• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New character models for "Hoist The Colours"

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
That script brings up something else I'm working on.
Personally I want the following in a prequel:
- Captain Jack Sparrow
- Cutler Beckett
- Annamaria
- Barbossa
There's a slight problem, specifically one 'n' too many. ;)
Anamaria (Character)
Anamaria

I may go through at least the dialogs and the character's name to correct that, though I'll leave character ID and filenames alone. And since pretty well everyone else who appeared in the film have their own character models, several of them with less significance to the storyline, Anamaria is going to get one as well.

Last edited:
There's a slight problem, specifically one 'n' too many. ;P
Anamaria (Character)
Anamaria
Being Dutch, the spelling "Anamaria" always looked very strange to me. That is the main reason I changed it to "Annamaria".
I used to care at the time, but not anymore. Feel free to change it. :doff

And since pretty well everyone else who appeared in the film have their own character models, several of them with less significance to the storyline, Anamaria is going to get one as well.
Niiiice!!! :woot

I know I am getting carried away here, so you're very welcome to ignore all words that follow. ;)

Back in the days, we had this thread of custom character models that we should ideally have:
http://piratesahoy.net/threads/tales-of-jack-sparrow-storyline-update-cotbp-dmc-awe.13244/
A lot of them were completed (most recently some of them by @Jack Rackham), but not all of them.
Most relevant ones are these, I reckon:

- Gentleman Jocard, Pirate Lord of the Atlantic Ocean - "Free the Slaves" sidequest (currently: "blackman")
- Ammand the Corsair, Pirate Lord of the Black Sea - "Help the Church" sidequest (currently: "couchcaptaincharles")
- Bos'un, Gentleman Jocard sidequest ["You will speak only when spoken to"]
- Mr. Mercer, "Sao Feng's Missing Bodyguards" sidequest (currently: "Corsair1")

- Bootstrap Bill Turner [non-fishy (& fishy?)]

Curse of the Black Pearl:
- Elizabeth Swann [Pants]
- Mr. Cotton (Thomas the Terror)
- Marty
- Barbossa [skeleton]

Low Priority
- Jack Sparrow [A cleric of the church of England]

So if you and/or @Jack Rackham feel any inspiration boiling up, feel free to not resist to that. ;)

Being Dutch, the spelling "Anamaria" always looked very strange to me. That is the main reason I changed it to "Annamaria".
I used to care at the time, but not anymore. Feel free to change it. :doff
Let that be a lesson - don't assume everyone spells the same way the Dutch do. :p I'm going to guess that Anamaria is Portuguese because "Ana" is perfectly valid there. In fact, there's a real Ana-Maria where I work. She doesn't look anything like the film character, and anyway photographing someone at work to use the picture in a game would probably not be a good idea. xD

I know I am getting carried away here, so you're very welcome to ignore all words that follow. ;)

Back in the days, we had this thread of custom character models that we should ideally have:
http://piratesahoy.net/threads/tales-of-jack-sparrow-storyline-update-cotbp-dmc-awe.13244/
A lot of them were completed (most recently some of them by @Jack Rackham), but not all of them.
Most relevant ones are these, I reckon:

- Gentleman Jocard, Pirate Lord of the Atlantic Ocean - "Free the Slaves" sidequest (currently: "blackman")
- Ammand the Corsair, Pirate Lord of the Black Sea - "Help the Church" sidequest (currently: "couchcaptaincharles")
- Bos'un, Gentleman Jocard sidequest ["You will speak only when spoken to"]
- Mr. Mercer, "Sao Feng's Missing Bodyguards" sidequest (currently: "Corsair1")

- Bootstrap Bill Turner [non-fishy (& fishy?)]

Curse of the Black Pearl:
- Elizabeth Swann [Pants]
- Mr. Cotton (Thomas the Terror)
- Marty
- Barbossa [skeleton]
Elizabeth Swann in trousers and tricorn hat is already done. She's no use for the "Hoist the Colours" storyline. I already considered that, tried to figure out where to change Miss Swann from dress to pirate outfit, and concluded that there isn't anywhere appropriate - she's still in a dress when she's in the cave on Isla de Muerte, which means she'd be in a dress after being marooned with Jack Sparrow, and she's certainly in a dress for the trial scene. But trousered Elizabeth is available as a free-play character and you'll also see her if you do the "Silver Train" sidequest. (Incidentally, in English English, as opposed to American English, "pants" isn't trousers. It's one level down, so to speak. Elizabeth Swann in pants may be an interesting project but is not relevant to the storyline. :D)

Costumes for Jocard and Ammand are beyond my ability, especially the hats. Most of the others have too little time in the game to be worth much effort. By contrast, Anamaria is of major significance to the main story and is relatively easy, being basically a new face on "50_India" and some recolouring of the belt and trousers.

I've gone through all text files - dialog.h files, questbooks, in fact pretty well anything shown by a Windows search on "Annamaria" that wasn't a code file - and changed it to "Anamaria". Quest cases, filenames and character ID remain with the old spelling so as not to foul up the working of the game.

Here's a comparison of the new game model and the real character:
anamaria_game2.jpg anamaria1.jpg
As well as using this for the storyline, Anamaria becomes a playable character, the result of adding her to "initModels.c". You can see her ship in the background. Not the pretty schooner-xebec, the other one - playing as Anamaria is going to be challenging if you accept the default vessel...

