• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mulitplayer clan/brotherhood

K

Keith

Hey, if this has Multiplayer in it as we all expect, how do you think clans/brotherhoods will work? We all think there will be a few of them? We all agree we should have a PA! clan/brother(and sister cat xD: ) hood?

Also presuming this is all the case what would you guys like to see at PA! to compliment/encourage this like a new site or some kind of ladder system?

I would join swords with PA anyday! As for the ladder, if it was big enough it would be great however if it only has 3 or 4 clans on i dunno.

I don't quite know what multiplayer would offer a game like this. I got as excited as the next person at the thought of POTC with multiplayer, but what exactly could it accomplish?

I don't think sword fighting would be much fun due to even the slightest amounts of lag (you think you've blocked it but you take damage and what looks like a perfectly good hit delivers nothing), and two people slowly sailing around each other's ships pressing spacebar wouldn't be popular for long. Of course you can approach each sea battle with your own particular technique (cut their crew down, or their sails before you lay into them with the heavy bombardment) but it'll almost become an elaborate case of jan ken pon.

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun (because I don't know jack about the game anyway) but I figure the sea battles need to be really involved in order to prolong the enjoyment in a multiplayer environment of a slow combat system. I think this is where PotBS has really focused their attention, and perhaps Akella are following suit since it is the same game engine.

I'm looking forward to this game as a single player game, and if it does have multiplayer, I might go adventuring with some friends on a LAN, but for a serious multiplayer pirating experience, I'm more looking forwards to PotBS. xD:

Id be looking forward to `co-op` that way lag wouldnt be to much of a problem, and id enjoy sailing with the likes of my fellow aussies ( making the Australians the real power of the Caribbean as it should have been xD:)

Plus with FB you know you'd never starve :yes

Bubba Gump shrimp and Jambalaya on the barbie?? I'm there mate! xD:

Sampow does bring up a good point though, laggy sword fighting would really suck. :x

Has any ye gents played Battlefield 1942 or the mod, Battlefield: Pirates, online? xD: Thar already be a [PA!] clan fer BFP although admittedly small wid jus' Spaz, KevO, an' Fred Bob so far. Lag kin certainly be a problem at times, but funny thang be ye kinda learn tew play around it! :yes Those interested in MP should try out BFP, if fer no udder reason den tew say thay done it! It be puzzlin' tew Fred Bob dat several brotherhoods were formed expressly fer de purpose o' playin' multiplayer Sea Dogs 2, but none have tried BFP, whar 2 clans could take each udder on! xD:

Fred Bob - I've never done this multiplayer online stuff - was simply never interested - but all your talk about BFPirates makes me want to know more (sounds like fun, ha!) - do I need any special equipment for playing?

As for multiplayer online Pirates!, <shrug> I'm not terribly interested (at least I don't think I am) yet in this feature.

I still am on a pokey old dialup, tho this MAY CHANGE sometime soon (waiting on the landlord to move some of us around in the house) and I'll get <sigh> DSL... Been DREAMING about that one... xD:

Well ya points yer ship towards Louisiana and get under full sail... :p: :cheers

I'm not finished with the mod yet, Vassal, so you'll have to wait. I wish I had more time to work on it but I have a lot of stuff on my plate right now so this project has been moved to a back burner for a bit... (sorry!)

oh yeah lag will definitely be a huge problem if the swordfight is in realtime, however if it's turn based then it will be fine, but turn based battle isnt very good for multiplayer, perhaps we should just leave the design and technical issues to the developer lol.
Hell yeah I am in

Back