• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Naval Action - Open world multiplayer RPG

That does look seriously good, @Maxizz! I've got to admit I am becoming quite interested to see what your work will actually play like.
When you release, I'll probably be tempted to try it even if I probably won't have time for proper play.
In any case, congratulations and I am looking forward to the final results! :onya

Looking very good there mate, excellent work! :woot

MMORPGs have generally discredited themselves over last years. And mmorpg development model has littered the world with hundreds of failed products. Thus it is definitely not a pure MMORPG.

We don't know about offline yet, if we develop good AI systems for economy, conquest, port management etc, then full single player could be possible. But we know that it is much more exciting to see a sail on the horizon and know it is a real human captain in that ship.

I would absolutely LOVE you for the implementation of an Offline-SP, since I'm an SP-Only-Player and I hate it to get ganked by a bunch of players from a guild with superior ships (You farm weeks for money, get your new ship, take a step out of the port and then you die instantly to a group. Pure RAGE). Played PotBS too until Level 50, joined a guild, bought a Treason and then quitted when I finally got AoP 2:CoAS. And don't even remind me of the really annoying fact, that Tortuga was often in a PvP-Zone for several weeks in a row. Never bothered to install PotBS again.
You could tweak some mechanics towards the SP, like reduced prices, removing the nonsensical "Can't be captured"-rule on NPCs with Highend-ships, reducing material costs for building and adding manual saves. I can assure you: you will have a larger playerbase (Something, that Ubisoft and EA don't understand).
Heck, I'm even willing to pay 100 € for the Pirate-Game of my dreams.

It's also frustrating to see, that every new Pirate-Game is either
a) bad in general,
b) an Online-Game
c) not a "real" Pirate-Game at all (No Sailing, no Ship combat, etc.).

Then there are games like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, that would be great if you could sail more ships.

I find it quite sad that you have to buy old games (or play Minecraft with Ship-Mods), if you want a decent SP-Pirate-Experience without worrying about gankers behind the corner or farming weeks/months for money to get a ship.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, Naval Action is not a single player game.

You can always try the Pirate game mods we make here if you want something single player.

That's correct and I really enjoy them, so THX 11-38 for that. :)

But sometimes, if you played the old games over and over, regardless of mods, you want something new.

For instance, I think of CoAS as the current best Pirate-Game for SP you can get, especially with Gentlemen of Fortune. So with nearly 200 hours played, you are fed with it and seek for a game with new/refined features, mechanics and graphics, as CoAS has game-breaking bugs, "Guide Dang It"-Quests, very old graphics and confusing, yet frustrating gameplay decisions. And when you only find Pirate-Games, that are worse, Online-Only or ordinary RPGs in a Carribean-Setting without sailing at all, you may get desperate. :(

PotC is always an option. After 11 years of modding, it is pretty advanced.
We're still working on fixing and improving many things and are hoping to have a fully playable version before the end of the year.

Playing Naval Action quite a lot nowadays - I have to say things like the ability to turn your yards etc. really makes it hard to go back to PotC once you've experienced it.

Naval Action on Steam

Just saw this come out on Steam.
Anyone try it yet? It is $40... not sure if it is worth spending that much on a game with just battle and no open world atmosphere..?

Edit: didn't know there was a thread already :oops:

If developers are reading this, I got $21 on my steam wallet... discount please? :D

Last edited:
Naval Action on Steam

Just saw this come out on Steam.
Anyone try it yet? It is $40... not sure if it is worth spending that much on a game with just battle and no open world atmosphere..?

Edit: didn't know there was a thread already :oops:

If developers are reading this, I got $21 on my steam wallet... discount please? :D

Playing this since it was released (as alpha) on steam.
Ok where to start: battles are EPIC and fun. They are slow, tactical, and require skill to know how to use sails (if you dont wanna use auto sails) which is a must for bigger ships.
Ship variety is decent for alpha. Huge battles involving lots of people are extremly interesting, port battles also.

There is crafting in the game equipment, ships, etc which will be expanded even more.

Game uses skill points based system where you gather xp by killing stuff, doing missions, etc
There is also crafting xp which is gathered from crafting stuff.

Open world is very much alive with npcs actively moving around, and players everywhere going in groups or solo creating problems for enemy nations :) , lots of active guilds/clans in all nations.

