• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll More unique officers

What bonusses or pentalties should be applied at random to officers?

• Please don't do any of these things

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As far as I know we remove the officer farming from the game a bit so you can only encounter 1 of 2 different officer per day in the tavern
The "tavern in/out" trick still exists, so if you want to see plenty of officers in the same day, you can.

But if players really want to go through all that effort, I say let them!
Sounds like a royal pain to me, so you won't catch me wasting my time on that. :wp

I only hire tavern table officers, but I don't do in and out tricks. The tavern dialogue gives too high level officers, and I like serendipity playing a role in when I can meet a great surgeon--plugging in "generate this type" doesn't make for a great emergent story in my opinion. :)

So I don't think any action is needed on the tavern table in out trick, players can exploit the game if they choose, or not if they prefer, no point to restricting. Heck, they can just sleep in tavern day after day, it's not like crew salaries are any real restriction to that, and the player is immortal! ;)

@Levis inded I do see where you are going, as I said I am very exciting for the system!

My disagreement was limited to the specific implementation of those 2 officer types. In general when you have two combat officers (the crazy fighter and the cautious officer) defined with combat trade offs, pluses and minuses, I don't think a third one (freebooter) should get pure combat benefits. As I explained skills negative won't matter for his role as a fighter, and given the specialization the trade off becomes a one way bonus too easily. Just some early feedback on the idea--if you decide you like that setup anyway, I'll put my concerns aside for now and happily try it in game. :)

Either way, I love your idea and everything you are doing for the mod! :)

If you know something else which would play into people having a LoM and or being a navy character I'm all ears. I want to help people playing in different play styles and give them different incentives etc.

Also does anyone mind if I'm going to have some fun with people who do the tavern in/out trick?
I was thinking of adding some kind of counter. It would remember the last area you loaded, and if you go back to this area again it would increase the counter. if not it would reset it. So if you go in and out of the tavern each time it would increase this counter. If it reaches a certain high it will check for your location and if this is for example matches a tavern location the officiant will tell you to either pick a table or go away or something like that :p.

The tavern dialogue gives too high level officers, and I like serendipity playing a role in when I can meet a great surgeon--plugging in "generate this type" doesn't make for a great emergent story in my opinion. :)
I told you how to get rid of that "higher level" thing, right?
Maybe we should indeed change that in the main mod.

Also does anyone mind if I'm going to have some fun with people who do the tavern in/out trick?
I was thinking of adding some kind of counter. It would remember the last area you loaded, and if you go back to this area again it would increase the counter. if not it would reset it. So if you go in and out of the tavern each time it would increase this counter. If it reaches a certain high it will check for your location and if this is for example matches a tavern location the officiant will tell you to either pick a table or go away or something like that :p.
Not sure it is worth the effort, but it would be a funny Easter Egg! :rofl

I started on a unification of the hiring officer function yesterday, to bring the different means in line for how the level is rolled, actually. But then I got bogged down in some comments in the encounter walker dialogue about it being intentional that they are somewhat different in ways, and I wondered if unifying them made sense or not.

I am glad to bring the tavern keeper "give me a blank" officer levels to the same as used in tavern table officers. Note this would bring down their level.

If we want to do that, at the same time I'd say let's go for my experimental version formula for hired officer creation. Only change is removing luck and replacing it with leadership having more of an effect.

(In the base mod, luck is almost as important as leadership for officer level)

Do note that people playing on higher difficulty levels will notice getting MUCH lower level officers from the tavern keeper.

I am glad to bring the tavern keeper "give me a blank" officer levels to the same as used in tavern table officers. Note this would bring down their level.
Just replace that "Leadership" input with a 0 instead. That should get the "hire from tavern owner" officers similar to the player level.
Instead of them being higher level than you as your leadership increases.

E.g. in tavern.c, find:
Code:
CreateOfficerType(OFFIC_TYPE_BOATSWAIN, sti(PChar.skill.Leadership));
Replace with:
Code:
CreateOfficerType(OFFIC_TYPE_BOATSWAIN, 0);
Repeat for the other officer types.

That influences ONLY these guys and is something that seems quite fair to me.
Back when I added this feature, it could easily have gone either way. I added that Leadership influence.... because I could?
But I had no clue if it would be a good idea or not. So just get rid of it again.

Will do.

At the same time, what do you think about replacing luck with leadership in the primary generation? I can post both and see if people disagree.

Current is 3 x leadership 2 x luck. I think leadership is special in this regard and should have he full influence

@Levis for the bonus to LOM/Navy officer special perk, how about the freebooter gets a bonus that increases the number of hireable officers in taverns?

The LOM and navy officer might be going through crew more than others, and a small boost representing the freebooter's ability to convince others to go out for adventure and fortune and generate more volunteers makes sense.

Maybe increase the number available, or he generates a free +3 crewmen everytime you enter a port, or he guarantees crew will be waiting for free in the tavern, something like that.

Back