• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Naval officer promotion rewards

Joer

Powder Monkey
If you go with the career option of Naval Officer, you get different ships awarded when you attain a certain rank. I'm personally a big fan of this type of gameplay and want to tingle a bit with it. Does anybody know in which file I can find and change the ships you are awarded at each different rank? Would be a big help ;)

The file is PROGRAM\NK.c, just search for "reward" and you should find it in no-time.

What exactly do you want to change and why?
If they're good changes, we could consider adding them to the main mod too. :doff

My main beef is that at rank 5 in the Colonial Powers era as a British naval officer, you get the 38-gun HMS Unicorn (Lyme Class Frigate). At rank 6 in the same era and as a British naval officer, you get the 32-gun HMS Surprise (Advanced Frigate). Going from 38 guns to 32 guns when being promoted doesn't make much sense to me. If they were reversed, now that I could understand. Or give rank5 a smaller vessel.

At rank 5 you get the 38-gun Lyme class frigate. That's 38 guns of 9lb. You have a maximum crew of 200 and the ship has 2500 HP.

At rank 6 you get the 32 gun Advanced Frigate. That's 32 guns of 12lb. You have a maximum crew of 300 and the ship has 5000 HP.

Still think they're the wrong way round? ;)

So to put it in perspective you'll get a ship which has less guns but has way better construction and more room for your men .... that does sound reasonable to me :).

Putting it like that, it does make a lot more sense.

But isn't 200 men to man a 38 gun ship not a bit too low? From my own research, I recall that 38 gun frigates often had around 240-260 men on board.

Yes, you're probably right. The problem is that the Lyme class frigate shouldn't have 38 guns. 24 is more like it. The real HMS Unicorn had 24 guns of 9lb and a crew of 160 originally, which was expanded over the years and ended up at 200. However, that's what we've got. It fits into the career progression neatly between the 6th rate frigate you get at rank 4 and the Advanced Frigate you get at rank 6.

Back