• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Need help with engine crash on windows 8

Deactivating the internal GU is not thaaat good idea^^ And deactivating in the BIOS not at all^^ Remember, that this card is your VGA-Graphics in case your nVidia Display Driver goes anarchy.. then your display will be black^^
But I can't think of any reason why nVidia control panel would not allow a specific process to run with the nVidia GU.. could you please upload a screenshot from your nVidia control panel settings?

W7 and 8.1 have the same kernel design so they are compatible, it's not reccomended tough.
Seems that the nvidia driver for windows 7 and 8 that could be downloaded is one and the same.

Deactivating the internal GU is not thaaat good idea^^ And deactivating in the BIOS not at all^^ Remember, that this card is your VGA-Graphics in case your nVidia Display Driver goes anarchy.. then your display will be black^^
But I can't think of any reason why nVidia control panel would not allow a specific process to run with the nVidia GU.. could you please upload a screenshot from your nVidia control panel settings?
Here it is.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 152
Hmm strange.. there's no reason for nVidia to NOT use the nvidia card.. and I don't think that it has anything to do with Win8 ..

I don't use it - PotC ran fine both on Win7 and Win8 (though I am using Win7 now again for other reasons). Can you give me a quick summarize about your nVidia Stuff? GPU, Driver Version, Controlpanel Version etc.

It has been years since I used nvidia but POTC has never been on any list. I used another game completely that happened to work for POTC. Can't remember what the name was now, but it was at the top of the list.

@Hylie Uhm, I didn't exactly get what you said.. The list I was referring to was in the Application Compatibility Toolkit listed in the FAQ. I'm sure that PotC was there before because I used it in my old laptop, but now it's gone from the list.

@Pillat My laptop has Nvidia Geforce 840M card, driver version 344.75 (the latest ones seem to break some of my games), Nvidia control panel version 8.0.800.0.

Hmm strange.. I have a GT635M, and exactly the same versions.. and my Laptop does what he should do, it uses the nVidia card, just as I setted (the same way like you did) .. hmm you could test if PotC runs with the nVidia GPU by activating the control-interface in the control panel -> Desktop -> show GPU Activity in Info (something like that, I am german and don't know how they actually wrote that in english^^). There should be a grey square in your info tray (there, where your clock is^^) .. if it is filled with color at any time, it means that some process runs on your GPU at the moment.. you could try to run PotC and look, if nVidia really doesn't select the GPU at all

That's very strange, the GPU Activity Icon fills up with color when I open all my other games, but it is always greyed out when I open PotC.. I think the problem is because in the PotC config.exe, the Display Device option is locked to Primary Display Driver, and I can't change it to use the Nvidia GPU. Would you know why that option in config.exe is locked?..

You can open engine.ini and see if there is anything in there about the display driver.
Config.exe is only a simple tool that edit engine.ini and editing directly allows much more freedom.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do but I can't seem to find any references in engine.exe regarding the display driver..
EDIT: What display driver is shown in your config.exe anyway Pieter?

Well my display device is also the primary display driver, which should be the nVidia for you :modding.

Did you already tried to change your global setting to the nVidia Card?

@Pillat Game works fine with the Intel fix but I would prefer not to use that.
@Hylie I can't seem to find Cossacks II in the list of nvidia applications..

Well but you installed the Intel Fix? Perhaps that prevents the nVidia GPU from processing it.. try to uninstall it and then check, if your GPU still doesn't want to

EDIT: Just looked around a bit in the internet.. seems that some people have those problems, and can't convince certain games to use the dedicated GPU.. you can try to force it by adding a command for the .exe .. though I didn't found the command itself :D

No I've already installed it before and reinstalled without the fix. Anyway, with the Intel fix installed, whether I choose the nvidia gpu in the control panel or not, the game works fine, but not without the intel fix :(

I hope a command like that does exist..

I have been doing a bit of digging around online, trying to find an answer. This issue is certainly not limited to just this game, there seems to be a major issue with certain other games as well. One of which is Portal. There are two options I was able to track down that actually fixed this in Portal, one was a set of command line arguments that probably will not work in this case.

Code:
-force_vendor_id 0x10DE -force_device_id 0x1180 -dxlevel 95

Those are probably specific to the Portal engine, but I posted them here anyway for the vendor and device ID's may be useful at some point.

The second solution seems to work much better, and that is to disable Windows 8 Secure Boot. I really have no clue why this would effect the game not choosing the correct video card, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time Microsoft's "security features" prevented the game from running. You can follow the steps HERE to test it and see if it has any effect. I don't have Windows 8, so I can't help much there.

Back