• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Massive FPS loss with the latest patch

@ANSEL It depends what you mean by experiments. The Levis captain generation system IS experimental, and is the source of most of the bugs discovered. Naturally so, since that is a very complicated system, and Levis's great work is fixing them as they are discovered.

If by experiments you mean my files, they have caused 0 bugs so far. Seriously, my changes were quite limited, unambitious, and heavily playtested. ;) They await balancing feedback of course, but no bugs and not the source of any issues plaguing the game. Besides, they will already be out of the fixes only.

The only thing my experiments have done bug-wise is bring to awareness the issue that the weapon nationality check wasn't working, but my experiments didn't cause that bug, just revealed it-- that code has probably not been working for a very long time.

Anyway, as I said above, my experiments get suspected alot, but are quite innocent. Sadly, I need to return to work and won't be around to defend their honor for awhile. Bye everyone. :)

All I is asking for is peace to finish the job, so we could have a Public release soon.
Then we can move to Build 15, it will be so nice.

If you mean that we shouldn't attempt a second change of similar magnitude to unifying captain generation again until after the public release, then I agree. I think the main idea is to fix the bugs in that, and great progress has been made thanks to Levis's generous efforts.

For my part, I've specifically avoided doing anything with the potential to break game mechanics or introduce bugs, which is why my experiments have been so limited in terms of mechanics. In the wind thread, you can see I explored ideas of creating randomly timed wind changes, smaller more frequent changes, etc, but in the end I delayed every single one of them until Beta 15, and only changed things that I could confirm were limited and safe and thoroughly playtested in order to keep my experiments bug-free. So only the safe stuff has been done, the complicated or risky stuff will wait until Beta 15.

At any rate, I'm only sorry I won't be able to help further with playtesting or general bug hunting for awhile after tonight, as I can't afford to take any more hours from work while the project is going on for the next several weeks. Goodnight everyone, :)

Last edited:
I've been advocating fixing and finishing for at least a year or so.
And in fact, when I've been doing modding, I've been doing exclusively that.

The Captain Generation is indeed a very important thing to be able to make progress in the future and I'd very much want to be able to use that.
It would unlock a tremendous lot of potential to do several other things we've been dreaming of.

Since it is an all encompassing still experimental change though, maybe it should be in its own separate ZIP.
Then fix and finish the other new stuff first, then focus exclusively on the Captains.
That way, at least we could tell if anything breaks because of that or it is because of something else.

Right now, it seems we're left guessing on what is the reason for things. :(

@ANSEL and @Pieter Boelen if you look at my todo list in the potc modding forum you'll see my priority now is mostly getting everything stable again.
We've fixed quite some nasty bugs and the captain generation is working now.
We do need to look at the enemy level assignment probably because there seems to be some problems there now (mostly regarding boarders). but besides that it's mostly fixing up stuff now and getting it ready for release.

@Joer good to hear the problem was solved :). going to mark this one as fixed now.

The fix included in Levis' Stuff [Sept 27] may deal with this. It certainly improved the framerate for me - I don't have a way to measure exact framerate, but before that fix, framerate at sea was visibly slow and choppy.

Back