• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tutorial MODDING TIP - How to Clean Up Your Personal Inventory - Quest items that have no more use in game

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

Another little known tip.

Most old CoAS Sea Dogs know you can add items to your personal inventory use the console.c script and F4 when you need to test out a weapon or item.

But did you know that you can remove just as easily without breaking your game, to clean up your inventory?

This is useful because in the original coding of the game, some items were never "consumed" during game play, therefore remain in your inventory forever.

These items CANNOT be placed in chests or traded to NPCs due to their specific coding as special quest items, nor do I recommend changing this specific coding because it can mess up your game or future games.

However, just removing them from your own inventory does no harm.

A good example are the simple, regular, and complex keys from CoAS that you can get duplicates in game (3 - simple, 1 - regular, 2 - complex), and once you leave the city have no use ever again.

By setting the console.c script to a quantity in the negative, you can adjust or even eliminate them from your inventory.

Here is an example of removing extra keys from my inventory for the console.c script:

void ExecuteConsole()
{
ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
if (!bSeaActive) ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(pchar.location)];
ref ch;
int i;
int limit;

Log_SetStringToLog("Executed Console");

TakenItems(Pchar, "key1", -2)
TakenItems(Pchar, "key3", -1)

}

Save the file, load your game, and press F4