want to create some diversity between jungles also it's harder. For example we could store which grass to use for different location types in the islands... So the jungle on one island is slightly different from the other one.
As I figure it: If NO special grass is defined for a location, then use the default for that location type.
But if a special grass IS defined, then use that instead.
So then we can have a "general jungle grass" but set custom grass on specific islands.

Alternatively, have an island.grasstexture defined in islands_init specifically for jungles.
I think jungles are the only locations where we would really want a difference for the same location type.

Back