• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons: Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Piracy never dies! That's a bad thing when we're talking about real life pirates, but NOT when we're referring to our latest release. So what's new? Read on to find out!

As usual, there's a whole bunch of fixes in there. But what NEW stuff is there to enjoy?

Well, a huge amount of work has been done on the ships for a start. Existing ships were improved, with better textures, more accurate rigging and more ropes. Additionally, we finally figured out how to increase the draw distance for the ropes and the rigging so that you'll be able to see it much more frequently.

However, there is also a whole bunch of brand new high-detail ships, such as movie-accurate versions of the HMS Endeavour and HMS Dauntless at last, as well as a movie-accurate HMS Surprise from the Master & Commander movie. Additionally, the HMS Indefatigable in the Horatio Hornblower storyline also looks much better than before.

For a small sample of the improved ships, see these pictures:

However, a lot more can be found on our ModDB Profile's Images Page.

Gameplay has been much improved in sea battles, because non-player ships are now more aware of the wind direction and will tack properly. So that means they will no longer get caught out in Realistic Game Mode as before, making the battles more interesting than ever before.

Another massive improvement concerns some interface work that we've been wanting to do for a long time and have finally been able to do. All schematic ship icons in the game have been replaced with actual screenshots. This means that you can finally see properly what ship you are buying in the shipyard interface. Additionally, the Ship Repaint interface is helped hugely by this. And as icing on the cake, there is now proper descriptions for the ships in there, describing the colour scheme and providing historical background information. See here for a sample:

And for those who like our storylines, new parts have been added to the Bartolomeu o Portugues and Assassin storylines involving a completely new El Morro fortress location and Aztec treasure to be stolen from the Spanish!

So what are you waiting for? Head over to our Build 14 Beta 1 Forum Thread and get your dose of piratey, nautical and historical fun today!​

I wrote the above article as promotional material for the ModDB and PiratesAhoy! main site.
If anyone has any comments, let me know.

The images are a bit huge, but they appear fine on the ModDB; for the main site, they will probably need to be tweaked a bit.

WOOHOO! The above article has been authorized on the ModDB and is now posted on the main www.moddb.com for everybody to see. That should help with promoting out new release! :woot
Additionally, at the moment PotC: New Horizons is ranked at 18 of 14,425. I reckon that's pretty darn good for a game from 2003, even if we won't be able to hold that rank for very long.

On a related note, thanks to everybody who has regularly been posting images and videos to the ModDB!
The Stats show very clearly that has been helping. We've never been so consistently popular before the Leaving Port video was posted.
Please keep it up! :bow

Additionally, at the moment PotC: New Horizons is ranked at 18 of 14,425.
What, seriously?! That's brilliant by today's standards! :woot
Of course, I'm sure the recent film has helped a bit, probably because of more people Googling it.
And things like getting articles on the main ModDB page will be a huge advantage!

Now, let's just hope some more coders will notice us... :wp

Wow; we even made it onto that "banner" thingey they've got on the ModDB main page. I like it! :woot

Who has access to the ModDB New Horizons Stats page? http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/stats
Seems there was a huge spike in downloads on the 24th of May that started a couple of days before; coincides quite closely with the PotC 4 movie release date.
Also, right now is the highest number of visitors on record in the history of our ModDB profile; it shows 766 hits so far today.

This is simply amazing! Our popularity is soaring all of a sudden! It's now well over 1200 hits so far today! :dance

I don't expect we will; I'm already thoroughly surprised at reaching #5.
In any case, somebody else will need to monitor it because I'm going to bed! :razz

I don't think I've ever seen this before: http://www.gamespot.com/users/WarPig909/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25780705
Though obviously somebody else from our community did! :razz

And through some sort of bizarre detour, we ended up on this page: http://www.museumstuff.com/learn/topics/Eduardo_Villanueva_Pirates_of_the_Caribbean

This page already contains a blurb about our modpack, but obviously it is severely lacking: http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_(game)
Also, is it just me or does that PotC Wiki logo look strangely familiar?
Main_Page_title.png

On Wikipedia, we're also mentioned but it's short as can be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_(game)

Another thought is that when people post videos to the ModDB, they can post them on YouTube as well, making sure to have a link to this site attached to the movie somewhere.

Still at number 5 and have both the article and in the tab for 'most popular mods' on main page :cheeky

Interesting fact: know the forum for 1&3 (same forum) and they use ModDB as their only source of download so top effort guys :onya

Well, we made it into the top 5 for a while, so I'm amazed.
We had 1751 visitors in total yesterday, which is the biggest peak ever.
The previous highest one was merely 530, so we topped that.
BY 300%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back