• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Corrected No-Save Monks

Nightmare

Freebooter
Hello mateys! i am having trouble with these monks lately in POTC New Horizons 3.3 at first i was told to give a cross to a Monk what gave me powers and i got no powers at all also when i try giving the monk the cross he gives me another cross and tells me to go and give that cross to another Monk and it repeats again and again am i doing something wrong or is this hole Monk thing a joke? please help me with this Monk quest. :(

Last edited:
If I recall, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. They should give a skill-enhancing item.

All you can do is try to give that item back to the monk they tell you to give it to. Then kill them.

but is there a way to all ways make the monks work there has to be someone who can fix this?
Nay, its unfinished alright and no one has the time to the work or no person at all to do it at the time being. :facepalm
But try Sire Hylie's suggestion. That'd work. Its what I do all the time I engage with them monks. :guns:

I have not talked to the monk and recieved the item in a very long time, but when I did it worked for me. When I went to the place mentioned and gave the item back I was able to exit again.

Every once in a while someone gets stuck like you are. Do you have a save from before you met the monk?

I have not talked to the monk and recieved the item in a very long time, but when I did it worked for me. When I went to the place mentioned and gave the item back I was able to exit again.

Every once in a while someone gets stuck like you are. Do you have a save from before you met the monk?
Yes i do but wait a min is there any point doing this Monk staff?

but is there a way to all ways make the monks work there has to be someone who can fix this?
Probably there is. One of a gazillion other things that ideally should be done one day.
But who is going to do it? Sometimes I feel I need days that last 48 hours, but even then I couldn't do everything I want.
Probably need days at last 100 hours per day. Somehow!?!? :eek:

Probably there is. One of a gazillion other things that ideally should be done one day.
But who is going to do it? Sometimes I feel I need days that last 48 hours, but even then I couldn't do everything I want.
Probably need days at last 100 hours per day. Somehow!?!? :eek:

could move to Antarctica or Alaska the days last a long time i forget what its called though

Only a short info, in the latest recommend version i got the working version on the first contact, 1st day. Now i look for the one to return it.

So my suggestion is to make a toggle in internal settings to enable/disable the monks and by default disable them cause I dont think anyone is ever going to fix them.
Idea's ?

Would it be that hard to actually get them working? It's not such a complex mod....

What exactly is the problem in any case? I never quite got it.

as far as I understood in some cases there is no monk to return the things too. I could look into the code tough, but probally not before 3.3 final release

I can see one potential problem! These guys are generated in a fancy way through PROGRAM\Characters\init\monks.c .
Have a look at this:
Code:
    CreateMonk( "Bartolomeo",  "el Portugues", TranslateString("",MONK_QUEBRADAS), "QC_town_exit");
     CreateMonk( "Roche",    "Brasiliano",  TranslateString("",MONK_DOUWESEN),  "Douwesen_Jungle_02");
[...]
   }
}

void CreateMonk(   string Firstname,
           string Lastname,
           string Town,
           string Location)
{
   int i;
   ref monk;
   string Fullname = Firstname + " " + Lastname;
   i = GetCharacterIndex(Fullname);
   //Trace("start create monk " + Fullname);
   if( i == -1 )
   {
[...]
     monk.id          = Fullname;
Note how these two guys are called BARTOLOMEO O PORTUGUES and ROCHE BRASILIANO!!!
Bartolomeo is a different spelling than Bartolomeu, so that technically should not be a problem even if it also doesn't actually make sense.
But Roche exists in the Assassin and Bartolomeu storylines, so that means the Bonaire monk would be missing in those stories.
I am not sure if that is actually the cause of the problem, but it can't be helping matters. :facepalm

I'd propose the simple fix of renaming these two guys in PROGRAM\Characters\monks.c:
Code:
    CreateMonk( "Brother",  "Nantucket",  TranslateString("",MONK_QUEBRADAS), "QC_town_exit");
     CreateMonk( "Brother",    "Tuck",  TranslateString("",MONK_DOUWESEN),  "Douwesen_Jungle_02");
That should improve matters.

Last edited:
Also in PROGRAM\Reinit.c to prevent "missed character IDs":
Code:
  ch = CharacterFromID("Brother Nantucket");
   ch.location.locator  = "goto1";
   ch = CharacterFromID("Brother Tuck");
   ch.location.locator  = "goto1";

Last edited:
Back