• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll More unique officers

What bonusses or pentalties should be applied at random to officers?

• Please don't do any of these things

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would be happy to help ....well in always happy to help rather then waisting my time doing nothing lol just tell me what I should do
Just changing some copies of your empty tga tex file?
First of all we need to come up with ideas for perks which can be specific for every type of officer.
So we need:
- a name
- a description
- images
- what it should do

I can program the last part but I need you guys help on the first parts because I don't have much time. So please come up with ideas for perks for all officers. if we have a list of them all and the names and descriptions and images I will program it.

Hi Levis,

I can make 20 ideas for each officer at about 1 per minute. ;) Before I flood you with more than you need, why don't you look at the below, tell me which ones you like, which ones you don't like, and why, and then I will tailor the future ones I give you to your preferences, as best I can.

And give me how many you want for each officer type, total. Then I will aim the number I give you towards that.

Obviously, listed effects are just an idea, and could be changed to anything you think fits the theme. :)

@imado552 maybe you could help with pictures once we get the perks decided? I am incompetent at that. ;) But let's see what Levis likes and doesn't first...

Surgeon:
1) Preventative medicine.

This doctor insists on the crew following healthy habits and preserving their health. But he is a bit of an annoyance when trying to enjoy rum.

Rum consumption reduced 10 percent, +1 to doctor's skill, minor negative morale effect.

2) Student of anatomy

This surgeon frequently practices his craft and hones his skills on cadavers. Skilled, certainly, but the men sometimes object to the extra cuts and holes they find in the bodies of their recently deceased friends.

Reputation -10 to officer, +2 to doctor skill, minor negative morale effect

3) Butcher

Some say this man took up the profession of a surgeon to have an excuse to cut into his fellow man. Now, as long as the captain lets him "practice" a bit on the survivors of the other side in boarding actions, he is more than willing to work for only food and rum.

Reputation -2 after every sea combat boarding action, minor negative morale effect, 0 salary demanded, hired for free as well.

4) Compassionate surgeon

This doctor cares deeply about each man under his care, and the crew loves him for it. But sometimes his compassion gets in the way of the hard decisions, and delaying an amputation can mean a lost life.

Minor morale boost, -2 to defenseskill

5) botanist

Interest in new plants and native medicines brought this doctor to the Caribbean, and the knowledge he is building in these subjects aids his practice. But he insists upon a generous budget to procure whatever specimens he can every time he enters a port.

Defense Skill +1, double usual salary

Last edited:
Let's make it 10 ideas for the doctor, so Levis can really pick which ones he likes most. ;)

6) Hipocratic Oath

This doctor firmly believes that he should do no harm. As such, in comparison to his combat abilities, a parrot looks fearsome. But he takes his medical studies equally seriously.

Melee and accuracy set to 0. Defense skill +1 (it seems small compensation, but really most doctors will be noncombatents anyway

7) Poisoner

This doctor's studies have drifted into...unconventional areas. The Chinese say "medicine and poison come from the same source," and this doctor very much agrees. Unfortunately, working with dangerous chemicals has damaged his health.

Equiped blade always given the poison attribute, like a borgia blade, but doctor health -3 per level.

8) Battlefield Sawbones

Originally a bosun on a ship without the finances to support a proper surgeon, this doctor learned his trade through practice, treating injuries for his men. Unfortunately, he is a bit lacking in the theory department, and it shows. If a fully trained surgeon is later hired, perhaps he would not mind a return to his former profession...

Defense skill -1, grappling skill +1, sailing +1

(Notice this guy would still have many perks tied up in doctor stuff, and lower starting skills in the gappling and sailing based on doctor skill importances, but the longterm benefit of the +1 (especially in making reaching higher skill xp levels faster) might counterbalance that if his role were changed. Same with below:)

9) Medical Businessman

This doctor chose his profession for the high salary. Maybe he would be happier just ditching the medicine part...

Defense skill -1, commerce +1

10) Love of Science

This doctor's true love is in medical discovery. If he can be kept happy in this pursuit, his natural genius will be of great value to the health of the ship.

If equiped with a microscope, defense skill +1

Levis, I made these sort of without worrying about coding difficulty, so once you let me know which are too hard to do, and which you do like, I'll aim to give you a shorter list of ones more likely to be what you want for future roles. I wanted to give you alot for the first officer type so you can decide what kind you like, and I can learn what sorts to create going forward.

Last edited:
@Tingyun having perks which boost Skill I think is a bit weird. These skill boosts will come from the normal bonusses which will be applied at random. These perks need to have other effects. Things like the poisoner sound good altough that one might be a bit OP.

From what I imagine now it will be something like this:
Most officers will have some personallty traits. This will give them things like:
- Salaray modifier
- Skill modifier
- Some skills set to 0
- HP modifier
Next to that there are some special perks which are normally "hidden" and can't be gotten trough normal means. If your officer has the right personalty traits one or more of these perks will be aviable.
Some might be avaible for more then 1 officertype.
So we need some perks which give some bonusses etc. I prefer not to have to many because for each perk we need to make 4 images etc.

having perks which boost Skill I think is a bit weird
These are more "character traits" than "perks" though. Isn't them boosting skill exactly what the "Skill bonusses and penalties (so +1 in skill X etc)" poll option is for?

These are more "character traits" than "perks" though. Isn't them boosting skill exactly what the "Skill bonusses and penalties (so +1 in skill X etc)" poll option is for?
it is. but I was asking mostly for perk ideas now XD.
and I believe @Tingyun mixed it up a bit because he did give descirptions etc.

btw one perk idea could for example be:
"Cursed by Calipso"
You can only go to shore once every 10 years.

