• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Naval Action - Open world multiplayer RPG

Maxizzz

Powder Monkey
Hey everyone.
We are excited to bring something special to show to PiratesAhoy.

Its our age of sail game Naval Action. We have been developing this product since February.
Please visit our preliminary WIP version of the website. We would love to hear your feedback, questions and critique on it and its content.

www.navalaction.com

The product is very close to first feature testing and we will keep you posted on the timing. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Is this a pure MMORPG or can it also be played offline?
MMORPGs have generally discredited themselves over last years. And mmorpg development model has littered the world with hundreds of failed products. Thus it is definitely not a pure MMORPG.

We don't know about offline yet, if we develop good AI systems for economy, conquest, port management etc, then full single player could be possible. But we know that it is much more exciting to see a sail on the horizon and know it is a real human captain in that ship.

Those screenshots look pretty good! I'll be looking forward to some gameplay videos and perhaps some battles too. :woot

In the meantime, I posted about your game on our promotional profiles and moved your post so it displays on our main page. :doff

Biggest problem with MMORPG's is that they often need to appeal to the masses, and realism is often sacrificed for gameplay.

I seem to recall from reading the early dev blogs of Pirates of the Burning Sea, that it was originally concieved as a much more realistic game then what was finally released.

Should be very interesting to see how Naval Action pans out. :)

Biggest problem with MMORPG's is that they often need to appeal to the masses, and realism is often sacrificed for gameplay.

I seem to recall from reading the early dev blogs of Pirates of the Burning Sea, that it was originally concieved as a much more realistic game then what was finally released.

Most of our team members were playing POTBS a lot since beta till the end. The major problem of that game was too much content that was useless. That took away attention of developers from important problems: i mean seriously. they spent months working on a new avatar combat and no one asked for this; they created and programmed 1000 quests but players used 3-4 quest lines to level to 50 - marsh harbor, turpitude, San Marcos, Jaqueme and then go PVP; crafting had thousands of items no one used.. dozens of useless models no one sailed. the list can go on for ever.

I have to say, that does look beautiful! Which game engine are you using?

EDIT: Oh, and are you aiming for a specific time period for the game's setting?

I have to say, that does look beautiful! Which game engine are you using?

EDIT: Oh, and are you aiming for a specific time period for the game's setting?

• we are using unity engine - but we are customizing some shaders and render tech.
  • i would personally want 1500-1830, but we don't know yet how ships from different age will look close to each other at sea. thats an open question

i would personally want 1500-1830, but we don't know yet how ships from different age will look close to each other at sea. thats an open question
You came to the right place, then. We've got some experts on the subject right here.
And quite some experience with it too, since we've been working on that for quite some time with the Periods Mod in PotC: New Horizons.

In my humble opinion, ships from very different time periods would look strange together. The newer ones would probably have an unfair advantage, too.

For naval combat i think the mid 1700's to early 1800's would be the best.
Its there you have many of the interesting funtional ships.

Pre-1700's there was no real tried and true methods for building ships really, and it was a matter of trial and error.
Add also to the reality that back then each ship was pretty much unique in its own ways, due to the way ships were designed and built with the available construction methods.
On top of that you had shipbuilders who had their own trade secrets and special measurements they built ships after.
It really isnt until the 18th century that ships started being built after standards.

For naval combat i think the mid 1700's to early 1800's would be the best.
Its there you have many of the interesting funtional ships.

Pre-1700's there was no real tried and true methods for building ships really, and it was a matter of trial and error.
Add also to the reality that back then each ship was pretty much unique in its own ways, due to the way ships were designed and built with the available construction methods.
On top of that you had shipbuilders who had their own trade secrets and special measurements they built ships after.
It really isnt until the 18th century that ships started being built after standards.

:shrug:nogood I can't even begin to stress just how much is so totally wrong with the statement above.

