• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Naval Action - Open world multiplayer RPG

Well, way to go to ruin your own game.

I was really interested in buying it once it was cheaper, but after that incident?

Forget it.

Well after the server wipes a month ago, max population in EU server would reach 1100-1200 at the VERY most during primetime.

BEFORE WIPE, it would be well over 2000 and you had to wait an hour or so in waiting line before you could enter server.

TODAY, on primetime you will be lucky if the number hits 700 during weekdays, and 800 during weekends.

(Let's not forget that a big portion of those online are alts)

But generally speaking about politics, it's Danish, Swedish, British VS. one pirate clan.
Spain now lost a great number of players due to switching to Danish after recent losses, so Spain is weaker than a weak grandpa right now.

France and Holland are sitting duck doing nothing exciting.

I was really excited about the game until they started attacking other games. They tried to go after Blackwake... that didn't go over so well. BW is now one of the more popular games on steam with a very high rating, something in the mid 90's. They keep adding new features and game types as quickly as they can and are pushing the game constantly. In contrast, NA hasn't changed in almost a year in any significant way.

Well it has changed in some game mechanics, but not progressive enough to compete with more popular games; and once again.. they aren't spending a dime on advertising so the population is steadily decreasing rather than grow.

According to the forums, they are also planning to shut down the PvE-server one day. After a shitstorm, they changed it to a guaranteed run time from 18-24 months starting from March 2017, and after that, they will revisit their promise.

Even as I was seriously thinking about buying it due to Pirate-game-SP-starvation, that's the final nail in the coffin for me.

Yea these developers are weird minded; their goals 1 year ago were much different today.
They keep changing what they want for this game, and it's been more than 2 years and still Early access.

They should seriously consider selling the game to professionals :D

I admit that since it was put on sale, I bought it.

Only completed the lackluster gunnery-tutorial (Why on earth do I have to demast the enemy ship with tracking shots instead of chain shot?) and hate the UI so far.

Playing more tomorrow.

It's completely changed with this new UI.
If you read latest update, they did plenty of UI changes and expect more glitches & bugs.
I haven't played since 10 months or so but player base is dead I suppose.
Back then there used to be 3 or 4 player servers and 2 PVE servers and each one 500-1000 players full, especially on primetime.

Now the servers have been merged due to reduction in players and you'd be lucky to get 100-150 on primetime.

I used to play it about 2 years ago - was quite fun. Did they ever implement Single Player or a Campaign?

Not at all. They did put a bunch of updates here & there with a tiny update to side missions, but nothing special.
I think to this day I'm still the richest with my 50 million in gold savings :rofl

I understand being hardcore and all, but...

Does the open world really have to be that huge? You literally spend dozens of minutes simply sailing around with nothing at interest happening meanwhile. Just to get from port to port. And you are guaranteed to sail against the wind.

Seriously, where's the fun in that? That's just generating playtime for the sake of it. Pirates of the Burning Sea did it perfectly with it's strongly compressed Carribean.

Last edited:
They assumed the servers would be full at all times, which would make the game much more interesting with a fascinating economy.
They failed at both.
In soccer, don't blame the team, but rather blame the coach!

Okay, Poland is completely screwed as they don't have harbours on the PvE-server, so no nation-shipbuilders for me. You also can't visit foreign ports (Except with a trading ship, but how are you going to get out with a warship afterwards?).

You basically have to beg people to build ships for you.

Of course, you can build them yourself, but it's so ridiculously hard and time-consuming, you basically have to dedicate your life-time to the game. And thus miss out the fun, challenging battles.

Last edited:
Yes that is why if it was a much bigger player base it would be awesome, but lot of players quit/retired.
Back then every crew had their own shipbuilders.
I was a master top level shipbuilder also, but you can't just ask me to make you ship because it needs plenty of resources and materials...

Luckily, if you have a cooperative player of another nation, you can give him your pvp-marks gained through killing npc-ships so you can get a fourth or even third rate for free.

Got myself a Wasa now with the help of the Danish. :D

Although it's weird: You can buy a first rate immediately if you have the money, but you have to level up first to even be able to hire enough crew for it. Now the Bellona and Wasa are gathering dust until I've increased my level. :(

Yes by the time you reach the last level, you will be able to crew Victory, Santisima and other 1st rates.
2nd rates I think the rank before the last should be good.
Nonetheless, you can even crew them at earlier levels but you have to strategize and focus your crew on either sailing, one side cannoning, etc.

As far as I've heard, the DLC-ships mess the PvP-balance up really good to the point of pay 2 win, but as I'm solely playing PvE, they don't concern me.
I'm more angry about the Admirality-DLC, which lets you have more slots for ships, buildings and such, making life for ship builders much easier. Why not for everyone?

Though for all the shit the developers get, I definitely have to give them credit for the combat. Yes, it's hard and the boarding is horrible, so you are likely going to die your first times against the AI. But damn, it's truly satisfying and thrilling to sink an enemy by your superior aiming- and sailing-skills (Having good armour helps, of course) and landing a full broadside with no misses is an impressive achievement.

But I'm actually curious:
Where ships of the line really that fast and maneuverable? 4th rates like the Wapen von Hamburg (Which packs an enormous armament of 76 guns) rival frigates in mobility and even a 3rd rate can catch a small ship when built for speed.

Back