• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Might be a bit premature...

I'll see about finding a ship that would suit, but for now absolutely work on ui or concept art. UI is quite important, more so than a single ship at the moment. For the long term though, how much modeling experience do you have? Helps to determine the size and type of ship I'd recommend.

UI is quite important, more so than a single ship at the moment.
This is absolutely true. The UI is the one thing that players see ALL THE TIME. Ships come and go and are seen for periods, but the UI never changes. Just having it planned and drawn would be wonderful. Mostly it will come down to what we are ready for in the game for the UI, and what features will be implemented enough to actually interact with it.

I know I have been silent for the last few weeks...but don't count me out just yet. Capt. Murphy what do you have so far on the UI? Any sketches at all?

If CM isn't ready with the GUI, we've been needing merchant ships modeled. I could find plans for you.

I can use UI elements almost any time, but I don't have a design for them. I can code it but someone else gets the fun of design. Whatever it is has to be done in a format that I can easily turn into a vector graphic to import into a Flash movie. Right now sometime as simple as a UI for what the wind/weather/time is would be great. We could implement that into the current game development ASAP.

Right now we could really use a HUD to replace the default CryEngine one. Even if we use static elements until we can get the code going for the customizable version. Hopefully take away that detracting element of having the futuristic HUD and the automatic rifle. We are close to having a working flintlock pistol, and until it is done I can simple record using no weapons on the player. It would lend a lot more credibility to have an interacting UI HUD instead of having the default CE version.

Really I just need someone to make an executive decision, draw up a basic HUD (put what info where) and get me some elements to use for it and I can do the rest to get it working and show something in game.

I guess you summed it up...someone needs to make an executive decision. I have read the threads on the UI. I can do some things like draw a sample Capts Cabin where one can select different objects to bring up those UIs. But I am no UI layout person. I don't play enough games to be familiar with them. I am not a font expert...and things like putting parchment as a bkg texture is a very subjective call.

I still have a pretty busy week in front of me but I will see if I can just get myself in the mood by doing some crude sketches...not sure of what. I do not have any good samples of Captain's cabins etc...but will see what search engines will dig up.

By the way...is it ok to use blender if I want to dabble in some 3d work? I have an older 3ds max program...2010 or 11 I am not sure. But I would have to relearn the interface as I have not done any 3d work for the last two or three years.

I would rather use Blender as it is free and I can use something current. I still would have to learn it's interface.

Well we would be best off using the detailed interiors of the ships themselves for that interface, if at all possible. The Panthere is a good example of a ship that will be usable right away and has a mostly completed cabin. http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/panthère-1744.18907/page-7. Someone familiar with cryengine: Is blender compatible with the required formats for importing into the game? So long as the answer to that question is yes, I see no problem with you using blender.
here are some merchant type vessels you can start on if no one can come up with more important work for you
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collec...el-351614;browseBy=vessel;vesselFacetLetter=S
http://www.sjohistoriska.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_2206/cf_1088/25.JPG
http://www.sjohistoriska.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_2207/cf_1089/26.JPG(preferably not the sloops, as we have many under construction)

Blender is fine for importing assets. CryBlend is the plugin you will use in it to get the models put into the right format. I am not a modeler and was able to figure out most of the import workflow enough to get models in game for testing purposes.

Using the ship interior as part of the UI should be doable. The entities would be able to be interactible in the cabin with their own UI.

Thanks for the links. are there any sailplans, masts spars etc for these ships? Or are those fairly standard and the hulls and interiors are what you want modeled?

Great to hear Captain Murphy! No sailplans that I know of (in most cases there aren't any) but someone around here should be able to create an adequate one using formulas or conjecture when the time comes

Last edited:
Don't start a ship without posting in the coordination forum. I've already assigned one exactly like the ones in these plates to somebody else:
http://www.sjohistoriska.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_2206/cf_1088/25.JPG
http://www.sjohistoriska.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_2207/cf_1089/26.JPG

We have sloops under construction, but they are all of a certain type. We still don't have any merchant sloops or packet sloops from prior to 1770 or so.

I would prefer you started on this one:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collec...el-351614;browseBy=vessel;vesselFacetLetter=S

Do I have to purchase the plans? The nice thing about the link to the 26.jpg is that it is ready to be broken down into templates. The other links show images that are too small to use.

The Supply works fine with me in terms of being needed for the game. Higher resolution plans are availble through the NMM by purchase. I should think that given the relatively low level of complexity on the decorations of the supply, the preview resolution should be workable without requiring a set of higher resolution plans, though the higher resolution plans would of course be easier to work from. And PC, ehich one did you assign and to whom? please post ships you assign in the Coordination forum (perhaps in a new list akin to the needed and in progress in your first post in the 7YW ships thread?) so that the rest of us coordinators and team members aren't kept in the dark about whatever you assign via pm or in threads we may have overlooked. I'll do the same with anything I assign. If it is significantly different from one of the other ships in plates 25 or 26(such as a sloop as opposed to a snow) I'd recommend going with the opposite from one of those plates, so that michaelws doesn't have to buy plans

Last edited:
I will work with the one PC linked me to. Are all 4 of those plans for the same ship? And is there a name or something that would give me something to google in the way of texturing? Or do we just wing it? Or do you have separate folks for texturing?

I will also do some sketching in 2d for the heck of it...to start. See where it takes me.

And PC, please post ships you assign in the Coordination forum (perhaps in a new list akin to the needed and in progress in your first post in the 7YW ships thread?) so that the rest of us coordinators and team members aren't kept in the dark about whatever you assign via pm or in threads we may have overlooked. I'll do the same with anything I assign

I have been. I assigned the ship three hours ago and I am awaiting a confirmation before it is added to the thread.

I will work with the one PC linked me to. Are all 4 of those plans for the same ship? And is there a name or something that would give me something to google in the way of texturing? Or do we just wing it? Or do you have separate folks for texturing?

I will also do some sketching in 2d for the heck of it...to start. See where it takes me.
Are you talking about the Supply? (on the national maritime museum website) Sounds good to me. PC and I both linked the same plans so i think that is the one you are talking about. If you don't know UV mapping in Blender yet you will have to learn it. we are currently assembling a set of standardized textures to work with. There is a texture pack by Wedori on the FTP that is forming much of thee base for this and should be used for now (unless you can make textures of your own, in which case there are a few gaps that need filling for the creation of the complete standardized set)

Back