• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll MK's GOF Eras mod and Skeletons

Do Skeletons stay or should Skeletons be replaced by pirate crew models?

• I like the skeletons and think they should stay despite the fact that this is a historical mod.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I hate the skeletons and would like to see them totally out of the game.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don't really care either way as they are not an important part of the GOF experience.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I never play the Des Moines, Flying Dutchman or Church quests.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I sometimes play the Des Moines, Flying Dutchman and Church quests.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I like the quests with skeletons and play them often

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
So skeletons are really a fairly integral part of COAS. They play a major part in a couple of different quests. The Des Moines/Brig Queen quest. Flying Dutchman quest/attacks on towns, and of course the local Priest quests.

The German Edition substituted them for pirate crew models. They still magically spawn when you go through the glowing ball in the caves/dungeons.

So my question is: Do you want me to keep the skeletons in GOF Eras, or do you want to see them substituted with pirate crew models?

NOTE: Please don't vote if you have no plans to play the mod. I'm only interested in hearing from folks that plan on playing COAS with Eras installed.

So here's the poll.

I'm not certain what the deal is with skeletons in CoAS, but in the PotC Build Mod we removed skeletons from all random encounters and limited them to supernatural storylines only.
That seemed to have been a pretty fair way to deal with them. They're not gone, but not easily encountered either. :doff

Since there is magic already in COAS it would be dumb to eliminate the skeletons but not the other things. Anf I encounter skeletons regularly in POTC. (Abbey Monks)

Perhaps MK you could make a mini mod for this once all 3 modules of the era are finished and released, that way the base version is how you want it (for argument sake we will say the base mod is with skeletons) the mini mod could replace them with pirates or what ever you wanted to replace them with.

Well you never have to encounter a skeleton in COAS either if you don't want to. :wp

- You don't have to take the Des Moines/Elizabeth Shephard/Brig Queen quest

- You don't have to take the Flying Dutchman quest

- You don't have to take the Church quests

- And you don't have to go into the dungeons and activate the glowing summoning ball

- The Austin/COAS quest still allows you to go into the dungeon and fight thugs without activating the skeletons

However I CAN see how players would still like to go into those locations and fight pirates instead. I even thought about remaking the pirate crew textures for specific models to look kind of undead or cursed so they would still be kind of otherworldy for the Flying Dutchman quest. But they wouldn't be skeletons.

I actually do like the way Jan did it in the German Edition. If any of you want to see what it would be like fighting humans instead in the dungeons I recommend you DL the German Edition. It's actually QUITE good! It still is quite playable for English speakers as well because most of the dialogue was not changed to German and remains English anyway. The voiceovers are not English any longer and many of the individual words for things in the interface have been changed to German, but its quite playable for English speaking players. I really like what they did with it.

I will wait to see how the voting goes for a couple more days. However I am kind of leaning towards Luke's notion of making a Skeleton substitution mod. I can actually make this mod so that it will work with ALL GOF versions because its simple model/texture substitutions. This way if players using 2.0 or whatever want to get rid of the Skeletons, they can.

Maybe I should make all the substitutions into the corsair3 model with the eye patch and peg leg since I took him out of the game. I could make a bunch of different versions of him with magenta and purple clothes. :razz

MK

For us, the question of who really holds the reality on in vaults?
Smugglers, pirates and scum. There is only one interface for the vault.
All other quests that have to do with skeletons, are not affected.

Jan,

How did you do that? So if I understand you correctly the caves/dungeons "vaults" as you say have no skeletons, but pirates crewmen. However, the Des Moines and Flying Dutchman quests still have skeletons?

I had assumed they used the same skeleton models for both with the exception of the skeleton captain model.

Voting seems tied right now.

MK

Des Moines Flying Dutchman and are controlled by their quests.

Find the
Age of Pirates 2 \ Program \ characters \ QuestsUtilite.c

Go on line: 1832
The following code generates skeletons in the caves.
sld = GetCharacter(NPC_GenerateCharacter("Skelet"+_location.index+"_"+i, "Skel"+(rand(3)+1), "skeleton", "man", iRank, PIRATE, 0, true)); //aktivieren der Skelette

Code:
sld = GetCharacter(NPC_GenerateCharacter("Skelet"+_location.index+"_"+i, "sold_spa_"+(rand(7)+1), "man", "man", iRank, PIRATE, 0, true)); //aktivieren der Spanier
or
sld = GetCharacter(NPC_GenerateCharacter("Skelet"+_location.index+"_"+i, "Pirate_"+(rand(9)+1), "man", "man", iRank, PIRATE, 0, true)); //aktivieren der Piraten

OK so the polling looks as though more folks want them left in or don't care.

Thanks for the example Jan.

I have decided to make a mod that will get rid of skeletons with pirate crew model substitutions. I will release this mod separately after GOF eras module two is released in another week or two.

Thanks for the input Mates!

MK

Please do not forget, if you have more pirate models, here the number change MK .

Pirate_"+(rand(9)+1)

Pirate_"+(rand(number)+1)

Back