• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod: QuickSaveLoad 1.1

kb31

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
I have just modified(just several lines of code) quick save/load mechanism(but not autosave) to make a new file instead of default QuickSave. The idea was to solve two problems: your save can become corrupted(since engine first removes it then tries to save current state), game extremely needs to have many step-saves due to it's instability and time bounds.

How to install:
1. This mod requires tehomod(but doesn't require other scripts), so install it first.
2. Unpack quicksaveload1.2.zip into the game folder(with ENGINE.exe)

While it works perfectly for me, I strongly recommend you to backup SAVE folder before using this mod.
If you find a bug possibly related with this mod, let me know.

Attachments

• quicksaveload.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 604
  • quicksaveload1.1.zip
    13.4 KB · Views: 590
  • quicksaveload1.2.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,606
Last edited:
Thanks @kb31. This is one of two steps necessary to make quicksave safe. The other step is to make sure quicksave is disabled when in a dialog or anywhere else that might break a quest. For example, normal save is disabled during the rum smuggling quest in the tutorial and using quicksave to get around this apparently breaks the quest: you can't go back to your boat. You can do a normal save if you moor at Lamentin Bay, however.

I never used quicksave, as the developers have said it was evil. Even with this fix, it will probably still be evil. :) I save a lot, but always use a new save, never overwriting an old one, then delete unneeded saves when I leave an island, keeping only the save I made when I first arrived and the one I just made before leaving.

Hook

Quick save uses exactly same save method as usual save, the only difference is(was, with this mod) it overwrites file

Having played it for a day in a manner I do it - meaning paranoidal savescuming, I came to a conclusion that this does what it described perfectly. But. Such making F5 to create separate save with generated name leads to enormous save files bloat. Which, in my experience can lead to more crashes, Storm being Storm.
So my proposition is to make quicksave cyclically overwrite 3-5-user defined number of slots.

3-5 is too few for TEHO ;)
The only reason (I guess) it can cause crashes(btw I haven't got at least one) - engine retrieves a huge array of saves' names. I think it's quite enough to separate saves into date-named folders, however this will require rewriting of save-load interface handler, which is much more than just few strings. Maybe I'll do it later

If you're making a new save file for every quick save, you'll quickly hit the 40 file limit. At least I think it's 40, I counted once when I ran out of save slots. And I think that applies to TEHO... I've played two other similar games recently and I can't be certain it was TEHO that had the limit.

I haven't looked at this mod, so I don't know exactly what you're doing.

Having over 600 saves at the moment in main profile. No crashes

Just for the record, I tend to F6 a lot, and it crashes extremely rarely( in the range of 1-2 times ! overall ), on my current playtrough with over 5k manual and quicksave, I didn't had a single corrupted save.
Nice work again kb31, Take it ez ! :monkeydance

PS : I avoid to save while any scripted event is processing.

version 1.1:
fixed rare bug which prevented saving in unnamed locations(didn't noticed before that they exist)

from latest update (1/12/2017):
they made changes to interface.c -> now there is(should be) 3 quick save slots (FINALLY)
However, it still seems insufficient to me

new version 1.3: codebase update (some Hook's fixes)

Last edited:
Found this in tehomod.log:
"QuickSave mod" requires ver. 1.5. It will be disabled!

So this mod is no longer supported in 1.7?

Found this in tehomod.log:
"QuickSave mod" requires ver. 1.5. It will be disabled!

So this mod is no longer supported in 1.7?

Correct :) After I made this mod, developers decided to implement a lite version of it inside the game: if I recall correct now there is three shifting quicksaves instead of one.
This is much more appropriate than the original situation with quicksaves so I decided not to update the mod onwards.

Back