JUST FOR STARTERS: I highly recommend the study and/or reading of the following books:

SHIPS AND SCIENCE; The Birth of Naval Architecture in the Scientific Revolution, 1600-1800 by Larrie D. Ferreiro - published by MIT Press ISBN 978-0-262-51415-6

Pepys's NAVY: Ships, Men & Warfare 1649-1689, by J.D. Davies - published by Seaforth publishing ISBN 978-1-84832-014-7

and the essential!!! - Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age, by A.J. Hoving - a reprint of the original 17th century ship building treatises and manuscripts published with running commentary by the author and published by Texas A&M University Press ISBN 978-1-60344-286-2

Last I would recommend taking a look at any one of a dozen good books about 17th century English Navy Board models and collections. While its true that many shipbuilders (and nations even) did guard their secrets just as nations safeguard technology today, there are numerous surviving plans, measurements, building standards, dimensions and guides that have survived. Bottom line: for some nations and organizations there were very well established standards throughout the 17th century.
....just for starters xD :whipa

There are many "interesting and functional" ships and ship classes found in the 17th century as well.

It is yet more completely useless and ignorant commentary like this - that has caused me to all but lose my remaining interest in this sight.

- - - believe whatever historic fantasy suits you.

MK

Definitely an interesting development! The graphics look fantastic. It appears the ships are some of those originally built by the modeler axonalias for a sailing simulator. will the interiors be included? or will it all be in third person of the ship?
http://hangsim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4367&sid=4f421743dff40cf7735880dd2cef7f12&start=50
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=333&t=33757&sid=f942299afdf93114ad1c504acb5c6417.

Edit: Figured it's only be a matter of time till someone commented on that statement about shipbuilding. well said:)
It would definitely be best to separate it into periods, not just for us realism nuts, but to prevent giving anachronistic ships huge advantages, and rendering ships that would've been the finest in the world in their time second rate ships.

:shrug:nogood I can't even begin to stress just how much is so totally wrong with the statement above.
[...]
History fight? :duel:

It appears the ships are some of those originally built by the modeler axonalias for a sailing simulator. will the interiors be included?
http://hangsim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4367&sid=4f421743dff40cf7735880dd2cef7f12&start=50
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=333&t=33757&sid=f942299afdf93114ad1c504acb5c6417.
HA! We're back to Virtual Sailor! Or at least, it's "sequel" Vehicle Simulator. Oh, those were the days:
bremen.jpg

modeler axonalias for a sailing simulator. will the interiors be included? or will it all be in third person of the ship?
He is on our team currently: as an external consultant and modeler.
About interiors - it can be easily done if it will serve the purpose. If this will be necessary it could be done. But remember Nelson died on the deck. Not inside )))

There are many "interesting and functional" ships and ship classes found in the 17th century as well.
MK

Some ships from before the 1700 are so awesome that it will be a crime to not include them into the game. This theory is also very easy to test. We'll make some old models and see how it looks and show you.

JUST FOR STARTERS: I highly recommend the study and/or reading of the following books:

SHIPS AND SCIENCE; The Birth of Naval Architecture in the Scientific Revolution, 1600-1800 by Larrie D. Ferreiro - published by MIT Press ISBN 978-0-262-51415-6

Pepys's NAVY: Ships, Men & Warfare 1649-1689, by J.D. Davies - published by Seaforth publishing ISBN 978-1-84832-014-7

and the essential!!! - Nicolaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age, by A.J. Hoving - a reprint of the original 17th century ship building treatises and manuscripts published with running commentary by the author and published by Texas A&M University Press ISBN 978-1-60344-286-2

Last I would recommend taking a look at any one of a dozen good books about 17th century English Navy Board models and collections. While its true that many shipbuilders (and nations even) did guard their secrets just as nations safeguard technology today, there are numerous surviving plans, measurements, building standards, dimensions and guides that have survived. Bottom line: for some nations and organizations there were very well established standards throughout the 17th century.
....just for starters xD :whipa

It is yet more completely useless and ignorant commentary like this - that has caused me to all but lose my remaining interest in this sight.

MK

Ok so you know a bit more and have access to sources I do not, and I deferr to your obviously superior knowledge.
Though pre-1700's was a poor choice of words on my part as I was more thinking of the early 1600's.
But thats no reason to act like a complete asshole.

All I meant was that 18th centry ships were built in a more uniform fashion without the rich and unique ornamentation that dominated ships throughout a large part of the 17th century.
You yourself might want to check out a swedish book called "Flytande Palats"(Floating Palaces) by Hans Soop, that is if its been published in english, which I am not entirely certain of.

He is on our team currently: as an external consultant and modeler.
About interiors - it can be easily done if it will serve the purpose. If this will be necessary it could be done. But remember Nelson died on the deck. Not inside )))

Glad to hear he's on your team! :onya As for interiors, I guess that depends on how you guys plan to implement boarding.

Back