• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Naval Combat Guide

Robert Nutter

Serving Victoria
3D Artist
QA Tester
Provisional
Storm Modder
Ahoy all,

So I've had a digital clear-out and came across my old POTC BM folder. Amongst all the screenshots and mod tools, I came across this; a combat guide. I wrote the majority of it when I was 15, but a lot of it still applies.

I've updated it and it's here in all it's completed glory. Apologies in advance for the blank sections and page cropping...that's OpenOffice's invisible margins at work! Hope it's of use to someone as a foundation guide :onya

DROPBOX - PDF LINK (give a few seconds to load images)

Dropbox - Combat Guide.pdf

Last edited:
While we're on the topic of Build 13, does anyone know where this ship is in the current build? It was my favourite to sail but havn't come across her in B14...I think her model is closely related to the current 5th rate (the old Lineship model).
That is indeed the Lineship model (actually the stock game "Black Pearl") with a British paint scheme of sorts.
Definitely one of the least historically accurate and detailed models we ever had in the game.

When we did our Build 14 ship cleanup, we dropped a lot of sub-standard ships and that skin was one of them.
Mainly because we have approximately 1000 other British skins in the game, the amount became a bit overkill.
The only ones left are the "Lineship1" (former Black Pearl version) and "Lineship47", which we considered to be the most unique and nice-looking of the bunch.

Oh, definitely inaccurate and very low detail...but to sail I think she was pretty fun with her fairly slim hull bristling with guns!

That's fair enough though, the lineships did all look a bit samey and appear too often. I didn't realize there were that many British skins...:eek: And I agree the best ones were kept...it's just me being nostalgic!

Just look in the ship models folder for all the ones starting with RN_ or HMS_; those are all British skins.

How did that happen? Just more modders wanted to do British skins than other nations or a vanilla thing? I'm most curious :)

Last edited:
Most modelers we ever had liked making British stuff. So we got dozens of those.
But only one modeler dis a lot of non British ones.
You'll find that a LOT in this genre trends to be VERY England centric.

We've been trying to even that out in the mod and have succeeded in many ways.
It isn't fully evenly balanced, but at least most other nations have a respectable amount of custom content too.

That's good, yes I noticed that too. It's great for someone like me, but must be fairly frustrating if you're not British...:bonaparte

Well my Demologos model is American and I want the Steam Gunboat to have a French skin so I'm hoping to help reverse that trend.

I don't specifically object to it, but I figure it is better still if all nations get a fair deal.
But I like English navy stuff a lot myself. Especially Hornblower! :cheeky

Borrow and steal away, mate it'd be an honour :) To be honest I'm not sure it's up to scratch for a Thagarr-brand manual but if you're confident it has a use, it's yours! I can fill it out more for you if need be?

Last edited:
Thanks mate! If you have time to update it, that would certainly help, but there is really no hurry. What you have posted so far will help save me some time writing up a basic tactics section as is.

Pieter is used to me borrowing his stuff, so I don't even bother asking him anymore. He has made some great contributions to the new manual! :wp

No worries, whatever help I can be! I'll tell you what, give me a few days and I'll get a more refined version over to you with the missing sections filled in; that way you can copy and paste at will without worrying about 'flow' or my 15-yo self's spelling and grammar errors! I'll also include a few screenies, unless you'd prefer to take charge with that for consistency? I only ever meant for it to be a foundation guide anyway, so I hope it's of use to your manual! :sail

Last edited:
Absolutely it will be of use, I'll wait till you update it to add it then, pics will save me even more time. :onya

The manual will have basic information, background and point out some differences with the original game. Some info from the Wiki pages are gonna be in there as well. I am probably going to try and stuff to much in there, but it can always be cut.

I'll PM you an updated .doc version tomorrow and stick it up here too, then! :onya

I feel like I may be putting my finger into too many pies here, but I always enjoyed putting this kind of thing into words so any help I can be to the manual.... :checklist

No need to rush mate, take your time. Modding is a great hobby, especially here at PA! Just keep a couple things in mind, don't take on more than you have the time and inclination to handle, and pace yourself! We have been here for over 12 years, we aint going anywhere. :aar

Just in case you didn't have them, attached are some old Feature List files I still had lying around.

I also have a "POTC-NH_ Book.doc" that somebody else did once, but I'm not sure if it would be very useful and is too large to attach here.
It seems to contain a fair bit of stuff that refers to CoAS rather than PotC.
Other than that, it has some odd lists of abilities and weapons, but those aren't correct, nor up-to-date.
So probably better to refer to the game files and/or the Wiki for those....

Attachments

• Build_Mod_Features.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 175
Of course, but it's all such a pleasure! Besides, time and inclination are two things I'm very happy to spend here mate. After 8 years working in an industry I hated, it's so lovely to finally be enjoying what I want to spend my life doing (modelling) :)

@Robert Nutter, I have been adding your Combat Guide to the manual and ran in to a bit of a problem. On page 9, just before the Boarding section, there is this text where i assume there is supposed to be a picture :

[image of can't sail to warning]

When you get the chance, could you please post the picture you had intended to use.

Back