There are 2-3 PVP servers and 1 PVE server. PVP1 is mostly full or near full during EU afternoon-night (thats some 2000-2400 people on one server)

Trading is done at a basic level, and will be expanded soon [tm], but you can set contracts etc for goods or ships, sell/buy goods at ports.

Ships, world, explosions look beautifull but UI is horrific (because its a placeholder for a new UI that is to come in the future).

Its an early alpha game, thou a very good alpha at that which have much more content than many other games, but its unfinished, there are bugs, lots of em, and if you cant stand terrrible looking placeholder UI than i suggest you wait.

If you got any more questions just shoot em here and if i know i'll answer.

I've also dabbled with the game, but I must say that I still have a lot to learn. the NPCs are better at aiming their cannons than I am (my shots seem to spread all around the sea, while theirs seem to converge on me). But I've sailed around and admired the views. At the moment, all the islands look pretty much the same and I could not really tell the difference between Barbados and the others (given that the other islands are volcanic in origin while Barbados isn't). It _is_ fun to have Sweden as its own faction in the game, since that gives me a bit more of a historical connection with the game (being a Finn and Finland was basically part of Sweden during most of the Age of Sail).

Really looking forward to how this progresses.

Last edited:
We have started internal testing of the open world prototype. Here are some of the screenshots from the latest build.

Ki923hM.jpg

FvGqIxc.png

PArgbmV.jpg

nYVn8d7.png

sRukVk5.png

2BFThpi.jpg

vv2Ie6u.png

PX7oEI4.png

4RPlk0D.png

C4hle1W.jpg

oztls31.jpg

3xArVzM.jpg

Iz9ImUj.jpg

gy0xik6.jpg

Hope you like it.

Hi Maxizzz!

How did you get the heightmaps for the Caribbean? They look identical to ours from our FTP server. I would really love to see your way of making terrain, since we are on the same road.:) Any suggestions or advice are welcome!

And what scale is your world? It looks close to 1:1 or 1:4.

Well done by the way!

Thanks,
John

Never been playing any MMOs, but this looks like worth a try.. I mean it actually looks like the only alternative to POTC build mod.

I would like very much to play Naval Action, but I'm almost certain my computer won't be able to handle it. :(

I would like very much to play Naval Action, but I'm almost certain my computer won't be able to handle it. :(

Well i got i5-4670 with GTX 660 which is kinda low end rig by most standards and with various graphic tweaks i got 33-40 fps on open world, 60 in a battle with 2-5 ships and about ~35-40 in a bigger battle with about 25+ ships.

I could get full 60 fps constantly if i put just a few more settings down, but i dont really have to as fps never goes below 30 with the ones i have now.

Love the sounds and the graphics of the Man'o'war. Ive seen the Battle of Gibraltar from Youtube. Im definately gonna give it a try soon

I hope they add more ship variaties (like in AC Black Flag) and add more immersive battles, animations and effects.

My main thing atm is immersion.

I like the whole PotC and AoP2:CoAS walking around ports, visiting the shipwright, tavern, store etc.. Sailing my ship out of the harbour/port, the battles and boarding. Which is why I also liked PotBS, however I have not played PotBS and I fear that trying to get back into the game and starting from scratch with a free account will not live up to the "good times" I used to have, though the dodgy sailing animals (up and down, unrelated to the waves) got annoying and so did the constant "flat" seas.

Naval Action, the last time I played it a few months ago had a place holder UI for everything including ports. The only part of NA I liked was the physical ship sailing mechanics and battles, I could not get the immersive feeling of open world. I know it is in early access, I'm just looking forward to it pulling me in and making me feel like a ship captain from the time period.

My main thing atm is immersion.

I like the whole PotC and AoP2:CoAS walking around ports, visiting the shipwright, tavern, store etc.. Sailing my ship out of the harbour/port, the battles and boarding. Which is why I also liked PotBS, however I have not played PotBS and I fear that trying to get back into the game and starting from scratch with a free account will not live up to the "good times" I used to have, though the dodgy sailing animals (up and down, unrelated to the waves) got annoying and so did the constant "flat" seas.

Naval Action, the last time I played it a few months ago had a place holder UI for everything including ports. The only part of NA I liked was the physical ship sailing mechanics and battles, I could not get the immersive feeling of open world. I know it is in early access, I'm just looking forward to it pulling me in and making me feel like a ship captain from the time period.

Hear, hear!!

Back