• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need some help reguarding the P.I.R.A.T.E.S. system

Jesus

Landlubber
I just started playing this game and I am quite confused on how the P.I.R.A.T.E.S. system works. My character is now a level 8 and I still have yet to be able to rais my attributes. My starting authority is only at 4 and I can't figure out how to change it. Don't you get points to add for each level you gain?

Somebody help please.

Your attributes don't change with the exception of the one quest where you can add a single point to any one attibute of your choice.

The way to be come powerful is via the personal and ship perks.

That makes your starting allocations all the more important.

Any skill that you have will raise up as you use it regardless of your attribute allocations.

Most folks tend to focus on the attributes that involve personal combat, namely, Power, Reaction and Endurance... however, Talent is important too as it helps you get your perks faster.

Authority will govern how many officers you can have.

Generally speaking, it's those types of things that mold your decisions rather than starting skill values or how fast they are raised (exception being Talent).

Your attributes don't change with the exception of the one quest where you can add a single point to any one attibute of your choice.

The way to be come powerful is via the personal and ship perks.

That makes your starting allocations all the more important.

Any skill that you have will raise up as you use it regardless of your attribute allocations.

Most folks tend to focus on the attributes that involve personal combat, namely, Power, Reaction and Endurance... however, Talent is important too as it helps you get your perks faster.

Authority will govern how many officers you can have.

Generally speaking, it's those types of things that mold your decisions rather than starting skill values or how fast they are raised (exception being Talent).

So I am doomed to have authority lvl 4 for the entire course of the game?

You can alway's edit a file which will allow you to allicate points to any of the characters you choose the down side is you need to start a new game before it will work. If you are interested in doing this then simply head over to Age of Pirates 2\Program\characters in the main directory ie C drive and open a file called RPGUtilite and search for the following ch.Skill.FreeSPECIAL and change the value thats after = to 28 and save the file, start a new game and now you can max out all those personal skills to 10.

Not sure if this is the same as Vista but with XP when you open a file you can press F3 key to open a seach box which will allow you to search the file for something spacific, enter ch.Skill.FreeSPECIAL into the box and click search, you should find the line of code quickly that way and then add the 28 after the = so it will read ch.Skill.FreeSPECIAL = 28.

Hope that helps.

So I am doomed to have authority lvl 4 for the entire course of the game?

Actually you don't need even those 4 points of authority. The min of 3 is more then enough. The only real need of the authority is the ability to hire more generic officers (authority x2). You need 7 officers at most and it looks like you really need 4 authority... but the quest officers don't count against the authority and you will be able to take several quest officers so the min value of 3 authority is more then enough.
The most important skill is talent. You need talent at least of 8 to be able to get all the personal skills. If you put more then 8 you will be able to raise your skills and your levels faster. Actually even talent of 7 may be enough but can depends on your other stats (too long to explain)
The Success stat can be put on min (3) too. Your actual luck doesn't depend on this but on the personal skill "luck" and it quickly will go over 50% with the help of some items.
Extremely important skill is Reaction. It governs your stamina. No stamina = bad.
Power and Endurance are extremely important too. They govern your health points and you how much you can carry. They both do matter for both stats but I forgot which was more important for which. You may experiment with new char to check it.

You can alway's edit a file which will allow you to allicate points to any of the characters you choose the down side is you need to start a new game before it will work. If you are interested in doing this then simply head over to Age of Pirates 2\Program\characters in the main directory ie C drive and open a file called RPGUtilite and search for the following ch.Skill.FreeSPECIAL and change the value thats after = to 28 and save the file, start a new game and now you can max out all those personal skills to 10.

Not sure if this is the same as Vista but with XP when you open a file you can press F3 key to open a seach box which will allow you to search the file for something spacific, enter ch.Skill.FreeSPECIAL into the box and click search, you should find the line of code quickly that way and then add the 28 after the = so it will read ch.Skill.FreeSPECIAL = 28.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I would recommend that you do this. If you play the game for a while, you'll find that officers have many more points allocated in their stats than you are allowed. Maxing out everything is just cheating, but I consider giving yourself an extra 7 or 14 points a perfectly good way to make the game a bit more fair.
Also, what Handel said. Max out Talent and Reaction regardless of anything else.

Back