There's an Annamaria using the same "Danblack" model as the storyline character, who appears routinely as part of "Tortuga fun". I figured that's supposed to be Anamaria, so she's been changed as well, which means you'll have the opportunity to be slapped in the face by this lass whichever story you're playing.

I've gone through all text files - dialog.h files, questbooks, in fact pretty well anything shown by a Windows search on "Annamaria" that wasn't a code file - and changed it to "Anamaria". Quest cases, filenames and character ID remain with the old spelling so as not to foul up the working of the game.
:onya

Here's a comparison of the new game model and the real character:
She truly resembles her movie counterpart! Very cool. :woot

As well as using this for the storyline, Anamaria becomes a playable character, the result of adding her to "initModels.c". You can see her ship in the background. Not the pretty schooner-xebec, the other one - playing as Anamaria is going to be challenging if you accept the default vessel...
Yep, the "Jolly Mon" IS indeed canonically Anamaria's "ship"! :rofl

There's an Annamaria using the same "Danblack" model as the storyline character, who appears routinely as part of "Tortuga fun". I figured that's supposed to be Anamaria, so she's been changed as well, which means you'll have the opportunity to be slapped in the face by this lass whichever story you're playing.
That is indeed supposed to be the same Anamaria. The other two ladies (Giselle and Scarlett) are from the first (and third) PotC film too.

If everything is as it should be, then these characters are NOT used in the Hoist the Colour storyline.
Don't want to have the same character appearing twice. ;)

I like the dirty skirt the, belt etc but is there no female head with long hair that could be used?

I'm not that good at mixing heads and bodies. The only reason I did this in the first place is that it's a simple retexture of one of the "Danielle" variants. Incidentally, when I import a photo to use for someone's face, it often ends up distorted as it's pasted onto the model and looks less like the original. Which means even if I do find a different head, Anamaria would likely end up with more accurate hair and less accurate face.

Here they are.

Attachments

• Anamaria_gm.zip
    52.7 KB · Views: 306
  • h_Anamaria_gm.zip
    28 KB · Views: 279
  • Anamaria_tga_tx.zip
    116.3 KB · Views: 278
This is what I did:
moved your texture so I could use the 33_TG5D.gm or (Teresa Moreno) as a base. Because that model has more hair visible.
Added extra hair to the sides of the face.
Added a pistol.
Made some minor plastic surgery to her nose and lips to make her look a little more african.
Simulated a collar in the texture.

Attachments

• Anamaria.jpg
    Anamaria.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 1,733
The pistol should not be necessary. If the character has a pistol, it will appear in the usual place, perhaps not where she's wearing it in one particular screenshot but then that's probably true of every film-based character.

The wider nose is probably a good idea, but the lips should perhaps not have changed. Zoe Saldana, the actress who plays Anamaria, does not have especially thick lips.

I'll have to look at the model, either using TOOL or playing the character and getting her into different lighting conditions, but judging by that screenshot, there's a peculiar shading effect around the lower face. She appears to have a double chin!

But if you've managed to get the blouse to match on the upper and lower halves then that would be a big help. I tried doing a variant based on an unmodified 33_TG5D model myself and could not get them to match up.

You're right about the double chin. That was easy fixed.

It's not so much thicker lips. I think the proportion between the width of the nose
and the mouth is right in my model. Compare with the screenshot you uploaded.

Sure you don't want the pistol? I think it looks rather good there.

Attachments

• anamaria face.jpg
    anamaria face.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 420
  • anamaria_body.jpg
    anamaria_body.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 437
Sure you don't want the pistol? I think it looks rather good there.
Personally, I kind-of like it being there.
But of course it isn't functional and, if she has an actual gun, she'd be shown having two of them.

Unless you apply the whole "musket" trick and do some swapping around.
That sounds like overkill though; not worth the effort. :wp

I took quite a while getting the mouth to the correct proportion to match screenshots of Zoe Saldana both as herself and as Anamaria. The mouth definitely looks too wide in the new model - it's about what I had after I pasted and resized the face from one of the photos onto the original texture file and before I compensated for the slight distortion caused when the texture is applied to the model.

There's no point in having a pistol as part of the texture; it looks wrong if the character either isn't carrying that type of pistol or isn't carrying one at all. If the locator for the pistol could be moved to that point then it might work, though that would probably then look wrong when she draws it.

Attached are another photo of Anamaria, one of the actress not playing any part, and a development shot of my version based on a 33_TG5D model variant. I still think that if the blouse were properly matched between upper and lower body models, that would be the closest representation so far.

Attachments

• anamaria2.jpg
    anamaria2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 705
  • zoe_saldana1.jpg
    zoe_saldana1.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 436
  • anamaria_face_version2.jpg
    anamaria_face_version2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 397
@Jack Rackham: Though I prefer my own texture (with your collar added), I definitely like your model. Not just for Anamaria, either - it could be given other textures and used for other models in the future.

But there seems to be a bit of a problem with the new model when I let TOOL run through its animation sequence. Normal walking is alright, but jumping, swimming or sitting are a bit dodgy:
animation1.jpg animation2.jpg animation3.jpg

Any chance of fixing this? If so, the model is going into the next update.

Back