• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Misspelled-bugs

SaltySeas7

Powder Monkey
My previous misspelled-bug was tagged as fixed so I created a fresh one for regular misspelled-bugs.

Build 4.1

My next misspelled bug: RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\AbilityDescribe.txt, Line 105: "Your party has better poison resistance due to better medicine avaible."

avaible :no available :yes

I don't like being a grammar nazi, because I make grammar mistakes every day, but I do this only to make the game prettier, because we stare at the game quite often, it makes a difference! I recommend that modders use a spell checking tool before release, it can help find those pesky words.

Just paste the text file into this: Reverso English spellchecker

Last edited:
Build 4.1

RESOURCE\INI\TEXTX\ENGLISH\AbilityDescribe.txt, Line 358: "Gain a governor's trust to enable this Ability. | The crop yield is 50% higher on the character's estates"

"Ability" -> "ability"

Build 4.1

RESOURCE\INI\TEXTX\ENGLISH\globals.txt, Line 11: "QUEST_MESSAGE11 {wicked heart we give a secret reward!}"

"wicked" -> "Wicked"

Build 4.1

RESOURCE\INI\TEXTX\ENGLISH\globals.txt, Line 58: "OFFIC_TYPE_BOATSWAIN {boatswain}"

There is an accidential tab character between BOATSWAIN and {boatswain}, probably not a big deal but may have technical implications when it is being parsed, who knows!

Cheers! :cheers

I fixed some spelling errors myself yesterday as well.
Just looks unprofessional, doesn't it?

I've done a bit of error-checking myself in the past. But sometimes I leave grammar as it is, even if it's not strictly correct English grammar. If the original author is not a native English speaker and neither is the character whose dialog is shown by the text in question then the odd grammar is entirely appropriate for that character - he doesn't speak perfect English either!

The other type of error to watch for is inconsistencies with the game world. I changed a couple of dialog texts in "Hornblower" because they made no sense with the current archipelago layout, e.g. you used to be given a course to sail from Jamaica to Nevis which would currently send you to Grenada or Bonaire instead.

But sometimes I leave grammar as it is, even if it's not strictly correct English grammar. If the original author is not a native English speaker and neither is the character whose dialog is shown by the text in question then the odd grammar is entirely appropriate for that character - he doesn't speak perfect English either!
LOL! :rofl
I've got to admit I would prefer those errors to be checked too.
If a character's dialog is written to indicate being of a different nationality, I reckon that is better done deliberately than through accidental spelling errors.

Cheers! :cheers

I fixed some spelling errors myself yesterday as well.
Just looks unprofessional, doesn't it?

I understand that the focus has been on adding content and people just forgot about grammar. It's not a disaster it was probably the right way to go, there is little time for grammar. Some people who do this unprofessionally have way more experience and dedication than the original designers, you're all professionals (for sure, relatively speaking to the original designers)

I think, 6 or 7 years back you wouldn't be professionally into this, but today this is way beyond professional, it's a master degree (with too few hands to do the details)

Because when I look at the results it's a very good mod and that must mean that the focus has been on the right parts. People complain about details because the bigger things make sense.

I've studied complaints xD

Last edited:
I understand that the focus has been on adding content and people just forgot about grammar.
Not so much that; more that some modders aren't very good at English.
And with nobody else to correct it (other than me and I don't have time to proof-read everything), the errors remain.
Which is why I'm quite glad when people drop by who care about it so that they can rectify it.

too few hands to do the details
Very much so!

Probably all text related to the Apothecary quest could do with some serious proofreading.
The person who wrote that wasn't particularly good at spelling....

Anyway here it is: Goes to: Program/dialog/ English/ Claire Larrouse_dialog.

Attachments

• Claire Larrouse_dialog.h
    5.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back