• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

More bridges

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Several of the VCO towns have twin buildings linked by bridges. Santiago and Havana each have one, and I'm half inclined to put a locator by the door of at least one of them and use one of the rooms with a staircase which can lead to a corridor (the bridge interior) and then to the other side of the building. But the most interesting bridged building is the one in Santo Domingo:
santo_domingo_bridge.jpg
The bridge sides are open. Here's how it looks if you're standing on the bridge:
santo_domingo_bridge_gmview2.jpg
But that shot is from GM Viewer. There's no walkway up there, so when I put a locator on the bridge and used console to teleport to it, I promptly dropped straight down to the street. Anyone fancy trying to put a walkway on that bridge? (I've no idea how to do it, and if it involves TOOL then it probably won't happen because, at least on my PC, TOOL refuses to read "SD Town.gm".)

If you dropped to the ground it's because there is a walk path under the spot you chosed. I have had the same problem here:
bridge locators.jpg

If you place your locator very near the end = at the door it can work.

You can have one locator at each end and use a fake box to "run" over the bridge. Or to be exact a reload and a box at each end, not on top of each other.
The reload to enter the doors the box to teleport to, from the doors. A goto is needed too at the same spot as the box because I don't think you can emerge at a boxlocator.

The boxicon is changed to a walkicon.
Do you want me to try fixing it?

Yes please, though it's not that urgent - I don't have an specific quest purpose for the building. Maybe make it the loanshark, with a dialog option to ask about a merchant licence, to which he says something like "You'll want our trade department, then. Through the door, up the stairs, across the bridge and into the other building".

Sounds fun. I'll start tomorrow. If a loanshark how about the Bank location, it has the walls that corresponds best to the
exterior and a door at the short wall.
I just checked and the existing loanshark has that Bank location. So it can just be moved here?

Is there already a loanshark in Santo Domingo? I haven't found one, either by looking in "Locations\init\Hispaniola.c" or by wandering around Santo Domingo. "Characters\init\Usurers.c", which contains the character definitions for loansharks, does have an entry for Santo Domingo, but that's because the smuggler agents are also in that file and Santo Domingo does have one of those in the tavern.

But there is indeed a short piece of wall next to the bridge - you can see it in the first of the screenshots in the first post. There are no locators by that door at the moment but I can put some there (one "reload" and three "officers" so your party has somewhere to spawn when you leave the building).

Yes there is one in "Locations\init\Hispaniola.c". Search loanshark.

I see also that I have added lanterns for store, shipyard etc
Also for the loanshark. That wasn't too fun.

How about keeping the loanshark where it is and make the bridge lead to a small nice room
like SmallResidence2 for future quest purposes?

It's easier if I fix all needed locators as I have to change the locatorfile anyway.

No you're right, I was in Tortuga both concerning the loanshark and the lanterns.
So no problem let's add one here.

Okay, its done.

I had to fix with the walk-patch a little. One pavement was made enable
to walk on meaning there wasn't enough bridge area above without walking patch under.
The other pavement wasn't possible to actually walk on but had it's own isolated walk-patch.
So the problem for the bridge locators was the same.

Then I used the stairs in Doubleflour-house as it can be "cut-off" from the kitchen below. Had
to move both doors to the same side though. Right side if you look up the stairs. To match the exterior.

I made fake box locators on the bridge wich takes you to the other side with a running stone sound. Change the box icons to walk too.

For loanshark I have used a new character model from WoodesRogers 2. He's not looking too healthy.

Added fastreload and tested it.

The loanshark icon appears already on the reload locator on the street. Officer locators are there too.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

The files will be included in tonights upload.

Does that mean you can't actually walk on the bridge?
I think I know what Jack did; he has had to do that in many other spots in his storylines to allow the player access outside the regular walk patch.
It's a pretty clever work-around and works surprisingly well, I reckon. :doff

Yes, there is no walk-patch on the bridge but it is as Pieter says: a workaround so you can cross the bridge.

@Grey Roger, if you're not happy with the solution I'm able to come up with just say so and I'll throw it
out of the window. Otherwise you're welcome!

I, for one, hope it will be kept.
Updating the actual walk patch is not trivial and this is the next best thing. :cheers

@Jack Rackham: While it may not be quite what I'd hoped for, what I'd hoped for seems to be impossible, i.e. walking into the bridge. This seems to be a good alternative, certainly much better than simply going through a door in one building and emerging in the other building. I'd like to see your work and will most likely include it in the next update.

Well it didn't work. I tried to fix with the walk-patch because one of the sidewalks
has a separated walk-patch. Moved all those points to match the bridge instead but it didn't work
coming from the Loanshark, only from the stairs. So it will be the fake box teleporter.

I have uploded it on dropbox together with new WoodesRogers files as JRH files 3057 18-01-15.

Well it didn't work. I tried to fix with the walk-patch because one of the sidewalks
has a separated walk-patch. Moved all those points to match the bridge instead but it didn't work
coming from the Loanshark, only from the stairs. So it will be the fake box teleporter.
Credit for trying all the same. :onya

I must be missing something because when I'm on the bridge, the other side is apparently a chest:
santo_domingo_bridge.jpg

Is it possible to flip a scene to its mirror image? What would be nice is for the room on the first side of the building to be the loanshark's office and the room on the other side of the bridge to be where you can get a merchant licence, but the room which I have in mind (the "small store" room used in, for example, the San Juan store) has the stairs going up to the left, which doesn't look quite right for this building.

One possibility would be to have the stairs lead to a room such as the one used for the study in mansions, which has a second door to the right, and that could lead to the bridge. This would also mean I could put a receptionist on the ground floor; you talk to him, he asks your business, then he either tells you to go straight upstairs to the loanshark or go up and turn right to go across the bridge to the trade department, where you get the merchant licence.

In any case, thanks for this! I've already added it to my update collection as it is. :onya (Along with your "Woodes Rogers" files.)

Back