If you play as davyjones we can just enable this perk for him and change the code which is now used for him to use in this perk.
If you by accident hire a officer with this curse you are royaly screwed XD. As a counter you could even make this officer immortal :p.

Another fun one might be:
"Branded as Pirate"
Your relation with nations gets a -10 penalty, your relation with pirates get a +20 bonus.

Having a officer with you who is branded as a pirate could be a problem. But if you are playing as a pirate you might not complain. And characters who have this perk get for example also a +1 in melee and a HP bonus to counter the bad effect.

One more serious might be:
"Actor"
False flag detection is reduced by 15%

I think this will give you some ideas :).

"Cursed by Calipso"
You can only go to shore once every 10 years.

If you play as davyjones we can just enable this perk for him and change the code which is now used for him to use in this perk.
If you by accident hire a officer with this curse you are royaly screwed XD. As a counter you could even make this officer immortal :p.
:rofl :rofl :rofl

At the moment the "Davy Jones curse behaviour" is triggered by having the "Chest of Davy Jones" item.
If it is changed into a perk, then the chest won't be needed.

But at the moment it can only possibly affect the player. How do officers fit in?
Also..... BUILD 15 IDEA!!!

"Branded as Pirate"
Your relation with nations gets a -10 penalty, your relation with pirates get a +20 bonus.
Again, specifically for the player?

"Branded as Pirate" could work for an officer, but not to automatically affect your relations. If he's in your shore party then there's a chance of guards trying to arrest him - maybe the guards just fight him and you have the choice of joining in or running away. ("He's not with us, officer. Honestly. :bonaparte") Or add a guard dialog in which they want to arrest him and you have the choice of turning him over or fighting them. Maybe have it expire after a while, or after you've gained sufficient rank as a privateer or bought a merchant licence - the character was a pirate but he's joined your loyal privateer / honest merchant ship and given up the life of crime.

If you defend the officer then you get a big morale boost - the crew now know you'll stand by them, no matter what. If it's the guard dialog and you choose to hand him over, maybe get a small reputation boost - you're an honest captain and uphold the law even when it costs you an officer. On the other hand, defending the officer could cost you some relation points with the nation trying to arrest him, while handing him over could cost you some morale.

"Branded as Pirate" could work for an officer, but not to automatically affect your relations. If he's in your shore party then there's a chance of guards trying to arrest him - maybe the guards just fight him and you have the choice of joining in or running away.
That was matches up pretty darn well with what I'd imagine too. Sounds good! :onya

it is. but I was asking mostly for perk ideas now XD.
and I believe @Tingyun mixed it up a bit because he did give descirptions etc.

Levis, I'm confused then. :)

My understanding was you wanted character traits implemented as perks that can't be purchased to be applied at random to starting characters, which would not be purchasable with perk points (ie, they make the officer unique, and you'd have to find them).

I wrote those 10 with that in mind--unpurchasable, they reflect the doctor's innate training or character.

Don't we need lively descriptions of character traits if they are to work? If there is no description, then how will it add flavor to the character? A hidden modifier won't hardly be noticed, and certainly won't tell a story about the character.

For the record, I like the idea of @Tingyun's suggestions.
At the moment I cannot think how practical they would all be. But the ideas are nice. :onya

Imado actually hold off on doing anything for the character traits I posted, Levis might not want to use any of those, we have to wait and see what he ends up wanting.

Good luck with your studies! :)

There is a reason I made the interface tweaks to show skill modifiers. There you can see already what is causing the skill boost and and HP boost etc.
As a bonus I would also like to have some perks which can be purchased which can have extra effects.
You understand?

An exta description of the "character traits" can also be shown when you right click on the portrait of the character

Hi Levis,

Do some of the examples I posted work for character traits? That was what I was going for for them. The description I wrote can be what is used for the right click on the portrait of the character I think. :)

I can create character traits for the other officer types as well, just started with the doctor so I could get feedback on which specific ones you like, which you don't like, and tailor future submissions accordingly.

As for perks, I can try to think of some ideas too. :)

Imado actually hold off on doing anything for the character traits I posted, Levis might not want to use any of those, we have to wait and see what he ends up wanting.

Good luck with your studies! :)
Ok sure no problem
And thanks!!

Some of those sound good but I don't want to have to many (at the start at least). I will make a few and the way you can add them will be easy so you or someone else could expand on it.
Mostly now I want to focus on some perks we can add to those traits. Like I said some perks might be avaible for more than one trait.

Imagine it will look something like this:
Code:
id = "CrazyFighter";
Charactertrait.(id).hpbonus = 10;
Charactertrait.(id).skillbonus.fencing = 1;
Charactertrait.(id).skillbonus.defense = -1;
Charactertrait.(id).skilldisable.sailing = 1;
Charactertrait.(id).salarymod.base = -100;
Charactertrait.(id).salarymod.level = -1;
Charactertrait.(id).perk.backstabber = 1;
Charactertrait.(id).name = "Crazy Fighter";
Charactertrait.(id).description = "This person will fight without minding his own life. He just loves to fight.";

So adding new ones will be very easy. This one will get a +1 in fencing, a -1 in defense. It will disable sailing (so set it to 0) and will have a base salary reduction by 100 and per level reduction of 1.
He will also get the perk BackStabber eneabled (which for now I have no idea what it does :p).

Do you get where I'm going now @Tingyun ?

Back