• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Mod Installer Not Working with Avast Antivirus

Yep, it works. xD Loopholes.:rolleyes: I'd also been giving an alternative upload method afterwards, but i saw it too late. We'll see how this goes.

What does that mean? EXE files without a "trusted source" or something? Indeed I don't know how to make them "trusted".
Probably need all sorts of complicated license stuff, so that probably won't happen.

Indeed, this usually requires sending money to Microsoft, and/or several other different companies, so they can certify you as legit. That usually also requires you to also be a corporation yourself, or at least being willing to wade through all the paperwork and application fees. In the end, those trusted sources aren't exactly as trustworthy as those certificates make them out to be. There have been a lot of reports lately across several different platforms of attacks that make use of fake trusted certificates, stolen real certificates, and certificates used incorrectly that allow all types of malware attacks to succeed. Even if we wanted to be certified, in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the paper it is written on. :thumbsdown2

I've checked my setup at home but I see nothing in File System Shield settings that looks relevant. I have some actions changed from "Fix automatically" to "Ask" and some deletions prohibited, but that's pretty much all. All scans are enabled and heuristics level is high. It's Web and Mail Shields where I was disabling functionality in bunches.
And no, I'm not asked anything when running the mod installer. It just runs without problems.

For reference, attached is my installer script; version 8 Dec 2015.

Attachments

• b14_beta4_installer.zip
    37.3 KB · Views: 128
This has been an issue with Unity/Unreal game installs with Avast as well. Short of having a code signing certificate to 'verify' the install the only option is to exempt your folders from file system scanning and execution scanning. At my work we ended up paying the $75/yr extortion for the code signing certificate to save us the aggravation of people calling about blocked installs of our application.

Huh... I never had this problem with Avast blocking unsigned installers. About the only game is was interfering with on my PC was Crown of Glory: EE and that's after successful installation. Do they offer different levels of "protection" in different countries? :8q

What do we do with that?
there are links to report false positives ... maybe we can report it so they whitelist it.
I believe if you use a online virus scanner or something like that to generate a report it works sometimes.

Back