• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

NEW Development Trailer?

It isn't actually even a ship.

But my point is that with an experienced modeler focusing on just that one vessel, it shouldn't take anywhere near as long as usual.

How do we stand on being able to do this? What good content do we have that we can show off at this time?

Here are some thoughts:
- Jamaica island model with details added by @RobinPC
- Tavern (with interior) by @SinKing
- Trailer Music as being worked on by @Flannery (how is that going, by the way?)
- Latest version of St. Albans by @Wedori (is it possible to have this with working sails and flags as well? Even if they are imperfect placeholders?)
- Lyon Hoy (just to show something different as well)
- Animated Flintlock pistol and Openable Chest by @Giony
- Harbour Scene and Barrels by @Wedori
- Cressets and Street Scale by @SuperChango (are those textured and in the engine yet?)
- Campfire by @Giony and @Trunks518
- Opening Gunport Lids by @Wedori and @Captain Murphy
- Firing Cannons and Simple Damage Model by @Captain Murphy
- Actually moving ships by @Captain Murphy (even if this is done in the simple behind-the-scenes method as shown in the Development Videos)

As I said before, it does not have to be perfect. But I do reckon we've got quite a bit of content to work from there.
And it would definitely help us a lot to have a short summary of what we have that we can use everywhere for promotional purposes.

Plus... I'm really excited to just see it all coming together like that! :cheers

Last edited:
Well we were working on it but put everything on temp hold for the development thing.

Thisll prolly become priority by next week. Then Isaak will resume, then Noelle, and then we'll go back and do all the revamp stuff.

Noelle's writing should FLY because it's so Dependant on Isaak's. So this will all be accelerating quickly if we can avoid any more road blocks.

You were going to make an individual "storyline trailer", right? I'm not sure how to incorporate that into a "current development trailer".
Only way I can think of is by making a lot of use of artwork and not relying too much on in-game content for that one.

XD lolololol

Wrong thread. Sorry mate I didn't see where this was lol

- Trailer Music as being worked on by @Flannery (how is that going, by the way?)

If you are referring to the 2-3 min trailer music piece - it is done.

If you are referring to the longer Dev Trailer piece - I really need to see some footage to make it work, as I have no Idea at all what the Dev Trailer will consist of.
I have allot of material that can be used, but to nail it - I need to see what the thoughts for the Dev Video is in general.
Are we looking at someone talking and explaining? Or is it all text? - Will it be directed in some way or more still clips of what we have done so far?
This will also affect what type of music is best suited for it.

I don not know why, but I have this vision in my head for it - And I will just share it, and if not usable in anyway, just disregard it :)
What I vision inside my head is a setting where you stage a few ships sailing , and "film" fly by's and so on, to show details and motion.
The main and most important thing is to not keep the camera still, but in some way moving at all times as this tricks the eyes and the brain to feel more part of what happens.
Stage the ships to maybe fire at each other at some point - have some land, and land based objects as well - to keep it interesting.
Film from beneath the decks if possible while cannons fire.

Change the time of day as well to add diversity of what happens on the screen for the viewer.

Even if it is a "Walk through" of all the things done so far, you can still apply all these things I have mentioned - especially keeping the camera moving or zooming at all times in some way or another - even if it is just barely noticeable.

F.ex:
Just imagine how a amateur video looses all intensity and dramatic effect if it is just sat still on some place filming what could be the most awesome concert of all time...
There is a reason why film crews are used, cause they know how to use these tricks to lure our minds to feel like we are there.

When we are at a concert ourselves, our eyes actually does the same - as we seldom keep our eyes motion less, and fixed on only one point.
The film crew tries to mimic what we already do naturally with our eyes when we are there.

If you think like that while making any video at all - you maximize the impact the video has on the viewer.
I think @Captain Murphy has done this well in his videos already :)

It is also very easy for me to use those effects to create the right music for it as well.

Sorry for the long post, and for listing allot of stuff I am sure most of you already know - but just making sure it is accounted for in the process :ship

Really looking forward to show the world how far we have come!!! :aar

**Edit: Just fixed some spelling errors :p

Last edited:
Barrels and Rocks have Captain Murphy. Stuff is ingame. At the harbor I work at the moment.

The trailer will be whichever way the person who makes it actually does that.

I was wondering on how to accomplish it.
What if @Captain Murphy, @Giony and @RobinPC all make a bunch of shots to show off their work?
They have already made videos before and once they're done, they can upload the video files to the FTP.
Then @Flannery can edit them together like before and add the appropriate music. After all, Flannery did the previous Trailer too.

That should cover at least most of the above. Then depending on what we get,
we could decide if we want talking, explanatory written text or just let the images speak for themselves.

For reference, see some previous PiratesAhoy! Trailers, starting with the actual Hearts of Oak one:

Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons Beta 2:

Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons Beta 3:

All slightly different approaches, but they do get the point across.:yes

I am fine with that if that is possible :)

If Captain Murphy and the gang are able to acquire such shots for me, we could start a PM for sharing ideas it and brainstorm it :)
I could even draw up a small storyboard for them with what I am thinking of, if preferred.

I am not saying it has to be like this - this is just what I am thinking at the moment, but I am more than happy to discuss what is possible with them.
If we go for some dramatic voicing for it, I am more than happy to do that like the last time - And if we go for a developer explaining approach - I think Captain Murphy's voice works fantastic as it does in his videos.

I'm sure I would be well impressed by whatever you end up doing. Hopefully the other gents will be up for this as well. :cheers

Good stuff, matey! :cheers
It's still far from finished. The things in the video aren't even completed yet. For instance the trees will be different , and a lot of bushes will appear soon.

This is very promising stuff :)

That looks quite good RobinPC! :onya

I could narrate! If you want to know what I sound like check out a video on my YouTube channel. I have high quality recording equipment as well.

@Captain Murphy: What are your thoughts on doing a trailer soon?
If need be, perhaps we can just take shots from your Development Series and edit them together into something coherent.

I could narrate! If you want to know what I sound like check out a video on my YouTube channel. I have high quality recording equipment as well.
Cool, mate! I think that makes two of you: @Flannery was also willing to do that.
Might be fun to use two voices though for different purposes. If we can add story content, we could have one narrator and one character, for example.

Back