• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Musician

Chas

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
QA Tester
Provisional
I am a musician and am willing to make music for this game

:ahoy

We can always do with a good musician. Music is always my biggest concern as it is the one thing I really suck at.

That sounds cool. What kind of music would you be able to make?

On the subject of music, as I see it we will need at least 3 music packs.

Movie soundtracks

Orchestral music

Period folk music

Then there is Black Jack's mega music pack. Could it be adapted?

You want a deadline? :8q As far as I know the first thing to come out will be a Demo that Hammie and ZarethPL are working on. It seems it will feature a small ship sailing around an island firing cannons. What kind of music would go best with that?

Something period, I think. Like English folk music. I don't think that the shanty Heart of Oak would fit that demo particularity well.

Indeed we can't think of deadlines right now. Start thinking of what you'd like to do, how and in which style.

What does the shanty "Hearts of Oak" sound like? Could we not possibly take that melody and work it around as a "main theme" for the game? That sounds like a cool idea to me, but I've got no clue if it could be made to work. :facepalm

I'd propose the text could be fine only a new background music more intense. More thrilling. Don't know crank it up a little I know it's a shanty and they weren't song with anything but it sounds nicer i believe if we can look into it making it a little like official pirates of the caribbean themes like drink up me hearties

That wouldn't work as in-game music. A version played as a march by a string orchestra would do nicely as start menu/travel music. I'm in favor of using period music or no music at all for the actual gameplay. If we choose the former rather than the latter, we would change the music to match each time period.

Awww... but I like orchestral pirate movie music. Cutthroat Island for the win! :dance

I like the idea of three music packs:
1. Orchestral movie
2. Period
3. Classical
and maybe
4. More modern, eg. PotC-style

And
5. Music only in places where you would hear music/where you can see who is making the music, for extra realism. The music here would be period.

You mean like the men on the ship playing on their instruments if they had any or in taverns. I totally agree you shouldn't have music on street where there is no-one there to make the music. However you should outside hear ppl talk against each other, belltowers for the time and that you actually hear it. Outside the ambient should make a nice enough sound so you wont need a music to crank it up

I think that Assassin's Creed has a very cool and funny example where there are several musicians playing around in the city of Rome. They are of course annoying, but having very local music source such as that could be a very cool feature to have.

I thought about this once more and came more to the conclusion you need music. Music is everything. For emotional moments,to action parts. In a battle there could be a nice background music like the drums or whatever. ever watched a movie and than mute it in the action parts? it is shitty. Music is very important in creating a game.

Only problem where can i find a good program for making music i'd like to try that. Next to learning the UDK

Back