• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Neptunus Privateer

Ok, I got one! Neptunus2 to be exact. And I have some questions and opinions.

Rey_a4 does have the reverse lighting bug and it is noticeable. It should be fixed because this ship is going to make some brigs obsolete.

The spar above it, rey_b4, does not move causing the mizzen sail to twist. Is that intentional?

There are some control ropes going through sails. This bugs me and it just can not be right. Any suggestions on alternate routing?

She has pennants now and I am taming the mainsails.
Strange to hear it about the rey_a4. It works OK in COAS. Maybe the "-1" in the XX parameter of the locator is missing? I can export the rey_a4 with flipped normals if this would help.
Yes, the rey_b4 does not move, but it is not my fault, it's an animation bug. It won't move, because there is no sail attached to it. If you have any suggestion how to fix this, I would be grateful. I have only one idea how to fix that. I'm going to attach the rey_b4 locator to the rey_c4 instead of the mast4 or even export the both yard as one piece
As for the roping going through the sails, it is weakness of the game engine, again. I've made all the roping according to historical plans of an early 18th century frigate and I don't know exactly how to make this bug to disappear and leave it to look realistic.

The xx -1 is there. Whether you can see the reverse lighting bug depends on the lighting. It is very obvious on a moonlit night, but often you can't see it at all during the day.

About rey_b4, you can do as you say and model the two spars together or I can try to put a minisail inside of the rey_b4. It might be too small for that trick to work though.

I thought you followed some plans. I will continue working on getting the sails to behave, but some ropes just can't be right, like the ones going through the mizzen sail.

I have only one idea how to fix that. I'm going to attach the rey_b4 locator to the rey_c4 instead of the mast4 or even export the both yard as one piece
Either of those solutions would work nicely, mate. :onya

Still working on sails and I'm nearly there. The walk file needs some work. It's ok on deck but up in the rigging, especially for the foremast, it isn't quite right.

Added a 1.01 version of Neptunus. It has improved roping and mizzen spar rotates with the sail.
NP13.jpg

NP14.jpg

Neprunus Privateer 1.01

Ah, it is good to see you have been busy. :onya

I WAS just about done with getting her POTC ready. Back to ye olde drawing boarde.....

I found out after renaming textures and hex editing GMs that all 3 versions use the same textures, but with different names, so they all look alike. :facepalm So any future painters should be aware of this.

Ah, it is good to see you have been busy. :onya

I WAS just about done with getting her POTC ready. Back to ye olde drawing boarde.....

I found out after renaming textures and hex editing GMs that all 3 versions use the same textures, but with different names, so they all look alike. :facepalm So any future painters should be aware of this.

If you mean the "glass.tga" and "metal.tga", that was done intentionally. I'm planning to do the cabin interior and transparent windows in future. And then the "glass.tga" will become different from "metal.tga", because it will use alpha-channel and there will be transparent regions.
But I understand the problem and will try to avoid this in my future projects.

Err, no.

I did not rename Glass.tga or metal.tga. I did rename

plank.tga
path.tga
Wood_Grain_black.tga
Wood_Grain_blue.tga
Wood_Grain_Red.tga
wood.tga

POTC puts all .tga files into one big folder, so they need to be renamed for a specific ship. That is how we have 13 different light frigates.

I currently have Neptunus 2 and 3 in my fleet and can not see any differences. That screenie above is Neptunus 3. :shrug

Err, no.

I did not rename Glass.tga or metal.tga. I did rename

plank.tga
path.tga
Wood_Grain_black.tga
Wood_Grain_blue.tga
Wood_Grain_Red.tga
wood.tga

POTC puts all .tga files into one big folder, so they need to be renamed for a specific ship. That is how we have 13 different light frigates.

I currently have Neptunus 2 and 3 in my fleet and can not see any differences. That screenie above is Neptunus 3. :shrug

Sorry, that was my mistake. Just uploaded an archive with three different skins for the Neptunus. Here's the link:

Neptunus v1.02

Thanks! :onya

Are you ok with what I've done to the sails? I could not get the mainsails to quit billowing out so far, so had to trim the stays and jibs.

EDIT: Here is Neptunus 3 in her proper colors. Now to add the latest updates to the other two and she is done for now.

Thanks! :onya

Are you ok with what I've done to the sails? I could not get the mainsails to quit billowing out so far, so had to trim the stays and jibs.

EDIT: Here is Neptunus 3 in her proper colors. Now to add the latest updates to the other two and she is done for now.

Here's a sort of mistake with the hull textures. Here are the screens showing how the other two textures look in COAS:

NP15.jpg

NP16.jpg

Hey! Who bent your jib? :eek:k

Neptunus 2 is ok, so the Neptunus 3 is the one to look at. It's probably my hex editing.

EDIT: It was my hex editing. All 3 ships are good to go now.

The POTC version of the Neptunus is on the FTP in my folder, in the "after patch 7" folder. :cheers

Easy easy........A simple :warr will do. Besides, there is still more to do judging by Rider88s screenies.

Anyway, she still needs a better walk file and the spanker gaff has the reverse lighting bug.

Hey! Who bent your jib? :eek:k

:) It's just my own version of the rigging, not for release. The spanker is different too. I think it is closer to 17th century style.

Easy easy........A simple :warr will do. Besides, there is still more to do judging by Rider88s screenies.

Anyway, she still needs a better walk file and the spanker gaff has the reverse lighting bug.

I'll redo the walk file in close future but I don't know how to fix the reverse lighting bug. The gaff works perfectly in COAS. Should I give you a flipped version of the gaff, different from COAS?

I've just tried her in my game and she's another absolute beauty; it's a pleasure to have her in there! :woot

At the moment, it appears she's set to be available equally to all nations. How about some nation coding again?
My suggestion:
Neptunus1 - Seems to have a similar colour scheme to the Boussole, so perhaps French.
Neptunus2 - The red colour could make her fit in with the Spanish ships.
Neptunus3 - There's some green on her stern, so she could be Dutch I suppose. For that purpose though, I'd prefer if the gray were replaced with my brown and gold like on the other Dutch ships we've got.

I do like the Neptunus1 skin the most though. Seems to me though that the FR_Boussole, Poseidon (PO_Poseidon) and Neptunus1 seem to have a similar colour scheme and in my mind therefore should all be French.
That doesn't make much sense for the Poseidon though, since there's already the FR_Fleuron with a different colour scheme. I could personally see the FR_Fleuron being used for the Spanish though, but I can understand if people disagree with that notion.

Rider88: Whatever you did to the gaff on the Lyon Hoy needs to be done here as well. I sailed this ship every day and didn't notice it until I thought I was all done. The walk file is ok on the deck and just needs some fine tuning up in the rigging.

You are doing a lot of work on this ship and this is greatly appreciated. :bow

I set her up as a generic ship rigged heavy brig. That is as close as I could get to a sloop of war. So both her nationality and time frame needs to be adjusted. She was a Dutch privateer...........

Possibly sailing stats need adjusting also. Compared to the old ones she has 6 less cannon and quite a bit more cargo capacity. How would that affect her sailing?

Possibly sailing stats need adjusting also. Compared to the old ones she has 6 less cannon and quite a bit more cargo capacity. How would that affect her sailing?
Not sure if you directed this to Rider88 or someone else, but heres my take on it:
Less guns mean less weight, so she should probably be faster than the ship-rigged heavy brig, though inrcreased cargo capacity would indicate fuller lines and thus less speed... :shrug However, this would only true if the ships are of the same dimensions. The Neptunus seems to have fine lines, and considering she was designed as a privateer, I think she should be the faster of the two. :onya

Back