• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Merchant passport should not negate the influence of commerce skill on prices

I didn't follow this discussion enough, do we want to do anymore more?

I believe we still want to enable some ships for merchants only right? Maybe @Tingyun could do that too? It will probably be a matter of copying the code which is in use for the military ships. You should look in the shipyard interface for it.

@Levis

We decided the merchant ship restrictions is on Pieter's list, because it is more complicated than copying the naval code, as we are only restricting a couple of very specific ships. Pieter decided to add a new attribute that could be added to any ship to define it as restricted to merchants.

As for the other part, it is on my list, and Yesterday night I took a look at implementing the merchant passport bypasses false flag dialogue check (characterutilite). The problem was, I got a bit confused--I wasn't sure whether to bypass the entire set of checks, or to include something resetting to friendly later on in them. Also @Grey Roger original idea suggested maybe influencing the check rather than just bypassing it, which seemed right (seems a shame to bypass entirely such an interesting system), but I wasn't sure how strongly to influence it or in what way.

I decided to wait until I could gather more in game experience using false flags to trade, and then come back to this afterwards (probably in a couple of weeks). However, if someone who already has that experience wants to do it, it is indeed easy to find--just go to characcterutilite and ctrl f merchant and you'll find it right away. But I don't want to mess with the balance of a system I haven't yet thoroughly understood through play, so if I am to do it it will have to wait a bit (haven't been able to actually play more than 2 hours in the past week, all my playtime seems to go to modding now ;) )

btw @Pieter Boelen and @Grey Roger just reading some comments here made me thinking ... what if you talk with a merchant while having a merchant licence but you are flying a false flag ... probably your merchant licence says which nation you are etc, so if they spot you flying a false flag should that invalidate your merchant licence?

We decided the merchant ship restrictions is on Pieter's list, because it is more complicated than copying the naval code, as we are only restricting a couple of very specific ships. Pieter decided to add a new attribute that could be added to any ship to define it as restricted to merchants.
I could probably get that working relatively quickly.
At the moment I'm held back by the usual "the job doesn't take a lot of time, but FINDING that time DOES take a lot of time" thing. :facepalm

As for the other part, it is on my list, and Yesterday night I took a look at implementing the merchant passport bypasses false flag dialogue check (characterutilite). The problem was, I got a bit confused--I wasn't sure whether to bypass the entire set of checks, or to include something resetting to friendly later on in them. Also @Grey Roger original idea suggested maybe influencing the check rather than just bypassing it, which seemed right (seems a shame to bypass entirely such an interesting system), but I wasn't sure how strongly to influence it or in what way.
Indeed that bit probably only requires a few lines of code.
But knowing what lines of code to use and where to put them does require some serious thinking through.

btw @Pieter Boelen and @Grey Roger just reading some comments here made me thinking ... what if you talk with a merchant while having a merchant licence but you are flying a false flag ... probably your merchant licence says which nation you are etc, so if they spot you flying a false flag should that invalidate your merchant licence?
Valid idea.

If the merchant licence is supposed to allow you to trade in hostile ports then the merchant shouldn't care about the false flag, or at least, shouldn't use it as an excuse to remove the licence. You obviously had to get the goods to him somehow, and if you arrived in port under a friendly flag then you're showing intent to trade peacefully rather than participate in the war.

But if you're arrested by a soldier for being a hostile spy, that could perhaps cause it to be removed. He thinks you're an enemy agent using the licence as cover. Or, if you have a merchant licence plus a LoM hostile to this nation then the licence might be invalidated if the storekeeper recognises your false flag, because you're not just a harmless trader. (Combining a merchant licence with a LoM is a high reward strategy so it may as well have some associated risk. ;))

This is beginning to sound VERY much like the Build 15 idea to make hostile ports more dangerous. How about we postpone that until we start working on that for real?
All sorts of "infiltration" and "stuff in hostile towns" could be a great lot of fun. But maybe best left until later. ;)

I agree we should discuss about it more but I agree with @Grey Roger , having a LOM and Merchant licence could be very profitable so there should be some risk to it too ;).

The above all makes sense, I'll postpone any implementation of license/false flag mechanics until then. :)

Back