• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Need help with engine crash on windows 8

mr_smee

Landlubber
Hi Guys!

I'm new here and realy need your help. I just have bought the Pirates and caribbean pc game with CD's. I installed it outside my program files, but still in de C folder. But when i start a new game. The engine crashes... I downloaded the The Application Compatibility Toolkit (http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-7-922313) but when i look in the list, I don't see the Pirates of the Caribbean fix :(

I know there are a lot of smart dudes here :)
So please can someone help me?

I have a MSI Laptop,
Proscessor: intel core i7 3630QM CPU 2.4ghz
Systeem: 64 bit
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

try running it in compatebility mode (this is still present in w8 right?).

try running it in compatebility mode (this is still present in w8 right?).
It is, though in my experience it doesn't seem to make any difference to this game (but the game runs fine anyway, for me).
Mr_smee's problem appeared to be that his Intel card was being used instead of his Nvidia card though, so it shouldn't matter.

I did actually have to set up PotC in compatibility mode on my Windows 7 computer.
The game does work fine, but for some reason sometimes it would open in windowed mode halfway outside the screen.
But it works fine in compatibility. :shrug

Very strange. :confused: At least it sometimes has its uses, then.

Actually, I STILL have that problem when running game versions from my external HD because they are NOT set up to use the compatibility mode.
It seems to happen if the game drops off of the "Windows foreground" while the splash screen is showing. Strange indeed!

I sugest enabeling the option "Disable desktop composition" in the compatability settings.
I also sometimes have a problem when I alt-tab from the game at the very start. but thats just having a bit of patience untill you are in the menu before you do that.

Is the main problem solved already?

Sorry for reviving this thread. I've had POTC New Horizons installed since few years back. Now I have a new laptop with windows 8.1 and my game crashes while loading a new game. I've played this for a long time so I know the crash fixes. I have a Nvidia card so I set engine.exe to use the high-performance Nvidia processor but it still crashes. The only fix that I haven't done yet is using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, which worked for me before. But when I search for POTC in the toolkit, it's not in the list. That's very strange, since it used to be here before when I installed the game back then..

Do you have an error.log in your potc folder?

Uhm when and where does it crash? Because when I installed it again a few months ago, I thought that PotC crashed, since my laptop always said "PotC doesnt work anymore" since it doesnt react anymore.. but then I noticed that I just had to wait until the game was finished with loading:facepalm

Really? Well I'll try to wait it out then. I don't have error.log, but here are the others. I'm quite sure that it would work using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, but the problem is, POTC is now missing in the supported applications of the toolkit.

Edit: Waiting it out didn't seem to work. After the error "POTC has stopped working", the only option is "Close the Program" :(

Attachments

• compile.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 165
  • system.log
    375 bytes · Views: 173
Last edited:
No error.log, is there? It crashes as soon as it reaches the weather.
That makes me suspect that the game is trying to run from an Intel video card, which never works properly.
Do you have two video cards? You may need to do some more work to convince the game to use the NVIDIA one.
You can also install the Intel Fix to check if that makes a difference and confirm if that is indeed the issue.

No error log. Yes, I have an integrated Intel card and a dedicated Nvidia card. Alright, if it runs with the intel fix, then that is the problem?

Edit: The Intel fix did work. Thanks! :) Now I gotta find a better way for the game to use my Nvidia card..

Edit2: How do I uninstall the Intel fix? Is overwritting it with an update install with the Intel fix box unticked gonna be enough?

Last edited:
There is a uninstaller for the Intel fix in the potc folder

There should be an uninstaller EXE for the Intel Fix in your main game folder now that you can use for that.

Edit: As @Hylie Pistof would say..... Ninja'd! :ninja

Back