• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Modify Pricemod Calculation for Officers

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
@Levis

Was able to run a quick test for you on the pricemod: it is working, but not really in the best way.

It is only changing the amount added for new levels gained while in that role. It does not affect previous levels gained in the prior role.

In other words, if you hire someone who is a master at arms, and make them a first mate, they will be MUCH cheaper than someone hired as a first mate at the same level, but will not really have any salary increase themselves for the promotion.

So a level 15 first mate that spent the first 14 levels as a master at arms, will be priced almost exactly the same as a master at arms (it will only have 1/15th of the difference in price applied).

I suggest that: On changing officer role, total salary be recalculated using the price modifier for that officer type.

I believe this was done on purpose because the idea was a character wouldn't want its salary to go down. The salary increases because of skill increase for that role. If afterwards you change his role then it will stick with its previous salary, nobody wants it salary to go down. If the character levels a significant skill again the salary will increase.
This was done after some discussion in the past and I remember everyone agreeing on this system, so I'm kind of hesitant to change it again. If the salary was just calculated based on the position and the skills you could just change the role of officers close to the payday to be the cheapest role and after the payday set them back to the previous role and there are probably more exploids to think off.

Hi Levis,

That exploit actually wouldn't work as far as I can tell--Officers accumulate a daily amount owed to them, which is then distributed on payday. You can watch it go up if you talk to them "about you", the option for having them resign will go up in gold daily by the amount owed to them. Unless I am misunderstanding something, they get their salary every day, put into an account owed to them, and then on payday it gets distributed.

The monthly salary amount doesn't actually get used at all--instead, officers (and crew) get paid more on months with 30 or 31 days, less on months with 29 and 28 days. I ran a lot of tests on this recently. ;)

I'm of course ok keeping the current system, but I do think the "pay by current rank" would be more sensible. If someone does get promoted, they deserve a raise. And it would be nice if rather than firing your old officers and losing your friends, you could put on in a reduced salary man-at-arms role and keep them around. It makes sense they would be willing to accept less salary if their duties are decreased and they have less responsibilites to take care of--that happens quite frequently I think. Preferable to having to fire them at least!

Anyway, just my personal thoughts. :)

I thought the "salary should not be able to go down" was going to be sorted differently?
For example, by setting a minimum salary to the current salary on pay day.
Then you can still recalculate it, but if it drops below the previously set minimum, it'll maintain that minimum instead.

Would that work?

I thought the "salary should not be able to go down" was going to be sorted differently?
For example, by setting a minimum salary to the current salary on pay day.
Then you can still recalculate it, but if it drops below the previously set minimum, it'll maintain that minimum instead.

Would that work?
at the moment the calculation for base salaray is only done once when the character is initialized. After that when the salary changes it only looks at the relative change between the previous state and the new state and adds this difference to your salary.
What I could do is have a new recalculation if you change the officer role because it does sound sort of realistic. What it could mean is that if you have an officer he might demands less salary as a boatswain as he should actually do (because of some bonuses or something like that) but if you change him to something else and change him back he might demands more. Which in my eyes sounds logical. He will always ask the full price then instead of one which has evolved overtime. I don't know from the top of my head if any of these bonusses are applied now but it would be nice if you got a little discount if an officer stayed on a specific role for a longer time. This would also boost the idea of having a better bond with your officers (which I try to realize).

I think that makes sense: so an officer's salary is the minimum of the highest their salary has ever been on a payday, and their salary as recalculated upon role change according to the new role's price. So you can't hire a first mate or surgeon and demote him to a man at arms and expect to pay less--he would go looking for a different employer.

Not sure if we want a discount for long serving officers, didn't we reject that idea last time we discussed it? I had argued it would be realistic due to bargaining power, and Pieter said it might be realistic but would be unfair.

Also, I think the pricemod numbers should be made more dramatic. In particular, surgeons should be substantially pricier than other officers, same for officers used as captains. Here are some relative salary comparisons from the napoleonic wars royal navy http://www.napoleonguide.com/navy_rnpay.htm

I think that makes sense: so an officer's salary is the minimum of the highest their salary has ever been on a payday, and their salary as recalculated upon role change according to the new role's price. So you can't hire a first mate or surgeon and demote him to a man at arms and expect to pay less--he would go looking for a different employer.
Once "loyalty" is more thoroughly in place, perhaps such "demotions" could give a one-time hit to loyalty?

Yes, but everyone should be happy about a promotion to first mate. And noone should be made about getting demoted from captain (since it will happen all the time with prize ships).

Indeed that particular idea should be considered more long-term.
Need to get loyalty to actually mean something in the game first. ;)

Indeed that particular idea should be considered more long-term.
Need to get loyalty to actually mean something in the game first. ;)
well if I'm going to look into this already I could very well add the loyalty commands already as they aren't that hard.

I imagine it isn't technically hard.
But without a loyalty system already in place that is balanced and doesn't drive people nuts, it is difficult to oversee the consequences of such a change.

The current state isn't technically wrong, making this a Feature Request for the Brainstorming forum.

I don't mind at all if someone decides to improve on it though. But it isn't a requirement for the Beta 4.1 release.

Back