• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Music in the Golden Age

Very nice Bava! I very much like the Lully Ceremonial March and the Charpentier is nice as well. I think I may use the Lully March in my next music pack update. In the Turbulent Times Music mod (currently in GOF1.2) I used composers ethnically tied to each faction. So you hear Purcell and Handel when you go into English towns, Wassenaer in the Dutch, Nebra for the Spaniards, and I already used exclusively Lully tracks in the French towns.

I think in any historical media offering (including games) the music is so important to establish mood and feel.

MK

I think in any historical media offering (including games) the music is so important to establish mood and feel.

Absolutely true. One of the best examples for this I´ve experienced so far is Europa Barbarorum. The mod itself is superb, but it was the sound (slightly altered 'antique' music) that turned it into my favourite game ever.

OK so I was surfing a little and found these....

I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable fellow as far as classical music is concerned. Among my degrees, my first one was a BA in music performance. However, I have never heard of Ignacio de Jerusalem (1707-1769) before today. He was born and educated in Italy, but was enticed to go to New Spain where he became the Capell Maestro and composed for the Cathedral of Mexico in Mexico City. He died in Mexico and is buried in the Cathedral. His music is absolutely brilliant and educated Mexicans are obviously very proud of having their own baroque composer. Just when you think you know a lot, you learn more. The older I get the more I realize how much I don't know and how really stupid I am.

Someone was complaining recently they couldn't find Spanish music for the music packs. I put Neruda in the GOF music mod pack for Spain (Turbulent Times) Here is a link to that mod again if anyone is interested. http://www.gamefront.com/files/20999604/MK's+Turbulent+Times+Music+Mod.rar The link got buried when we made the transfer to Xenforo. This is the music that is currently in GOF1.2

Now that I have found Jerusalem I will add some of his music to the mod pack for Spain in my GOF Era's mod. I have basically figured out how to expand the music to include as many tracks as I want.

MK

I like where this thread is going :D
MK, also never heard about this guy, but his music is great, thanks for posting it!

Now this one is just a freakin trip! Most people just do not realize how cosmopolitan and sophisticated New Spain had become by the time of the age of piracy. I'm trying to track down a copy of this movie. MK

Interesting, MK! So much to learn, so little time :p On the subject of New Spain, Willis´ 1688 contains a very informative chapter about the life in the spanish colonies. The rest of the book is a nice read, too, of course.

On topic: Boccherini time!

Edit: And a bit of Telemann.

I had really got into the Czech composer Zelenka for awhile now. Recently I have been coming back to good old Bach. I found a really beautiful version of his Erbarme dich BWV244 Matthaus Passion that is arranged for Violin, Cello and organ. Really nice - surprisingly performed not too far from where I am now.

I also find that I am drawn to the Vanhal Symphonies lately. He is the considered the father of the darker "sturm and drang" and was a predecessor and contemporary of Mozart. From what I can gather they were friends and performed together with others for casual fun on the weekends. Vanhal was a known violin virtuoso and Mozart would play viola in their quartets. You can certainly hear the influence he had on Mozart. I found a free public domain version of this symphony and used the last movement (part2) of this video as an additional fight music track in GOF Eras.

I have also really got into Jarousky's performances lately. This one is from Versailles. The Scherza Infida at 46:00 is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard. MK

So that is a lute. Big thing. In what locations would a lute be appropriate?

Well this is a baroque lute, so it would have still been used into the late 1700s - in Spanish cities, the baroque/rococco held out longer into the early 1800s. The guitar would still have been much more common though. In the 1600s and 1700s the lute would have been found in any performing musical group from high brow orchestras performing for nobles to tavern bands and bards. I'm certain that many made their way to the New World colonies as well.

Here's some more - Bach and Vivaldi....

MK

Back